Rock Music 231 members · 99 stories
Comments ( 43 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 43

Basically I need a new metal/rock band because I've sifted through my shit so many times that I'm bored with no new music and whatever new music I do have, I just regret because I have no interest in them.

Example: Any genre of rock/metal music would do. My friend showed me Swans and I'm really happy on that. Because that band is demented, intense, beautiful and really innovative with their stuff:

Currently listening to;

Cop

The Burning World

Soundtrack For The Blind

White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity

Children Of God

The Great Annihilator

Holy Money

I really love Cop, The Burning World, The Great Annihilator and Soundtrack For The Blind. Those four albums are really awesome. The last one is like Godspeed You...The Black Emperor

But I need some help with new music. Can you guys assist?

Comment posted by Bolshevik Skeleton deleted Nov 29th, 2013

2267790 Equilibrium, Grand Magus, Freedom Call, Gun Barrel, Victory...

Cool bro. What genres are they?

Regidar
Group Contributor

2267758 if you like godspeed you, then check out the album leaf or sigur rós
unless we are talking different godspeed you's

2267831 See for yourself...

Is the God Speed You you are talking about have ambient, industrial, instrumental rock, noise, drone and post-rock as its genres?

Regidar
Group Contributor

2267874 yes
I like their ambient side more, so I'm a big Post-Rock kind of person
Sigur Rós, The Albums Leaf, The Antlers
might be a little soft for you, since you seem to big a big metal/drone guy, but check out Sigur's album "Von"; it's dark and industrial, really gravely post-rock

It would probably be Grand Magus and Victory I could tolerate. I'm unfortunately not as open to metal music as my friend is, so the power metal stuff you have there isn't bad, but it was a genre I haven't given much depth to really enjoy the music.

Grand Magus sounds totally stoner metal though. I have to give this one a definite listen. The other one, I probably will.

Shit buddy. That Sigur's sounds really promising. That other one, The Antlers. I might give that one a check. Because since about three months ago, I have been steadily climbing the softer music side of things. But you still won't see me go mainstream music.

And that sounds a bit hypocritical, since I like Grunge and all. But the mainstream came to Grunge in the first place, so I have no problem or quarrel for speaking my love about Grunge. And come one dude! Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden are the big 4 of the genre! :heart:

Its also cool that you can tolerate the ambient, post rock stuff.

Its always nice when I see someone speak positive about that kind of music. :pinkiesmile:

Regidar
Group Contributor

2267951 it's nice writing music for sure
plus, it gets into noise pop and other weird genres

2267945 There's nothing wrong with a lot of mainstream music; we've actually got some rather good former rock bands that went pop and because of such actually know how to compose pop really well. Fall Out Boy's new album and Panic! at the Disco's new album are both pop and sound AMAZING.

MUDVAYNE

-Mudraynebow

I've been obsessed with these guys. Perfectly demented, yet unapologetically catchy.

2267906 I've got about 72 hours' worth of metal on my computer...

Don't mean to be a dick, but I beat you by 29 hours.

4.3 days to be exact.

2268059 Jesus motherfucking... *low whistle*

I guess its the stereotypical bullshit hype I don't like around Pop or mainstream music. I mean, why does there have to be so much hype about over-produced music with generic song structure and lyrics that are hardly meaningful to the band themselves when they just hire writers to write lyrics for them. :applejackunsure:

Now I'm not saying Metal hadn't had its fair share of over-produced music. Death Magnetic by Metallica unfortunately...:ajsleepy:

But my real problem lies within the fans and the media around them. Now I would like for Metal/underground genre music to get that sort of hype. But the difference between the two is that one consists of rehashing while the other is diverse. Now you are probably thinking that metal music is basically rehashed and yes it is. But for example:

Most times you will find four subjects in mainstream music, when it comes with lyrics. Teenagers, relationships, sex, drugs and (I know I said four) abuses.

Now I know there is more, but that's all I usually here.

Metal music and the underground stuff discuss things that would often irk the majority of music lovers when it comes with the 'mainstream' like Greek mythology, suicide, politics, religion (depending which one), comics, monsters, Classical mythology, depression, murders, paranormal phenomena, Roman mythology and I mean the list is endless.

Have you heard of the Wall by Pink Floyd?

Mainstream music means scene kids, stubborn kids and uptight wannabes that I'd rather be called a hipster than hang or know those kind of people.

Again hypocritical I get it. But they all think of metal music as 'scream-scream-noise-scream-noise-scream-scream'

So yeah. I'm being hypocritical.

Never mind me bro. What shit do you got buckled down in you're computer?

