Joker's Asylum 61 members · 29 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Bill Clinton
Group Admin

HIGH TENSION (2005) #10
A psychotic truck driver invades a home one night, killing the family and kidnapping the daughter. He doesn't realize, though, that the daughter's friend, Marie, was spending the night at the house, and she hitches a ride in the back of the killer's truck in order to help free her friend. Then things get weird...
Spoiler Alert!! The male killer we see throughout the film is actually a figment of Marie's imagination. She's the one doing all of the slicing and dicing. It's one of those improbable endings that explains away the inconsistencies by stating that everything was seen through the eyes of a crazy person. The same thing happed with Glitter.

THE WICKER MAN (1973) #9
An uptight British policeman investigates a missing child on a British isle that celebrates pagan customs. Although considered to be a horror classic, the only real moment of horror comes in the movie's final moments.
Spoiler Alert!! The story of the missing girl was made up to lure the cop to the island so that he could be sacrificed to the inhabitants' pagan gods in a burning "wicker man." Weenie roast at 8:00 by the goat's skull!

THE ORPHANAGE (2008) #8
Soon after a couple moves into an abandoned orphanage, their young son goes missing, and the mother suspects that the ghost of a boy she saw with a bag over his head might be responsible.
Spoiler Alert!! The ending is open to interpretation, but from what I gather, the house is haunted, but the "ghost" that the mother sees is in fact her son dressed as the bag-headed ghost boy. After she punishes him for misbehaving, the son puts a bag on his head, attacks his mother, then gets scared and runs to hide in a secret room accessible through a closet, where he falls down and dies. In the mother's haste to find him, she inadvertently knocks over a post in the closet that blocks the secret passage, preventing the son's body from being found.

DIABOLIQUE (1964) #7
A wife plots to kill her husband with her husband's mistress, but after the deed is done, the body disappears. This French film actually includes a message at the end warning viewers not to reveal the twist ending to people who haven't seen it. Oh well...
Spoiler Alert!! The husband isn't really dead. He and the mistress plot to make the wife think he's dead, then scare her into having a heart attack.

BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974) #6
A sorority house must deal with a series of threatening phone calls and the disappearances of some of their sisters.
Spoiler Alert Five years before When a Stranger Calls, Black Christmas originated the "crank calls coming from inside the house" routine and put it where it should be: at the film's climax. Granted, this revelation isn't terribly surprising, since we see the killer systematically picking off sorority figures inside the house, but it was influential, and the film's final twist is that the man who dies and is assumed to be the killer turns out not to be the one. He's still INSIDE THE HOUSE.

ANGEL HEART (1987) #5
A private investigator in the '50s named Harry Angel is hired to find a former singer named Johnny Favorite, who disappeared after fighting in World War II. During his investigation, Angel stumbles upon a series of murders on the way to a shocking revelation.
Spoiler Alert Harry is Johnny. Johnny killed the real Harry and assumed his identity, then was drafted into the war and got injured, requiring extensive facial surgery and causing amnesia -- so he doesn't realize who he is, and no one recognizes him. Furthermore, Harry/Johnny is the person killing all of the people, under the influence of the man who hired him...Satan himself! (who looks surprisingly like Robert De Niro)

SEVEN (1995) #4
Two police detectives, Mills and Somerset, try to catch a serial killer who chooses victims who break one of the seven deadly sins. As we reach the climax, the killer has accounted for five of the seven sins, until...the box.
Spoiler Alert The killer offers to take Mills and Somerset to the location of the sixth and seventh victims. When they arrive at the barren outdoor location, a delivery van drives up and drops off a box containing Mills' wife's head -- thankfully, not C.O.D. The killer confesses that he killed her because he was envious (the sixth sin) of the Mills' family life. Mills, using his wrath (the seventh sin), then shoots him dead, all according to the killer's plans.

FRIDAY THE 13 #3
A boy named Jason drowns at Camp Crystal Lake in 1957, and a year later, when two counselors are murdered, the camp is closed down. Jason's body is never found, and he's rumored to still be lurking. Twenty-two years later, it reopens, only to have a killer begin stalking the camp counselors once again.
Spoiler Alert Is Jason responsible for the deaths? No, it's his mother, Mrs. Vorhees, wearing a fashionable sweater. But wait, there's more! The last remaining counselor, Alice, kills Mrs. Vorhees and goes for a gentle float in a canoe -- at which point Jason's decaying little boy body jumps out of the water and drags her under. The police eventually pull her out, and Jason is never heard from again...except 11 or so more times.

SLEEPAWAY CAMP (1983) #2
Mousy teenager Angela is sent to summer camp, only to be caught in the midst of a rash of murders. This cheap slasher is by all accounts worthless and would've faded into obscurity if not for the final jaw-dropping, tape-rewinding, pause-and-stare-and-call-your-friends-over-to-stare moment.
Spoiler Alert Angela turns out to be not only the killer, but a boy as well. Angela is actually Peter, Angela's brother. The real Angela died years earlier, and Peter assumed her identity after being dressed up in girl's clothing by their aunt. We realize that she is really a he during the film's climax, when he reveals himself in all his glory, naked beside the lake, holding the head of his final victim. Eat your heart out, Crying Game.

THE SIXTH SENSE (1999) #1
Child psychologist Malcolm Crowe is working with a boy named Cole who claims to be able to "see dead people." At first, Malcolm is skeptical but eventually comes to believe in the child's ability.
Spoiler Alert! Malcolm helps Cole learn to use his power for good. The end. Oh, and Malcolm is really a ghost who doesn't realize he's dead. When anyone mentions "twist ending," The Sixth Sense comes to mind, and for better or worse (probably worse), it's spawned a generation of films that feel they must "trick" the viewer into liking them. Pretty sneaky, sis.

1133714 i like the black christmas one. i mean, its the movie that inspired Halloween for the love of god. i also like how the killer is not revealed, and i heard from the director of the movie, who is the same one who made the movie, 'A Christmas Story', said, that if he ever did a sequel to that movie, he would have that the killer would return to the house and have other shit happen. besides, it not that great of a twisit, i guess.

now, i ahve seen the movie dark skies, and that movie has about three twists, and let me tell you, it is some pretty weak twists. i mean, you ask yourself, what the fuck!? it was just horriable.

i mean, it turns out that the aliens wanted the older brother the entire time, they have been watching the family ever since he was born, and that he is still alive. fucking weak as shit man.

This French film actually includes a message at the end warning viewers not to reveal the twist ending to people who haven't seen it. Oh well...

Comment posted by Bill Clinton deleted Jun 18th, 2013

good:moustache:

by giving that answer you have avoided losing the respect of one of your patients here at the asylum:moustache:

I really liked Alien. It's sequal was awesome too.
You should have put The Thing on your list.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7