Starswirl the Bearded 234 members · 183 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

So, this mysterious Wizard who apparently was around for the founding of Equestria, knew the Princesses personally, managed to befriend one of two invading brothers, and now was responsible for banishing the villains of Rainbow Rocks to the human world. This character is getting more interesting by the season, you think he's due for an appearance? Whether or not its true, its certainly interesting giving ideas on what he was like.

So, question time. What do you think Starswirl is like?

Personally I can see him as a mold between Merlin (Powerful Wizard, adviser to royalty), Tywin Lannister from GoT (Intelligent, methodical, practical and frightening), Saruman (Powerful voice, commands respect from his peers and those higher than him, doesn't understand friendship in his early years) and Gandalf (but learns how strong it can be later on, and develops a strong, indomitable conscience and a clear sense of right and wrong - Also he deliberatly leaves his unfinished spell....well.....unfinished, even when he learns this lesson, because he feels the honour should go to someone else who understands it better then he does.)

It could be interesting to see someone as cynical and terrifying yet kind and loyal make an appearance in the show. Might make some interesting character interactions between him and Twilight, both a product of their times, and both cynical at one point.

So what do you Stallions and Mares think? How do you view Starswirl the Bearded?

Honestly, the idea that he even knew the princesses is contradicted by canon; some things seem to imply it, but on the other hand, he was Clover the Clever's mentor, and Clover the Clever predates the Princesses, who are completely unmentioned in Hearth's Warming Eve and thus I have to assume weren't even born yet.

Really, he was a crotchety, friendless old man per Celestia saying that he didn't understand the magic of friendship, which was why his spell didn't work.

3717512 OK that's a good point, on the other hand we don't know how magic effects aging. Celestia, Luna, Discord, Sombra and Tirek all were alive a thousand years ago. Who's to say Starswirl (whilst not being completely immortal) could not also live for a really long time? (As is evidenced by the season 4 finale, he was revealed to be alive during the early years of the sisters reign)

And like I said, who's to say he didn't later learn to understand friendship, but deliberately left his last spell unfinished? This is all just head cannon territory, but considering what I know of him so far, it seems to fit his cannon story well so far.

Well, Celestia told us in the season 3 finale that he didn't understand friendship the way that they did.

It is of course plausible that he was a very old pony when Luna and Celestia were young, though it is also worth noting that the wizard who befriended Scorpan wasn't actually named in the season 4 finale.

Admittedly, I see him as viewing himself as something of a failure; he had high standards for himself, and didn't surround himself with love and friendship but kept on driving forward with his magic, possibly at the cost of all else.

I've actually written a couple (contradictory) stories about his dying days: The Pony and the Phoenix, and The Dying Words of Starswirl the Bearded.

3717678 He was in Starswirl's outfit! And he had a big beard! He's either Starswirl, or a very convincing look-alike. Besides, how many other wizards were named in the show?

All wizards of the pre-classical era are depicted in that way, clearly. How else would old, wise unicorn wizards dress?

This is even true of Clover the Clever, who was a mare and yet still was depicted as having a beard. Lazy artists.

3717698 I think they would dress depending on their tastes. There's no rule that states all Unicorn Mages must have bright blue robes with a pointy wizards hat and bells. But OK, if you think that Wizard wasn't Starswirl (although he's a dead-ringer!) then fine, I just think it was, because there's only one mage that's been depicted in the series as having worn that specific ensemble.
Oh and just because I'm a Lord of the Rings fan.......

At the Unicorn Mages Academy....

Arch Mage: "May I introduce your new Defensive magic teacher"
Starswirl: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"
Arch Mage: "Hey! They haven't even started semester yet.

It was a joke about people being lazy about depicting people in the past in the same way. It is hard to say whether or not the writers intended it to be Starswirl the Bearded or not, because the wizard is never named, and they may have just told the animators "draw an ancient pony wizard".

Arch Mage: "May I introduce your new Defensive magic teacher"
Starswirl: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"
Arch Mage: "Hey! They haven't even started semester yet.

I depicted Star Swirl in two works (the fic The Pegasi Take Canterlot and the radio play Incursion of the Daleks). In both instances, I wrote him as irritable but respected. Though he wanted to be left alone, he was on good terms with both the Princesses and the Doctor (and friendly enough towards Fluttershy).

I don't think Celestia implied that Star Swirl was friendless; perhaps simply that friends weren't exactly high on his priorities list. Also, being perhaps the most talented wizard in Equestrian history, it's entirely possible Star Swirl had an extended lifespan in much the same manner as Celestia and Luna do. Think Merlin, I guess?

I like to think Star Swirl is much like an older and wiser Twilight Sparkle. Based on what we know, I like to imagine him as a friendly enough guy, smiles a lot, but is often very engrossed in his studies and research. Sort of like a 'think Twilight Sparkle had she never made friends' scenario. Unlike Twilight, however, I like to think he's generally more relaxed (though this itself maybe more attributed to being older and stressing less over small things).

3717777 Oh right, sorry. Hard to tell sometimes whether or not someones telling a joke in the comments.

Yes, tone of voice does not communicate very well over the internet sometimes. It's alright. :heart:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13