Project Nautilus 8 members · 1 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
Wingless
Group Admin

So it was brought up that current technology levels of all native species of the pony world should be explained. FenrisianBrony talked about the internal combustion engine being thought outdated since magical tech, in a sense, would be more environmentally safe, and possibly cheaper. (Super Speedy Cider Squeezy) Therefore, the engine could be used by less technologically advanced races on the planet.

With this thought, I figured it would be a smart idea to discuss what the tech levels the species of the world are. Motors, lighting, and generators for electricity. Refrigerators, are they using the old ammonia cooled, Freon cooled, or maybe magically cooled? A/C or cooling spell? Central heat or just the fireplaces or wood stoves? I know we saw the old school reel-to-reel projector, but could that just be because of the date of the film watched, and should they have mass media in television and radio? I'm thinking internet and phones are right out, at least for the ponies, but could circuit boards be available? Maybe instead of our two dimensional 1/0 circuit boards, maybe they use a crystalline switch, making it three dimensional? With more storage space of information?

For medicine do they focus solely on medical healing, or what is conventional for humans? Mass production? Airships? Military tech? Do they have "guns" or just stick to knives, swords, spears, crossbows, magic, and maybe cannons?

I think with our humans being only slightly technologically advanced to what we see on the show, this is something that really needs to be discussed. Please post below any form of tech that may need to be explained.

FenrisianBrony
Group Contributor

What about ponies use magi-tech, as they are really the only race who we know can use magic on a large scale, perhaps the zebras could use it as well, while the rest of the world has to either make do with old internal combustion engines, ammonia cooled fridges/freezers, fireplaces, or have unicorns 'lent' to them by equestria to power the magic tech.
As for airships, we've seen that they have them in Sweet and Elite, and considering the fact that Pinkie has a party cannon, I reckon it's safe to say they have at least cannons, if not gunpowder weapons. If people did want gunpowder weapons for the ponies, maybe the Canterlot guard aren't issued them, but the regular army is?
That's about all I can think off at the moment, may be back on after I wake up.

Carpinus Caroliniana
Group Contributor

Mass produced circuit boards date to the 1950s but the idea dates to the early 1900s.

I believe Ponies could have them but they'd probably use miniaturized vacuum tubes instead of transistors.

TheFullCrumb
Group Contributor

I agree with Velkaden on the aspect of technology.

MrManWriter
Group Contributor

I always perceived ponies and technology to more along the lines of 1931-ish America. Where a few ponies/griffins/what-have-you, know and have very advanced technology (for the age.) But the average pony has no idea what said technology is call or how it works.
Sorry this is more society-related but its connected to Technology and it applied to the topic.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5