The Three Stooges Fan-Club 89 members · 3 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Yo, what's up, Kemosabes?

This is your friendly film, TV show, and episode reporter here with another review.

Today, I'm gonna give you guys my take of The Three Stooges's "Playing the Ponies".

Here’s the rundown of it:

After trying their hand at running a restaurant, the Three Stooges have grown fed up with the lack of success. In the midst of this, the owner of a horse named Thunderbolt laments to his pal that his horse has become pretty rundown.

When the two men overhear the Stooges saying they’re interested in horse racing, they decide to swindle the Stooges into buying Thunderbolt in exchange for the restaurant.

The only question is…can the Stooges actually win a race with Thunderbolt?

Similar to many Three Stooges shorts I previously reviewed, “Playing the Ponies” was one I had in mind to analyze next based on it not being directed by Del Lord or Jules White. Featuring Curly in his prime years, of course.

I also chose this short based on it being the second and final member of the Three Stooges filmography to be directed by Charles Lamont, who previously directed “Restless Knights”.

So, what do I think of this short after many years since I last saw it?

Well, as with most other members of the Three Stooges filmography, I found “Playing the Ponies” to be an absolute delight to watch. A blast even!

For instance, the direction by Charles Lamont, the story by Irv Frisch and Will Harr, and the screenplay by Al Giebler, Elwood Ullman, and Charlie Melson, were extremely well-done.

At one point in life, I read that the reason this short was the final one to be directed by Lamont was because he wasn’t getting along with Columbia Pictures president, Harry Cohn, and so he left the company once filming was complete. In many parts, it was easy to tell what sort of tension Lamont and Cohn had between each other. But, it didn’t affect the picture as a whole. The comedy was extremely well-worked and hilarious, especially the parts where characters eat hot peppers. The story as a whole was as neatly done as can be, and it was interesting enough for people to want to see where things would be going.

The performances and characters were likewise as fun to watch as ever.

As with every Three Stooges installment I previously reviewed, the Stooges themselves proved to be engaging focuses. Every moment with them was absolutely fun and hysterical, and their intentions to somehow make a better living in life helped the story have an end goal. Plus, despite their characters only bring around for the first third of this short, Nick Copeland and Lew Davis were entertaining to watch as the two guys that swindle the Stooges.

In conclusion, “Playing the Ponies” is definitely another winner of a Three Stooges short. As the final one to be directed by Charles Lamont, it proved to be a great send off for him too.

So, I rate “Playing the Ponies” five out of five stars.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2