Regidar
Group Contributor

2268185 The Wall is one of my favorite albums, and it is my favorite movie of all time. I like it, it's solid progressive rock.

As for mainstream "Scene" music, all they do is talk about their pain and suffering and suicide. I find it funny about how you list suicide as one of the things that's different, because it isn't. Emocore and scenecore is suicide central.

As for "relationships", i can get that; I get tired of hearing another love song, but some bands handle it really well. The lyrics on Fall Out Boy's "Save Rock and Roll" are fucking phenomenal, even though most of it's about relationships (mostly dysfunctional ones). A few deal with fame (The Phoenix, My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark), and there's even one ABOUT what you're talking about (Save Rock and Roll, one of the best songs FOB ever made).

There are some songs about relationships, like ones by The Antlers, that are very good as well. Corsica is one of the saddest sounds ever, a slow mournful piano melody about a man burning down his home because he can't bear the memories of what happened with his former lover in there now that's she's gone. The lyrics are so wonderfully articulated that it blows me away. Hell, all of Hospice, which is the most emotionally powerful album I have listened to to date, is about an abusive relationship Peter Silberman (frontman of The Antlers) was in, told through the metaphor of love between a hospice worker and a dying cancer patient.

It's fucking beautiful.

The last one is like Godspeed You...The Black Emperor

Maybe... except Swans predates them by more than a decade... :ajsmug:

(To be fair, Soundtracks for the Blind was indeed released in the same year as GYBE's debut, but still...)

Also, if you want some more good stuff, you might want to check these out:

Red Fang

Canvas Solaris (and maybe the followup project, The Universe Divide)

Exivious

And in case you ever get tired of taking music seriously: (link)

Yeah. I kind of assumed everybody who knew that type of music would know that GYBE came later than Swans. You know everybody assumes that GYBE just made a watered down version of the Swans with their double album in 2000. Such a shame I say. I like the band, but I do see how they have took influence from the Swans.

Oh and Anal Grind...

I know that band. My friend is into way more metal than me. He loves it all dude; Death Metal, Black Metal, Grindcore, Drone Metal, Shoe Gaze, Sludge Metal, Heavy Metal and all the many subgenre's with it.

Surprisingly he doesn't like Thrash Metal or Power Metal as much. Don't know why though. I love Thrash but dislike Power mostly.

About a quarter of his music I like. Drone Metal is steadily climbing that ladder.

Oh and I know Shoe gaze isn't purely metal but I had to point out one of his favorite genres. Don't get me started on ambient music because he eats and breathes that shit to the core.

That's the one with Joey Jordison from Slipknot, right?

I have nothing against GYBE, nor do I wish to say they're a "watered down version" of anything. But at the same time, I always like to point out who I believe are the true pioneers of this stuff... :trollestia:

Same goes for Swans, by the way. Their fans tend to forget that this type of "intense" music actually goes all the way back to Howlin' Wolf (a.k.a one of those blues players who you aren't going to dance to, but will instead make you consider slitting your wrists... :pinkiecrazy:)

Actually, it's Chad Gray who is the vocalist. Mudvayne is a rock/metal/heavy metal band, and although their songs are dark, they are very good. I'd totally recommend them to you.:twilightsmile:
If you want suggestions for specific songs, I'm your person to ask. Anyways, if you end up checking them out, please let me know what you think!

-Mudraynebow

2268195 All kinds, really. A big, big list of artists, classics, too - Manowar, Motorhead, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, AC/DC, and the like. I'm quite open-minded about metal.

What kind of metal specifically? Have you already tried the older, more famous bands Like Motely Crue, Van Halen, Judas Priest and Metallica?

I already breathe all those bands on a daily basis. Except Van Halen, I will never get into that.

Thrash Metal
Heavy Metal
Death Metal
Alternative Metal
Progressive Metal
Drone Metal
Doom Metal
Sludge Metal

And the many sub-genre's included. :raritywink:

Ugh. If you want to give me a rock band, than here are the genre's I would like;

Alternative Rock
Grunge
Post-Rock
Punk Rock
Experimental Rock
Gothic Rock
Hard Rock (Not really)
Progressive Rock
Art Rock
Folk Rock

Or if you want to give me a Punk band, than here are the genre's I would like;

Post Punk
Hardcore Punk
Ska-Punk (JK, I will never listen to that British music)

OR! If you want. You can just show me some underground genre bands with stuff like;

Noise Rock
Drone
Ambient
Avant-Garde
Experimental
Industrial
No-wave
New-wave
Shoe-gaze

But don't give me Black Metal. Never.

And please. No pop music.

Well, here's something a bit out of the ordinary.

I know it's a game OST, but Metal Gear Rising: Revengance has some of the most Metal songs I've personally heard; you might enjoy them.

