Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

What writers and other staff members who work on MLP do you not like?

Why did you delete your last thread?
Bad writer: That one jackass that refuses to learn english and uses Google translate.
Hated user: Somebadauthor

What I actually meant was the official MLP people like Larson and McCarthy.

McCarthy.

(In my personal opinion) "A Canterlot Wedding" was terrible, and "Equestria Girls" might have had some potential for interesting stuff, but it's just too generic to be worth anything. The things they had in common? McCarthy.

"Keep Calm and Flutter On" and "Magical Mystery Cure" were penned by Larson. While I am entirely against what happens in those episodes, I just . . .I don't know, get this feeling that Larson was given orders from higher-ups and had to do what he was told.

They're all professionals, yet everything they do seems like it's done on an eighth grade level.

I don't know why everyone thinks it's something great, because it's not. They've wasted so much potential, and it's So. Fucking. Boring. I wasn't critical when I decided to watch the thing, but I sure am now. I used to see the appeal back in season one and parts of season two, even though it was still spotty, but it's just not there.
I was at a restaurant the other day, and these little girls were manipulating some TV in the corner. They flipped to an episode of MLP, only for two to explain at the same time how boring it was and then, when the others agreed, changed it to Spongebob. They were probably the target audience, or around that age, and even they weren't interested. :face hoof:

I'm not saying I expect excellence, of course. It's a TV show for little girls. But what pisses me off is the way people act like it's a great work of television and should win an award. I mean, it's just not, and it shouldn't. Most everything interesting was made up by the community through speculation or around background ponies, and the show can't take credit for that.

I dunno, that's my opinion.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. :eeyup:

My biggest annoyance comes not from the writing of the show itself, but from hypocritical bronies who do anything to defend it. If you start criticising the show you're reminded "this is a show for little girls!" Firstly, this implies that kids will enjoy anything with bright colours and funny characters, and nothing else matters. Secondly, it undermines the fandom as a whole. The whole argument that bronies had back in the early days was "This is more than just some little kids show." Seriously, that was the whole point. We were making a statement that people like the show because of its quality and actual appeal to adults. To now turn around and say to the critics "But it's a show for little girls! Quit complaining!" makes them nothing but posers.

And the kicker? After openly admitting that MLP is 'just a little kids show' they're still unable to accept that some people might not like it. "You people are just looking for reasons to hate it!" Now why the f*** would people who've been in this fandom specifically look for reasons to hate it, if they would otherwise live in bliss? That makes absolutely no sense.

Now, there's also one big reason that I simply do not accept the 'it's just for kids' argument, and you touched on it in your post. Saying 'it's for kids' is essentially saying that all kids are morons who will be entertained by any old crap with bright colours and jokes, and are unable to analyse storylines or question certain plot points. As someone with a younger brother, that's bullcrap. How did Disney become a household name? By producing great cartoons with great writing that appealed not just to kids, but also to adults. Were they perfect? No. But they showed a damn sight more care than the writers of MLP seem to.

And just as you pointed out, the target audience is more than capable of deciding that the show isn't worth their time, so why is it such treason for a brony to express their dislike? The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that some bronies have been overcome by such smugness because they watch a show outside their demographic, that they are convinced it makes them a pioneer for open-mindedness and gender equality and thus, anyone who doesn't like it is automatically a closed-minded hater with personal issues.

As for the show itself? I think the writing has taken a definite downturn since season 1 and most of season 2. I'm pretty much here for the fan fiction, because a lot of writers display more creativity and passion than professionals working on the show itself. There was so much potential for the show to remain high in quality, but the writers keep missing the mark. It's a sad day when the season 4 premiere actually regresses the show's rich mythology. And to think that at one point I was truly excited at the prospect of an MLP movie... :facehoof:

As it stands, I think MLP is an okay show that was once really good. Decent enough, but there are other things out there (including stuff aimed at little kids) that are much better.

It's nice (surprising) to see someone that agrees. To be honest, I've never loved the show, but it's pretty much unwatchable now. It's just lost whatever interest it had, and the last hint of that popped up with Chrysalis. She was still the most interesting enemy in my opinion, and I finished off season two with a surprisingly contented feeling. I had noticed some downturn just before that, but it looked like stuff had gone back towards what I expected to see. Since then, they've just- I dunno, I have no interest in any of the episodes.

Discord was interesting, and changelings are a big part of the fandom. The first was because of good writing, the other more because we know very little about changelings, but whatever. It held my interest.

I think what kinda kicked me off the bandwagon was the reformed Discord thing and Twilicorn, to be honest. I could get over that a little if everyone didn't call both things a great decision. I write, and people have left big comments about "This is OOC" or "He's over-powered". Both of those problems arose in the canon, and suddenly I'm the jerk for pointing them out.

To be honest though, if Discord decides to use his position for his own advantage, some of my view will change. For a kid's show, though, they seem to want to be awfully vanilla, and I doubt it'll happen. I'm just so bored with most of the episodes, and there's no humor… Maybe it'll come around, but if it doesn't, like you said, I still have the fandom. :eeyup:

The only worrying part is that if they cancel the show, I worry that this place will dry up, so to speak.

A while back I actually questioned my dwindling love for the series, whether or not I was looking back at those old episodes through rose-tinted spectacles, my memories playing tricks on me. And so, I went back and watched some old season 1 episodes. And... I loved them. In fact, a few episodes I liked more than when I originally watched them. And what's surprising is that back then, the writers were convinced that only little girls would watch this show.

But hey, if you say to someone that you don't like a recent turn of events, you're accused of just being butt-hurt, or not being able to handle your head canon being squashed. Because canon is canon and therefore good, and fanon is alright until it's disproven, at which point it's crap, and sticking to it makes you an obsessive man-child who can't handle change. :facehoof:

I talked before about regressing the mythology, and that's one thing that really pained me when I watched the season 4 premiere. I was so excited to see Nightmare Moon again, and sure, we got to see her. But what actually happened? Did we get to see Luna's gradual descent into madness? Celestia's reasoning behind 1000 years banishment? Several days of night? Maybe something about the toils faced by the citizens? No. We got the laziest telling of Nightmare Moon's origin ever conceived with two minutes of screen time. Luna just refused to lower the moon for a little while and then got blasted by the elements.

Now let's look at this closely... What we got not only told us nothing new about a major historical event, but also negated the possibility of there ever being a deep insight into the events leading up to it, or indeed any kind of interesting story. Oh, but the bronies squeed because Nightmare Moon came back. I mean, really? That's all it takes to impress them? :facehoof: That's what I mean by regressing the mythology. Same for Discord, too. And yes, I'd like to see Chrysalis return. But only if the episode actually has a good story and we see an interesting side to her. Simply bringing back a popular character does not warrant instant praise!

My worry isn't that the show will end. Oh no. My worry is that the show will continue to bring us ridiculous canon events, and anyone who steps outside of that canon will be ostracised. And I've had this happen to me personally. When I started writing 'No Regrets' I took a timeline set just after Twilight's ascension, whereby she is immortal. Not long after, someone sent me a PM telling me that there was no point in writing my story at all, because Meghan McCarthy had said Twilight isn't immortal on Twitter. People like that exist in this fandom, and it's a damn shame.

Will I stop watching the show? Maybe. But I'm sticking with fan fiction, because I enjoy both writing and reading.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9