Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

So I am working on a story that was originally a 2nd person story (I've written a lot of these) but later I decided to try writing a 1st person story for a change and thus the reader character became the batpony stallion, Neon Nightcap, a bartender in the coastal town of Night Light.

However, as you can guess now I need to come up with some colors for him. I just wanted to try to avoid most of the usual color combos (if possible) used with most batponies to make him feel a bit more original but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions for coat, mane, tail, etc... colors for Neon Nightcap that fit his name and occupation?

Bright orange underwings and a neon green mane and tail, red eyes and bright sharp teeth, a blue earcuff, and a sinewy wiry tough build. The rest a dark grey close to black. Blue lines along the bones where the membrane meats the joints, possibly painted on (he won’t say). Most visible when they are open.

I use the Ponytown Editor everytime i make an OC. At least the rough look. Fine Details like lets say a tatoo on the wing or simething like that i add later.

(Art by AlexDTI)

Tjats how i came up with him ^^

The dark grey to purple base coat of most bat ponies works as a good thing to start from imo, deviate too far and you go into "special oc" territory, which doesn't have a good track record when everyone wants to be special.

The typical bat pony, for me, has most of their colour in their wings, hair, eyes. So the Neon part might show here with a bright teal & pink come to mind for me with that, but there's a whole range of colours available. Don't forget that the eyes need not be the same colours as the mane, but as long as the wings somewhat match the coat I don't think you'll get a look that's too garish

Usually I still go with more traditional coloration for batponies, because being special doesn't mean that they need to look like someone poured liquid rainbow on them.

But if you really want to do something original, why don't go for him having coat of mixed colour? Like dark grey with many bright blue, green or red spots all over his body. Or maybe make him usual thestral grey, with bright mane and tail.

7523446 so maybe he could have a dark blue mane/tail with a bright pink highlight(s) and perhaps some bright blue eyes.

7523451 Hmm... Spots huh. That could be interesting. :pinkiesmile:

I have a friend who usually sports very neon hair color choices but had to dye their hair back to black for work. A couple weeks later it faded and all of the old colors came through the black. It was this awesome midnight rainbow. I agree with the suggestion from some of the other replies to use pops of bright blue.

You could try using a color wheel to help find colors that go well with each other. Generally, you'll want to avoid overly dark colors as the primary coat color and use those for mane/tail highlights.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8