Good Grammar Directory 633 members · 1,979 stories
Comments ( 39 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 39
Fistfire
Group Admin

As of this posting there are over 900 stories to be reviewed. And since I seem to be the only admin active anymore, it's a daunting task. Therefore I will be going through them the most recent first. I don't like reading the mature stuff, so if any of you out there want to tackle them, be my guest. Let me know if you are interested in prereading anything

Remember to add the stories to the main group as well as the other categories they pertain to.

Voldine
Group Contributor

5973510 This is where I point out the irony in 'prereaders' being misspelled...

Fistfire
Group Admin

5973541 fixed. As you can see I need all the help I can get

Sleepy Panda
Group Contributor

Yet the title isn't fixed. :unsuresweetie:

I'm incredibly busy right now, but if there's any 1k or so word stories I might be able to knock one or two out.

Fistfire
Group Admin

5973559 just fixed it... Again. Sure, just look through the list whenever you can

LonelyLullaby
Group Contributor

5973510 Well, it seems like a good cause to join, count me in. :twilightsmile:

Fistfire
Group Admin

5973573 welcome to the group!:pinkiehappy:

Voldine
Group Contributor

5973510 I'd say count me in, but my only reliable net access is a phone and I LOATHE writing anything of notable length on it.

I just copy and paste from an RTF to post my stuff.

Fistfire
Group Admin

5973681 Welcome to the group!

Voldine
Group Contributor

5974292 I shall use this power responsibly...and not push my own stuff through without a second opinion.

Fistfire
Group Admin

5974300 That's all I ask. Should i create a thread for rules for pre readers?

Voldine
Group Contributor

5974309 That would be a logical idea.

Rule 0: Don't push your own works through.

Fistfire
Group Admin

5973541 5973559 5973573
For now, I have added another folder to the 'User Submissions: Not Yet Graded' folder called 'Stories to be Deleted from this folder' because apparently as a contributor, you cant delete submissions.

Voldine
Group Contributor

5974536 You can, but only if you're the one who put them in there. Accidentally dropped the old backlog into gore; was able to remove it from gore but not from 'not yet graded.'

Sleepy Panda
Group Contributor

I'm assuming I should just PM the people whose stories I'm going to go over? I'm not super familiar with how this group works.

Voldine
Group Contributor

5974542 The story I went over had a previous ruling in the comments.

The backlog folder has some in it that have already been accepted. Check the comments on the first chapter before even bothering to read it in case it has already been cleared without being removed.

Fistfire
Group Admin

5974542 Neither am I. Still working on the rules
5974552 sounds like a plan

Fistfire
Group Admin

5974552 5974542 5973573 This a good example of commenting and the formatting I will probably adopt
I'm putting together a set of rules based on our discussions here shortly... Stay tuned!

Voldine
Group Contributor

5974632 I've left comments on the stories quoting and detailing the errors when I mark them as in need of improvement.

Strangely, both of them so far have failed within the first two paragraphs. I'm not even counting words yet because three instances of the same error in the first minute of reading tells me enough.

Fistfire
Group Admin

5974646 Apparently, 'The Most Magical Unicorn' has already been approved by someone else, and once approved, cannot be revoked by the current rules. Sorry to disappoint. I would suggest editing your comment in the story to redact your comments. This is only a suggestion, but it would be the right thing to do. :twilightsmile: Not to mention good PR:pinkiehappy:

Voldine
Group Contributor

5974675 Oh...whoops.

Fistfire
Group Admin

5974678 you may want to check the others as well. Thanks for your understanding:twilightsmile:

Voldine
Group Contributor

5974682 I just did a quick glance at the groups tab of the others, and the only checkmarks visible are in the 'delete' and 'failed' folders aside from the basic submissions folder.

Fistfire
Group Admin

5974689 what do you mean by 'checkmarks'?

Voldine
Group Contributor

5974696 I'm not sure how it appears on computers, but when adding a story to a group from the story page on a phone there's a long list of the group folders with a green circle and white checkmark to indicate where the story has been filed in the group. I must have not noticed the one on the Trixie story, but it still needs to be removed from the 'pending review' folder.

Voldine
Group Contributor

5974559 Speaking of rules, I think an addendum should be added to the spelling error rule on our group front page regarding valid alternative spellings. Color versus colour, for example; where one is the American spelling and the other is British, but both are correct spellings as long as it is consistent.

Fistfire
Group Admin

5974707 I never noticed that before, thanks. that will make it easier for me.

Fistfire
Group Admin

5973541 5973559 5973573 i have a document of rules for prereaders to be looked at this thread

LonelyLullaby
Group Contributor

5975436 Cool. I’ll look into it first thing tomorrow, I’m a bit busy atm.

Fistfire
Group Admin

5976075 also I am able to quickly clear the backlog of fics that have been looked at but not deleted from the 'in's review's folder.its tedious but I already cleared two pages of stuff
Edited: Well it looks like I was able to clear all of the ones that have been proofread already

LonelyLullaby
Group Contributor

5976587 Well, I’m glad it isn’t too hard a job, since you’re the only one who can do it :trollestia::trollestia:

5973681>>5973559 Feel free to come over to the doc and give your own feedback. That is to say, it would be great if you could come by. :twilightsmile:

LonelyLullaby
Group Contributor

5975436 5973559 5973681 Whew, it took quite longer than expected, but there’s finally a first draft with all the rules, questions and concerns involving prereaders ready!

Leave all the thoughts, suggestions and changes you come up with.

Fistfire
Group Admin

5977288. Work got in the way today. I will look at it tonight

Count me in.

LonelyLullaby
Group Contributor

5982528 Well then, here's all you need to know. :twilightsmile:

Q1: I pride myself on being meticulous about grammar, how can I help to make the Good Grammar Directory great again?

If you think you have what it takes, contact us via this thread or talk to one of our active admins (preferably Fistfire) and we will look through your stories/blog posts and see how well-founded your thoughts are. If you are an editor/proofreader, link us to one of the stories you’ve worked on instead. If neither of the former applies to you (you have no published stories/blog posts and you’ve never edited/proofread for any author), but you are still willing to help and confident in your grammar skills, then pick any story from our “User Submissions: Not Yet Graded” folder (please, no Mature-tagged stories) and, in a google doc, proofread the description and first chapter, correcting any grammatical error you can find in suggest mode (that way, we can see both the original error and your intended correction). Then, send us a link to the document and the story via PM.

Dream Seeker
Group Contributor

If you’re still looking, I’d be willing to pour some of my time into this. Assuming my grammar is good enough.

Fistfire
Group Admin

I've been looking over your stories. Do you proofread your own stories as well as getting another set of eyes on to them? And yes, I am always looking for more prereaders.

Dream Seeker
Group Contributor

I generally tend to proofread my own. Though I have in the past had another set of eyes on them, the vast majority are personally edited.
Also, keep in mind that most of my stories were written years ago, at this point, and I don't quite remember whether I fully understood my grammar rules back then, particularly the more obscure ones relating to dialogue.

Oh, and just in case you missed it: Most of my stories are in the 'Submissions' box, so if you're going to be reading them to test my grammar anyway, you might as well deal with them there at the same time.

Fistfire
Group Admin

Life has gotten in the way of me prrereading. So I haven't been able to look at the list. I'll get those that I looked at sorted out.

Make sure you read all the rules, that should answer most of your questions. PMMe if you have anymore concerns. Welcome to the family!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 39