LEGO 161 members · 68 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

I'm sure everyone knows about dinosaurs in LEGO...

Like the Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom sets like these;

I like how, compared to LEGO's earlier DINO sets (which had only 5 different creatures, 4 carnivores & 1 herbivore) and the first Jurassic World sets, the dinosaur molds are fairly accurate to a degree. But, this is where I draw a big complaint about LEGO's current dinosaurs...

There aren't enough herbivorous dinosaurs to balance out the carnivores! Before, I believe 2005 (whatever year the Dino Attack theme was released), that balance wasn't an issue compared to today.

Let's list off the species (even fictional) represented in all dinosaur themed LEGO sets for this decade;
-Tyrannosaurus
-Velociraptor (this one has WAY too many variants already)
-Pteranodon
-Dilophosaurus
-Indominus Rex
-Coelophysis (with a very lazy recoloring labeled as Gallimimus)
-Indoraptor
-Carnotaurus
-Triceratops (has no variant released for the Jurassic World sets as of yet)
-Stygimoloch

I've counted how many species are represented (even the lazy recolored one as a herbivore despite the species' actual diet), and only three herbivores (in reality, only two) to represent the overwhelming number of 8 carnivore species. There is another herbivore released with the DUPLO version of the Jurassic World set, but I don't really count that one for this particular topic.

This is a far-cry from the earlier, pre-Dino Attack dinosaur species represented below;
-Tyrannosaurus
-Spinosaurus
-Postosuchus
-Pterodactyl (part of an Adventures set before 2001
-Dimetrodon
-Plesiosaurus
-Mosasaurus
-Brachiosaurus
-Stegosaurus (part of an Adventures set before 2001)
-Triceratops
-Styracosaurus
-Iguanodon
-Ankylosaurus (only a young variant from the Dinosaurs sets released in 2001)
-Apatosaurus (only a young variant from the Dinosaurs sets released in 2001)
-Camarasaurus
-Centrosaurus
-Oranosaurus
-Parasaurolophus
-Plateosaurus
-Diplodocus

Most of these species are part of a 'transform' set, but the representation is much more agreeable, with the numbers looking more acceptable, with 7 carnivores to 13 herbivores out of a grand total of 20 species. It's a reverse of the current mold LEGO seems to have currently. The only glimpse we get for more herbivore representation is the LEGO Jurassic World video game, which is outrageously depressing in my eyes.

I am a huge dinosaur fanatic, and I tried to collect as many dinosaur LEGO sets as I can when I was younger, sometimes buying the sets JUST to get the dinosaur figures. I've been trying (not as much as I use to) to get as many dinosaur figures as I can right now to have that satisfaction, but I've been not as motivated merely because of the facts I've stated above.

I know there's a huge fanbase of collectors of LEGO centered around creatures, especially animals like dinosaurs, and I think LEGO is missing a huge money-making opportunity to getting more collectors who have a mentality similar to Pokemon's collect-a-thon of their fictional creatures.

There are many points I can name why LEGO would make even more money to having more species, especially herbivorous species, for their dinosaur sets. But, I'll name these three as the main point or reasons why, if they make sets for Jurassic World 3, they ought to have NEW dinosaur species, no older species...;

1. There is a desire for more species in fan LEGO films. This one does't really need that much explaining, especially if certain fan films garner an increase in demand for more dinosaur figures, especially if they want multiples of a certain species to make herds or packs...

2. Collectors will want them. Another one that doesn't really need that much explaining, especially if a weird lesser-known dinosaur figure exists, like a LEGO figure of a Kentrosaurus or a Deinocheirus, people WILL want them and will be willing to pay the money needed to get one...

3. It will increase interest in not only other LEGO sets, but also increase the desire for more varied animal figures period.

Anyone name their reasons why LEGO should expand the available species of dinosaurs, and why it would work in the LEGO company's benefit? I'm interested on what you guys have to say...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1