Mormon Bronies 108 members · 233 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Legion222
Group Admin

This is something I've been pondering for a while, and I want to get some input from other LDS Bronies.

Pony swears. You know a few, I'm sure. "Buck", "dear Celestia", Et cetera, Et cetera, Et cetera. What I'm wondering is, do you guys think that these are equitable to our "Mormon swears", or not?

This is an open discussion. Please do speak your mind on the subject. :twilightsmile:

Read on,
Legion

P.S. First Thread post in any group, ever! :yay:

As for "Dear Celestia"... Commandment is to not take our Lord's name in vain. Do you believe in Celestia? Do you profess to believe in Celestia? You aren't taking the name of the Lord in vain, you're taking Celestia's name in vain, and she's not even a god.

I really feel that any use of the word "buck" which is a ponyism for a human word that rhymes with it, should be avoided. It feels the same as using the F-word to me.

However, everything is fair game, even if you weren't using ponyfied words; just go easy on it, a really easy way to sound low-class is to have a lot of crude language and ejaculations in your story.

Legion222
Group Admin

A fair point. Thanks for your opinion.

I wasn't planning on using rampant swears of any kind in a story of mine, and I heartily agree that that is the quickest way to make your story sound bad.

Write on,
Legion

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

I have no problem with using Celestia's name in a few of my stories. However I try to use any form of 'not so good' language. My only exception is that I do often write stories that connect directly to reality, and I do use some things in there that Is a bit out of character for me. (Confession) For the most part, I just let people be people and do there thing.
Those are my thoughts.
Mr. Flare:moustache:

I feel that using "Celestia" in this context is fine, as well as "horseapples", "what the hoof", etc, but "buck" is in poor taste (same with fetchin', frickin', and flip). Of course, all of these ponyisms should by used sparingly.

Snowy_Fenrir
Group Admin

As a friend pointed out to me when I was telling him about this threat he responded, "These just little kid show swears that where made to be funny, not to cause harm." So I guess the point is write away.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6