The Known World 327 members · 84 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

the flag of the Iron Islands

The Iron Islands lie southeast of Equestria, and are the most recent country to emerge, being founded only a few years after the Lunar Republic.

It is interesting to note that these islands were formerly called the Bronze Islands (due to the color the sea takes when the sun sets or rises), but were re-named by their first ruler, who was quoted as saying:

"Bronze must always give way to iron."

Though the islands have been inhabited by griffons for the past several thousand years, the fact is that the islands were considered unofficial Equestrian territories, and were more or less leaderless.

That was when the White Kraken came. she united the islands, declaring herself the Queen, re-naming the islands, and donning a crown carved from driftwood.

Under this ruler, the islands have prospered, working with Concordia and Neighpon in iron and copper production. The country has declared close ties with Neighpon, Concordia, North Griffonia, the Lunar Republic, and Serengeti, but has consistently refused to acknowledge any offers of friendship from Equestria.

Little is known about the queen known as "the White Kraken", but one fact is known: she is not a griffon. She is a changeling, my now resurrected sister, Moth.

The Iron Islands have also quickly amassed a navy, consisting of swift-moving longboats based on those of the long-gone caribou, along with a pod of Orcas. The navy can be described as "Corsairs given special status", though "Reavers" or "the Queen's Reavers" are the given names of the navy's members.

The islands contain little area for growing crops, but this matters little, as the griffons mostly subsist on seafood

"We do not sow. The sea gives us what we need."- the White Kraken

A nation of pirates ruled by a sea monster? Now THAT is a concept I can get behind. Also, this place needs a Captain Nemo (though given the fact that the dominant form of naval vessel are viking longboats rather than nuclear submarines, that seems unlikely).

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

4435518 she's not a sea monster. it's a title, like "Celestia the Sun Bringer", this is "???? the White Kraken"

Chaotic Note
Group Admin

i am reminded of the Witcher games' Skellige Isles.

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

4435603 the main inspiration was actually the Iron Isles from a Song of Ice and Fire (aka, the Game of Thrones series)

the identity of "the White Kraken" is actually hidden in the text here

I do wonder why they refuse any treaty with Equestria, there is a story there for damn sure, especially if they have close ties to what I am guessing are allies of Equestria and the Twin Thrones.

4435665 If I recall correctly, one of them (Lunar 'Republic') is as friendly to Equestria as Iran or Venezuela is friendly to the US.

Should have figured that

Damn, sentient krakens would've been awesome (or eldritch-level horrifying depending on how you look at it). I mean, cephalopods are already pretty smart, so a giant cephalopod being sentient is something I could believe. Or maybe the fact that the "Iron Islands" instantly made me think of the Iron Mountains AKA the Mounts of Madness (from H.P. Lovecraft) and thus in turn instantly thought of Captain Nemo and his nuclear-powered Nautilus is a sign that I've been reading too many "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" comics lately.

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

4436141 yeah.

the identity of the White Kraken is in white text

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

4435867 the Lunar Republic is friendly to Equestria, they're just strict about border security (Twilight was kept in prison overnight. the reason: her passport still said she was a unicorn instead of an alicorn)

Yes, I saw. Hence my "damn."

"WHAT IS DEAD MAY NEVER DIE!"
'Bonk'
"Thought he'd never shut up"

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

5698263 yeah, my sister's a better ruler than those guys

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14