Pirates of Equus 71 members · 13 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

We all know that in every portae story, there are ships.
Now imagine, what ship would there be?
Airships? Pirate ships? Galleons? Frigates?
The possibilities are endless!

Sadly, not all of us have that general knowledge.
:pinkiehappy:

If you'd like to discuss the naming of particular ships, I could offer a few suggestions for the name of Luna's flagship:

"HMS Starlight"

"The Silver Ghost"

"The Radiant Mercy"

"Canterlotia"

"Enchantress"

Salted Pingas
Group Admin

1862014 Wikipedia is probably best wiki in this regard.:duck:

:trollestia:

JumpingShinyFrogs
Group Contributor

1862024 Can I add 'The Shadowed Sail'? I just liked the sound of it.

Warren Peace
Group Contributor

1862014 A Carrack of a Caravel are two possible choices when it comes to design.

I'd favor the Carrack if you're more into fighting as it's probably a slower design, but one with more room for cannons and whatnot. I believe that this is what ships like Pirates of the Carribean's Black Pearl was.

If you're more for exploration and speed then a Caravel would be a better choice. Can't think of a good example for this, but there was one in Disney's original Alladin if I remember right (or it was just a ship with Lateen sails).

I believe that the biggest difference between these two is that the carrack design does have towers (or raised platforms) at the bow and/or stern while the caravel does not.

Additionally, you'll want to factor in what sails you want to take. The famous square-sets (see carrack image) are excellent when the wind is at your back, but otherwise suck. Lateen sails on the other hand (see caravel image) can be used to sail against the wind due to their unique design.

Food for though if you wish it.

Flintlock Spark
Group Admin

1862014 Truthfully I was loving the idea of an air ship. My thought on that was that it would be a little more interesting. I mentioned it in the beginning but it didn't seem to catch very much attention. So its whatever the group wants really.

Warren Peace
Group Contributor

1863539 Why not a combination vehicle? If the wind sucks then just inflate the balloons and soar above the seas on higher wind currents! Plus, I don't remember that being done before outside that animated Sinbad movie some years ago. Even then the ship wasn't originally designed to pull off flight.

Plus, if you guys decide to use my villain detailed here (at the very end), it'd be interesting to pit two ship/blimps against each other.

Flintlock Spark
Group Admin

1864298 I like your thinking. Wanna join to google folder? If so just give me your gmail, or pm it to me if you'd rather do that.

Salted Pingas
Group Admin

1866124 I can add 1864298, one sec.:twilightblush:

:trollestia:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9