The Writing Lab 82 members · 29 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
Rocinante
Group Admin

I want to have regular challenges in here, so lets start now.

length: 1,500 to 3,000

Introduce an OC and leave the story in a cliffhanger. Whoever has the most infuriating cliffhanger wins. The challenge is really about developing a character quickly and making the audience care.

Submit your story into the folder labeled 'cliffhanger contest'. Last day to submit will be Aug-5

I'm in :pinkiehappy: I'll get writing soon till then :rainbowwild:

Here is my entry for the contest.
Here

Uh... its august 6th...

Rocinante
Group Admin

Yeppers.

And I have no idea why I'm up at 2a.m. Actually I do, my allergies woke me up. Waiting for the benadryl to kick in right now.

In other news: Thank you to everyone that contributed a story to the folder. I'll give odd, knees, and redemption a review tomorrow... today.

Rocinante
Group Admin

I have left comments on each of the stories. I want to thank all of you for submitting. Please take the time to read the stories yourself, they each have their own strengths. Please keep writing, and reading. It's a skill and like all skills it takes practice to get better. That said everything I read could lead into great story arcs.

If you have a suggestion for the next contest please post them below.

With that done I would like to ask, what did you learn form this?

Myself, I learned to think more about the character and less about the world. I went through three drafts, before I realized I was more world building than character building.

Personally, I learned a bit more about action scenes. Well, I got experience, at least. I tried to play around with the transitions, attributing words, and the amount of detail. The action scene in this story is far different from the few others I have written, all of which were at a very fast pace, and over rather quickly.

The suggestion I would like to make is "Getting lost."

I've never written about anybody getting lost, and I think this would be interesting to tackle.

Oh, and thank you for the positive feedback! I think that's the nicest critique I have ever received! :twilightsmile:

Rocinante
Group Admin

1464957 Ahh transitions; that's a good topic. The best advice I have for that, is to read your work out loud. If it sounds awkward, it reads awkward. Sometimes I'll use a text-to-speech program to read back action scenes to me.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8