The Sunfall Universe 82 members · 6 stories
Comments ( 145 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 145
Airstream
Group Admin

Anyone still up? I'm currently taking a bit of a breather before diving back into writing tomorrow. Went out to a BBQ festival in DC today, bought lots of books for when I finish the story. If any of you have questions, comments, or just want to chat, I'm up!

FloydienSlip
Group Admin

1157974 I'm still up.

Hey hey hey!
Will there be three story's for sure in the series?

Airstream
Group Admin

Awesome! This is a pretty cool group, thanks for putting it together.

FloydienSlip
Group Admin

1157981 No problem. I figured that with all the world-building you'd done, it needed a group.

Airstream
Group Admin

Yeppers. Three definitely. A very distant possibility of four, but that's way in the future.

Airstream
Group Admin

I think world building is probably my favorite part of writing. It's fun.

FloydienSlip
Group Admin

I'm curious now. What will the third focus on? It'll obviously be after Twilight defeats Celestia or vice versa, but I can't imagine what you're going to do with it.

Sexy...Wanna read my short crackfic :raritywink: Pretty pwease

I think the shadow's defiantly going to be coming into play.
Also Celestia is not going to go down easy.
And Discord might be freed.

Airstream
Group Admin

The third volume in the Trilogy will be preceded by a series of short stories, setting the mood and the tone and introducing some of the major players. I'm doing a lot of research for them right now, actually. Pirates, Templars, and the Sidhe are among the topics.

Airstream
Group Admin

Lay it on me, brony.

Templars eh? Fun.

Can you give the general idea of where the second will end?

Airstream
Group Admin

With a wedding.

Here's a question. Do you have any tips for world building?

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN

Well considering what happen last time there was a major wedding...

Airstream
Group Admin

Every one of the guests was killed, ensuring that The North would never again thwart the Lannisters?

1158024 Oh gosh. Let's hope it's better than the last one.

Actually I think the boy king died and the death was blamed on the dwarf and his young wife.

This is me at the moment.

FloydienSlip
Group Admin

1158011 Ooh, very interesting. I'll be looking forward to those! :twilightsmile:

Also, will "A Hearth's Warming Wassailing" be finished before DDG?

Airstream
Group Admin

I started off with drawing maps. Islands are easy to do, just drawing coastlines and such. Then I'd fill in rivers, and then mountains where I wanted them. Rivers near mountains meant forests, and areas with few rivers were generally plains or deserts. Once the land was complete, I decided on what sort of races and species would live there. Orcs? Dragons? Elves? Humans? Where would they settle, and where would they make their cities? If humans are near orcs, are their conflicts? What do trade routes between cities look like? That's a good way to start.

Language came to me when I went through linguist training, where they had me look at how sentences are made, and how they can be re-arranged. English is subject-verb-object, like "Twilight went to the Library", whereas other languages like Farsi are subject-object-verb, like "Twilight to the library went". Consider how different languages would evolve, what sort of influences might have changed them.

Magic is fun to play with mainly because it lets you rewrite rules however you see fit. Taht's kind of the point. The trick is figuring out how to use it without making it too powerful or too weak. I like very powerful mages, and my stories reflect that. Then, of course, you have literal goddesses ruling over a population, so they're on another level entirely.

It's really a matter of letting things flow naturally, trying things out to see what does and does not work. Practice, and just like anything else, you'll be able to do it soon enough!

Airstream
Group Admin

Didn't I finish that?

FloydienSlip
Group Admin

1158061 It's marked as incomplete.

Airstream
Group Admin

Huh. So it is. Did I ever get around to writing that last chapter?

FloydienSlip
Group Admin

1158066 I have no idea. Why are you asking me, again? :unsuresweetie:

Airstream
Group Admin

Apparently I did not. So I guess that the answer to that original question would be no.

I was just looking through your favorites and you've got Pony POV series 0 favorited, have you read the others?

Or do you have no idea what i'm talking about?

Airstream
Group Admin

Have you seen the Red Wedding reaction videos on YouTube? They're hilarious.

I'm going to go look those up.

You have an amazing ability to find the widest array of YouTube videos ever.

Airstream
Group Admin

I have read them. It feels to me like the concept is very good, very dark, but the execution falls a bit flat.

Airstream
Group Admin

Oh, come now. You know me.

And that's why we worry.

Airstream
Group Admin

I'm glad I've established a reputation. Those are difficult to procure, especially the kind I like to have.

1158154 I'd like to think you want everyone to expect something and then surprise us all, but by expecting that you might surprise me. It's a paradox...

Airstream
Group Admin

See, you can trust the dishonest man to be dishonest. It's the honest ones you need to watch out for, because you can never tell when they're about to plant a knife squarely in your back. I like to mix.

1158208 Which is why I don't really bother with worrying about the future in your fics. It'll come and it'll be what it'll be. Otherwise I might drive myself crazy. On a completely different point, I can't wait to learn more about your magic system.

If a man is about to kill you, pray that he be an evil one. Evil men will gloat, a good man with kill without a word.

Airstream
Group Admin

I'm really excited to be teaching it. Already set up the group we'll use for class and everything. Created an alt account as well so it can remain private. But that's beside the point.

I've got a notebook about half full of worldbuilding, and another one slowly being filled with magical notes and assorted bits of lore. It's really cool.

Airstream
Group Admin

I take my inspiration for head-fuckery from the Sidhe, the real old-school faeries. Technical truths, omissions, misdirection, but never outright lies. That last chapter of Dusk in particular has everyone guessing in a completely different direction than how it's going to turn out.

The best lie is the one with a core of truth.

Lessons from the faeries? Great, this should be fun.

Now you've made me paranoid. I now have to expect the unexpected with the unexpected now becoming expected the expect kind of drifts and become once more unexpected, which of course I noticed and cling once more to the expected which mean the unexpected that was expected now becoming unexpected once more. Now I am thoroughly confused.

Also: GIVE ME YOUR NOTEBOOKS.:flutterrage:

1158267 I can't wait to get a chance to learn more lore from your world. It's incredible and one of the best out there. Old school faeries are the best. Manipulation to the utmost.

Airstream
Group Admin

I'm not kidding when I say it's never more than ten feet away from me. And it'll stay there, dammit.

Airstream
Group Admin

It's tough to do up to a point, and then once you get good enough it's the easiest thing in the world. You just need to watch where you put your words, and people make their own assumptions.

Hey you realize what just happened?

You mentioned faeries to me and a notebook to Subsolar Drift.

I commented on the notebooks, he talked about the faeries.

Airstream
Group Admin

I'm trying to move you both into the same thread of conversation, because manipulating two people at once is a bit difficult.

DAMMIT AIR STREAM, I TRUS-

Oh, wait. No I didn't.

1158346 Less variables makes it easier. Sometimes it's best to keep things simple.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 145