Battleships 300 members · 78 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23
Eagle
Group Admin

You ever had one of those times when you do something simply cause you've got nothing else? It's 5 in the morning, I can't sleep at all, all my work I'm either waiting for something or just can't write it well right now, I'm too tired to practice instruments, and video games just got boring. This'd be one of those times.

I always see the field of military-based work as having a massive amount of potential; not just in books based on real works, but also in fictional scenario senses. Since is ties into alternate history a tad, the potential can be limitless, provided your imagination is big enough. Of course non-fiction works are excellent, but there's a certain mysticism that comes with fictional conflicts.

Despite having such appeal and a large amount of work, it's a relatively underground series. Usually the first thing someone would think of when they think military books would be along the lines of Band of Brothers, and military fiction would immediately lead one to Tom Clancy, the virtual king of fictional military-based works. Thing is, I find so many other works that are rather good, but also unknown. I guess the point is to bring some of these out into the light and look at them. You might even be interested enough to read one or two.

Spoilers ahead: medium to low
The Third World War
-Sir John Hackett

Every time I describe this book I say it's the Elvis to Clancy's Beatles. Though Clancy was greater, this was written in 1978, then updated in 82, a few years before Hunt for Red October, or anything else really. Before hand there were few, if any, true WW3 works. Most of them like On The Beach, while good, usually portrayed the war as nothing more than nuclear Armageddon. Hackett's book is the first major one to portray a conventional war, and would end up opening the doors and inspiring follow-up works.

When it comes to this book it's important to remember the year it was written in. The original, titled August 1985, was done in '78 and an updated version was done titled The Untold Story adding elements such as the war in space. The book will show its age at points, mainly due to hindsight. The M1 Abrams is only known as 'XM1', the A-10 Thunderbolt II does not come into play, and I don't think is even mentioned, etc.

The book is also written in the Alternate History fashion, which means it reads like a history book. It gives general overviews of the grand strategic situation and at important points through a past-tense narration. If you can't handle that writing, it's not really for you. It's main focus is on the overall war, rather than a single battle or battalion. Even so, it gives you the same feeling by adding in 'eye-witness accounts' from soldiers of this fictional war. Indeed, the entire first chapter is nothing but excerpts like this, so there's some action for you.

The story itself begins in 1985 when the Soviets realize their economy's about to tank, and decide that militarization is a good option. At the same time, they realize that nuclear war would end with disaster for them, but understand that NATO ground forces during the 70s were rather pitiful, hence they dump a good chunk into conventional forces. The book also gives details on the politics of a new president, and the economics of the world at the times.

Other territories are also showcased, mainly Africa where Ethiopia and a few other nations ally with the Soviets. In the Middle East, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait also fall into the camp, joining with Egypt and Libya to form a united communist alliance and give the Soviets a toehold there as well. At the same time, revolution fails in Iran, and it remains firmly in the U.S. camp. I'll leave this up to your own opinion.

The war itself begins when the Soviets invade Yugoslavia to make it a firm proxy. American Marines from Italy go on a mission to protect NATO interests, and end up skirmishing with the Soviets. Around the same time, there is heavy unrest through the other satellites; particularly Poland. A short time after this, the Soviets launch a full scale invasion of the West.

The book tends to hit most of the tech, abilities, and other important facts head on. CENTAG, NATO's central army holding the middle of Germany, has a fairly average time. NORTHAG along the Baltic, however, has far worse terrain to defend, and is subsequently pushed back badly. At the same time, much of Norway and Italy are lost, leaving AFNORTH (Allied Forces North) and AFSOUTH crippled.

Despite the Russian's attacks, they suffer greater resistance than expected, mainly from the revitalized NATO militaries and new weapon systems that just recently came into usage. Both the Air and Naval wars are show as being a desperate fight, but reinforcements gradually give both areas fully to NATO.

Despite their best attempts, much of Germany is lost in the first days, with the Russians occupying most of Holland as their highest point. NATO forces barely stop them on the Lippe River and reinforcements from the States begin counter-attacking the Russian forces.

As the counter-offensive begins driving them back and riots begin in Poland, the Soviets resort to a final nuclear warning. They use a single missile to destroy Birmingham, hoping that NATO would not wish to continue. They are wrong, however, and NATO retaliates by shooting a missile at Minsk, destroying it.

In the end, a coup by Ukrainians ends the Soviet Union, and both sides agree to a peace. The post-war world contains in itself has many interesting outcomes, one of which is a permanently divided Germany, as both East and West agree they have become too culturally different to reunite. The ruins of the two destroyed cities are turned into memorials, Peace Cities East and West, respectively, and the book ends with the notion of an unknown, frightening, but bright future.

Overall it's an interesting book. Though at many moments one could be scratching their head or raising an eyebrow, at least some of the mishaps can be forgiven for the time period. The book does go into great detail about other areas, such as Africa and Asia, but I left some lesser parts out so there'd still be something to read. I enjoy it; I'd say around 3 1/2 to 4 out of 5. It's a good look at the origins of the genre, and how it evolved from there.

3223182 Man, I tried to read this, but my brain wouldn't allow me to digest it all because I have yet to drink my coffee, eh.

Eagle
Group Admin

Bah, coffee is for the weak and untrained.

One of 'those' books?

Eagle
Group Admin

You mean beyond that it was the first to actually do that? And did it in a large, detailed, and interesting way?

How many other books do that specifically, anyways?

Eagle
Group Admin

Well that sounds like a personal problem.

Eagle
Group Admin

I know it's opinion. Why are you complaining about the book then?

Eagle
Group Admin

It's personal opinion. Unless there's something factually wrong with the book such as error or bad writing, there's nothing to complain on. You can complain logically about bad writing or errors, but if it comes down to personal taste about the genre, it's pointless.

Also, there's no reason to quote me when I can scroll I mousewheel click up once and see the same quote.

Eagle
Group Admin

It can't because it's personal opinion. My opinion is that it's not that bad. Yours is that it is. Both are based on personal preference and bias, thus making it pointless and illogical as both sides go by what they personally want, rather than complete fact.

Eagle
Group Admin

It's a complaint, but it's not a logical complaint because it's simply opinion; that's what it'll always be.

Eagle
Group Admin

For you, maybe. I has tea.

Eagle
Group Admin

No, not really. I use will power.

Comment posted by Eagle deleted Apr 25th, 2014
Eagle
Group Admin

Pat could live off of hate power forever. He's basically Stinkmeaner.

3225102 Pat is all evil, but hides it all, eh. :trollestia:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23