Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17
Permanent Temporary
Group Admin

We may have achieved victory this time around, but there will always be others that aim to hinder our way of life, seeking to deny us our right of humanity and equality.

And so, I firmly believe this group must continue to exist, despite our having reached the goal we originally set. We must continue to serve the purpose of advocating and safeguarding our right to publish stories featuring humans.

That's why I propose a name change, to reflect our new purpose. I am accepting suggestions, so if you have any ideas please post them below.

...I'm actually being semi-serious about this whole thing, too; after all, it's not unthinkable that a similar (but less ridiculous) controversy involving HiE-type material and the site management might arise. I feel that we, as a group, should be ready to quickly respond in order to mitigate potential damage if this kind of crisis does happen one day in the future. So, I'm actually looking for semi-serious suggestions and not completely ridiculous ones.

The current banner can stay, because it fits damn well.

How about: The Equal Rights For Writers to Imagine.

840278 To be honest, why is it that this whole site seems to harbor a prejudice against humans?

840285 Because it's a show about ponies, so some feel all content must be in pony form. :fluttercry:

840288But FIMFiction is for our changes to the show, to create something new, and different. After all, this is a site for creative bronies/pegasisters to create stories, and all the others can read them. I suggest 'The HiE Protection Squad' for the name change.

Permanent Temporary
Group Admin

840285>>840288>>840300
Exactly.

Although it is somewhat understandable—given that the majority of "moody misanthropic self-insert teenager named Marty Sue with terrible life dies due to accident or violence and ends up in Equestria with a 50% chance of instant romance", "Anon in Equestria with a 50% chance of instant romance and/or mindless clop", and "Halo/COD character in Equestria with a 50% chance of instant romance" are legitimately terrible—that many readers might begin to feel disgust with the very idea. Some, those you might call the "purist elites", just feel that humans don't belong amongst their ponies, since humans are not in canon MLP:FiM. Others still, those you might call the "disgruntled misanthropes", want to escape from the human condition because they are disheartened and cynical about society and are unable to see the overwhelming good in humanity.

And this is exactly why I feel this group can still serve a valid and useful purpose despite being originally conceived as a big joke. The Human genre is misconstrued by many as "the shithole of FIMfiction". But that's a hypocrisy. There are easily an equal or possibly even greater number of stories that don't even include a mention of the word "human" and yet still contain many, if not all, of the hallmarks of a terribly-written story, such as horrid self insert and Mary Sue OCs, illegible grammar, terrible plot and pacing, etc. We've got the defend the legitimacy of the genre by showing the naysayers that the genre "Human" is not synonymous with "terrible story".

840278 Writers Equality

Permanent Temporary
Group Admin

If I were to describe what this group's purpose is, I would say that it lies between the "Humans in Equestria" and "Humans Aren't Bastards" groups. However, unlike either of those groups, this one exists specifically to discuss specific topics relating to stories tagged with "Human", especially stories that come under fire from anti-human sentiments. In this way, we are similar to "The Conversion Bureau" and "Anti-Conversion Bureau" groups. However, our prerogative should be to remain watchful for developments in anti-Human sentiments and to respond to them accordingly.

We are not a militant group and we have no official authority, so I am not advocating tactics like counterattacks. Rather, I am advocating proactive, positive campaigns to protect the legitimacy of this genre on this site.

840300 I agree with everything you said, but the facts are facts. People tend to want to undermine what they don't understand, and they understand us. By the way I must disagree with your title choice, as I think it should be pro ALL humanized stories, instead of just HiE.

840334 Well, how do you suggest we go about it, Jesus?

bracatus
Group Admin

I don't mind a change to the name and purpose of the group. We can make changes whenever a new issue comes up that requires our attention, but I suggest that we make a thread for recording old group names, descriptions etc., so that they can be used again if necessary (and because I don't want the results of the 9000+ hours that I poured into the conception of this group to be wiped out (seriously, I think I have spent more than ten minutes on the contents of this group, which is almost 9000 minutes)).

Permanent Temporary
Group Admin

Here's a few simple steps to help you with this! I'm using Firefox on a Windows PC— the steps may be slightly different for others browsers and operating systems.

1.) In your browser, find and click on "File" in the upper left-hand side of the screen.
2.) Find and click on "Save Page As...", which can also be used by pressing the shortcut keys "Ctrl+S" in my case.
3.) Choose a name and location to save the page under.
4.) Press the "Save" button.
5.) Repeat steps 1-4 on other pages as you deem necessary.

Presto, the webpage has now been saved for posterity sake, and should even be accessible when offline!

bracatus
Group Admin

Magnificent. So easy to do that even computer illiteracy couldn't stop me from doing it. Thanks.

840367I'm using the mobile version, as embarassment is as sure as hell if my family finds out about my bronydom, and I have no laptop, so I'm stuck with my IPhone.

(and because I don't want the results of the 9000+ hours that I poured into the conception of this group to be wiped out (seriously, I think I have spent more than ten minutes on the contents of this group, which is almost 9000 minutes)).

There's something wrong in there.
840340I see your point.

bracatus
Group Admin

Bah, maths.

Rather, I am advocating proactive, positive campaigns to protect the legitimacy of this genre on this site.

I was going to message Knighty with a few of my own ideas on the situation, and perhaps even offer up my services to take the load of having to read HiE stories off the other mods. If he responded, I would be beside myself.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17