IDW MLP Comics 280 members · 54 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

😠Out-of-character imbeciles.

😡YOU IDIOT!

🙄Talk about a Mary Sue. And an incredibly unrealistic redemption and forgiveness moment.

Sorry, moral, but you’re incredibly toxic thanks to everything Radiant Hope did throughout this entire story, as well as a poorly portrayed and infuriating King Sombra.

You really hate her so much do you I mean everybody has a different opinion about characters but I see it now but maybe if they try to fix this comic it wouldn't be so bad

And probably whoever wrote this story didn't know how to balance the characters to well and I mean I seen the worst ( Star Wars The Last Jedi )

Maybe.

I personally hate the idea of Sombra being redeemed to begin with, and considering all that Hope did…she deserves to either be imprisoned for life or turned to stone. Especially considering she clearly has no real understanding of friendship.

I actually really like “The Last Jedi”, to be honest.

Do you think King Sombra should just stayed as a villain and making radiant hope actually a villain after what she did and almost causing the fall of the Crystal Empire because of her decision

Well I was watching The Last Jedi and there was something wrong with some of the scenes here I mean mis anthropony explained it and I started to see the problem with it either making the character smarter than the other character be the most dumbest ones of them all or when it comes to strength and weaknesses and basically another Force political going on but that's another whole story and I really don't want to get into this but I see what he was talking about as well

Okay look I'm a sucker for Redemption stories I want to see how a villain turn to the good side even though how much what they did in the past was bad trust me Dragon Ball Z Vegeta was an example and how many did he killed throughout his years before changing and I was thought that maybe King Sombra should have of redemption story now radiant hope I see the problem with her character if she was a villain then it makes sense why she did all this

I understand that the redemption was rushed, but that's kind of a FiM problem anyway, and I was willing to look past that because of how FiM can be. I personally adored this comic. It's a standout in the comics for me. Radiant Hope did the best she knew how to do by the one pony she loved, and when she realized that it would cause more damage to many ponies, she genuinely tried to talk Sombra down. She was almost successful, mind you, and she would have been successful if Twilight hadn't shot her. To me, this comic isn't saying that anything Sombra did was okay. It's showing that he became evil from a place of hurt, and that having just one person who still believes in you can bring you back from the abyss. Radiant Hope was a good, genuine friend to Sombra, and in the end, she managed to talk him into doing the right thing.

The moment of redemption you put wasn't the actual moment of redemption. To me, the moment of redemption was Sombra putting back the Crystal Heart—the moment he chose to do the right thing with no regard for personal safety. Radiant Hope had given Sombra the Heart and told him he could smash it in order to keep the umbrum free because she believed he would do the right thing. And this belief, along with everything Radiant Hope had told him up to that point, gave him the strength to break free from what he thought he had to be.

The moment of redemption you put wasn't the actual moment of redemption.

I know that.

To me, the moment of redemption was Sombra putting back the Crystal Heart—the moment he chose to do the right thing with no regard for personal safety. Radiant Hope had given Sombra the Heart and told him he could smash it in order to keep the umbrum free because she believed he would do the right thing. And this belief, along with everything Radiant Hope had told him up to that point, gave him the strength to break free from what he thought he had to be.

It’s still one of the most poorly-written and executed redemption arcs I ever saw, and extremely FAR from realistic. What Hope was basically saying was that you can make your own destiny no matter what, and him turning good basically translated that he still didn’t get to do that.

Radiant Hope was a good, genuine friend to Sombra, and in the end, she managed to talk him into doing the right thing.

Honestly, that’s among the reasons for why I consider Radiant Hope a one-dimensional Mary Sue. Even when the consequences of her actions came to light, and regardless of her trying to “talk” Sombra out of it, she never learned from her mistakes or took what she did into account! She still did nothing but set up an incredibly toxic moral, which is that it’s okay to do bad things as long as you’re “helping a friend”.

What Hope was basically saying was that you can make your own destiny no matter what, and him turning good basically translated that he still didn’t get to do that.

She gave him a choice, and he chose to do the right thing. In the moment, she even implied that the purpose of receiving the Heart would be to destroy it. He still chose to do the right thing. It was entirely his choice, and he forged his own destiny.

Even when the consequences of her actions came to light, and regardless of her trying to “talk” Sombra out of it, she never learned from her mistakes or took what she did into account! She still did nothing but set up an incredibly toxic moral, which is that it’s okay to do bad things as long as you’re “helping a friend”.

But she did take her actions into account. She thought the umbrum were okay, and when she learned they weren't, she ran to Sombra and begged him not to release them. She absolutely realized she messed up and took it upon herself to right the course of events. Which, again, she would have successfully done if Twilight didn't shoot her. She later knew that she had been deceived, and she's portrayed as sympathetic because of that fact. She didn't know what was happening, and when she learned, she tried to put it right.

She gave him a choice, and he chose to do the right thing. In the moment, she even implied that the purpose of receiving the Heart would be to destroy it. He still chose to do the right thing. It was entirely his choice, and he forged his own destiny.

Except for one thing:

Throughout the entire story, all Hope wanted was to "have the love of her life" back, which was basically a destiny she wanted to forge. Regardless of Sombra not smashing the Crystal Heart, he still never got to make a destiny of his own because Hope got to have him back, which openly causes him to fall in her intended destiny.

She didn't know what was happening, and when she learned, she tried to put it right.

That certainly wasn't what I saw, I'll tell you that. Even after her mistakes came to light, she never did anything to correct them herself! All she ever seemed to care about was getting her happily ever after with Sombra, which made her come across as a self-absorbed hypocrite. Twilight shooting her really didn't prevent Hope from doing anything, mainly because by getting shot, she was the one who ultimately made Sombra release the Umbrum and caused Equestria to nearly be doomed.

I have to agree with you. That storyline was a mess. Sombra was given an overly-tragic backstory, and Radiant Hope both used others and let herself be used by the Umbrum.

Radiant Hope [...] let herself be used by the Umbrum.

This last part is troubling to me. She was deceived, right? I mean, is what happened to her really her fault? She wouldn't have "let herself be used by the Umbrum" if she knew, and when she found out, she was horrified and stopped acting on the bad information. Can we blame Shining Armor for letting himself be used by Chrysalis in "A Canterlot Wedding"? Of course not! He was deceived, and so was Radiant Hope.

Twilight shooting her really didn't prevent Hope from doing anything, mainly because by getting shot, she was the one who ultimately made Sombra release the Umbrum and caused Equestria to nearly be doomed.

my guy, what are you TALKING about? this is the most absurd level of victim blaming i've seen in my life, especially since you used that justification to absolve twilight of any blame in regards to shooting radiant hope. i can't even wrap my head around how absolutely bonkers you'd have to be in order to think that this is a valid justification. that's like saying "if you think about it, watergate is jfk's fault, because if he hadn't let himself get shot, nixon never would've gotten elected president."

I’m just saying, much of why Equestria was nearly doomed in the story was Radiant Hope’s fault to begin with. It was her leaping in the way of Twilight’s shot that motivated Sombra into letting the Umbrum out, and considering the shot would not have hurt Sombra to begin with, Hope’s getting in the way was completely unnecessary.

She was all too quick to believe them when they told her they could help her reunite with Sombra. Cutesie appearance or no, she should have had her suspicions.

I agree. Deceived or not, the entirety of her immediately believing the Umbrum made her come across as an unintelligent bimbo.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19