Apologies for the spam, but it's like a drug to me.

Since you like Thrash Metal, and someone else posted Skyclad, it got me to thinking about Sabbat.

Since it also seems like you appreciate music with a technical edge, here's another Thrash Metal band you may want to dig into if you haven't already: Heathen.

Oh, and one more. Paradox. Probably my favorite recommendation of the bunch. Found out about them through a random vinyl record purchase of this album. Never been more impressed with a blind purchase (especially considering the album was 20 bucks).

Garbo
Group Admin

Needs more Ozzy. And no, I don't mean the crazy people who kicked him out of their band, his band. That mother fucker was a genius.

Garbo
Group Admin

van halen isn't metal it's hard rock
and fuck that opinion of yours, Eddie is a God among men. You have fun with your lame metal guitarists.

When have I ever stated that Van Halen was metal? Its never metal and it will never be metal because that isn't the style they weren't interested in, at all. Maybe during the eighties when Glam metal was booming with popularity at the heights with stuff like Pop music that Van Halen jumped the wagon and became even more popular throughout the latter half of the decade with Sammy Hagar.

And no. Van Halen isn't and hasn't been good to me and I have listened to three albums before I made that conscious decision.

I know my history about numerous bands both popular and underground. Metal is that one genre where its a 'fuck you' to all the people who think the genre is nothing more than people who can't sing and only discuss satan.

I don't know what your beef is on a week old thread, but in my short time of listening to music I have come to realize that Van fucking Halen is a band I will never get into.

For Women and Children First
Those albums I have listened to and though I do like Jump and Best Of Both Worlds the rest was shit to me, and I know it was because I had to sit there and listen to hard rock for over three hours of my life.

The worst was that I made those purchases thinking that I would actually get into the band. I was only ten or eleven years old when I bought them mind you :rainbowderp:

My point is. I don't like them and screw off for thinking metal guitarist's are shit. Fuck you for hating on Dimebag Darrell.

Garbo
Group Admin

Sorry, I meant the person who recommended it said it was metal. And I suppose we're even. You don't particularly care for Eddie, I don't know who Dimebag Darrell is. My comment was a bit strongly worded, yes, but I'm just surprised at the fact that you outright hated one of the most influential hard rock bands of all time with one of the first guitarists to truly embrace a shred style of playing, which is the same style metal guitarists use. I can sort of get that Van Halen isn't everybody's thing, but Eddie is a God.
And another thing, Van Halen didn't jump on the bandwagon of 80's glam metal. The band formed in 1974 and was famous while that style was in it's infancy.
And lastly, sorry for the shit thing. Today's guitarists are talented up the wazoo. My problem is I can't tell the difference between them by hearing them. It kind of turns me off, honestly.

Yeah, I realized the whole wagon deal when I remembered it was Def Leopard that did that actually. My bad, and I don't think Eddie Van Halen sucks. I'm usually on the open-minded side. I don't even bash people like Neil Young and I don't even like his music. The music is what I don't find myself amused at, not the people themselves. For me to dislike or downright hate someone would have to be something that they done that not only is stupid, but disrespectful.

I don't like Eddie Van Halen for showing up high on cocaine at Dimebag Darrell's funeral. Eddie was the greatest influence to Dimebag that he went on to make Pantera that released five great records before they disbanded. If you didn't know Dimebag died, then just look it up on Wikipedia or type "Dimebag Darrell's death" its really disturbing but I suggest you check it if you want to understand what I mean. Another thing to say is that Eddie Van Halen gave his original Van Halen II guitar to Dimebag's coffin at the funeral, so you can see how Dimebag loved the guy.

Rest In Piece Dimebag Darrell Abbott (1966 - 2004) :ajsleepy:

And its really okay if you feel bad about my rant. I just felt like that since this thread was old that I didn't understand why you would bother to comment just to insult me on what my musical taste was.

Besides what Eddie did at the funeral that was acting like an idiot who was drunk out of his fucking mind at a funeral of all places! I have no ill problems to that guy at all. And no I don't think his guitar playing is shit because I know what's shit for guitar playing and that it's my playing that is crap.

Garbo
Group Admin

Interesting. I was unaware of these events. However, considering that pretty much every singer quitting the band was his fault, it's obvious that Eddie was an asshole, especially when drugs are added to the equation. Though Eddie usually skipped the parties in favor of practicing, but he didn't really shy away from the drugs. And I'm sorry about my comment, I've been a bit off lately :twilightoops:

some prog rock like yes and rush are always fun
for metal id suggest some stormtroopers of death, anthrax, judas priest, suicidal tendencies, and voivod

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 43