Equestria Divided 705 members · 52 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30

Since Equestria Divided is set in the grimdark medieval fantasy, there are bards. Those that uplift spirits in both terrible and peaceful times. Before there are Chamber Musics and Orchestras (Which I'm still not quite sure if Whitegold would have and equivalent of those in the Artisan's District... Octavia?) , there are these poets that bring tales and musics wherever they go...

So in this thread, I want it to be related to its title. Post whatever you find interesting! Or better yet, write up a song or a poetry! If you're a musician, put that work on YouTube and link it to this thread! Come on! Discussions are what keeps a thread alive..! :pinkiehappy:

...clearly, I'm excited about this...

To who we could compare each house's art?

And cannot be there a propaganda element in their art as well?

I don't quite understand the first statement. Did you mean comparing each of their arts to the real life or..?

I saw Propaganda in M&S and Whitegold ranks, so it would be strange for them to not have it. Do they have Printing Presses though...

Guess I'll have to post something here, else it'll be really dead... :ajsleepy:

This is a theme of Einbroch, an industrial city in the MMO Ragnarok Online. Although the sounds of the machinery are simply a bit too advanced for Earthborn, but you have the general idea, right..? :unsuresweetie:

I'm no songwriter nor a poet, so the only best thing I can come up with is to find some songs that would define some atmospheres in Equestria Divided. Musics are as powerful as Visual Arts... :twilightsmile:

I saw this thread and then quickly forgot about it :applejackunsure:. Though i can play the piano I'm no writer, however I'll see if i can find a fitting theme for each faction plus possible some other things. Music is a key thing in most cultures and i feel like every faction would have some form of style of music that's key to themselves. Music sets a tone and a theme to something and we could use some of that in ED.

Musics sure does spice things up for pretty much everything, even silence could be a music too...
(Let's see if anyone gets that reference)

I'm not sure which faction would be suited for a music like this...

The sounds that haunted me as I was trying to find a solution to deal with that Danish army landing on York...
why u no stay in Scandinavia..? :twilightangry2:

- Now where did the channel went..?

This makes me think of three things. However none are a part of the factions themselves, but would be something playing in the background of a scene or during a game when these situations happen.

1. going through a ravaged city or something, but most notably a city or village destroyed by the Cult. With clear signs of what they had done, from mangled corpses to strange and gruesome decorations. Problem with this is that this would be a less common sight due to the Cults habit of staying in the shadows and probably wouldn't decimate an entire town, only during rare cases. But of course we can't truly understand the Cults actions now can we?

2. Going through a Cults hideout. But not like an active one, like if you were sneaking around and finding disturbing thing but haven't found the "Lively" part of it yet where all the fun and parties and such are at.

3. Though its clear this makes me think of the Cult. It doesn't change the fact that this can be fitting for other things. Everfree anybody? It makes me think of going through the Everfree forest at night. During the day it would be a bit more magical or mystical. But at night this would play, its darker and creepier but still makes me think "Fantasy" or magical. Which i find are fitting for the Everfree forest at night.

4. and just thought of something else, it would make sense if during certain Everfree rituals this song would be played. We don't ALWAYS have to have drums and such playing, sometimes tribes could play more "calming" music during a ritual and the main instrument sounds very "Everfree" to me.

(Also, i noticed i started taking some of your writting habits while writting my comments, like coloring faction names and such, or putting in bold keywords. hope you don't mind me copying you that way, just makes things more clear to read so i thought it be a good habit to pick up.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now on the subject of the Cult. I found a song that might be fitting for one of their rituals (i was thinking of one with Lyra in it, if you remember what my version of Lyra was)

I was surprised that a Naruto song seems fitting for a ritual of the Cult.

Now of course remember this is considering the whole "Lyra is the leader of a more silent and calm group within the Cult, music is one of the only sounds you will ever hear within the Cult" kind of idea i have for Lyra. She would be playing the organ while the Cult members would be chanting during the Ritual. Or something like that. Though for the other Cult groups, i have no idea yet (or the factions for that matter). Still looking but I've been getting distracted so no promises on anything new soon. But I'll try.

Hmm... for me though, male choir makes me think more of M&S than the Cult. It defines seriousness, not a common trait to have in the Cult that's for sure. Female choir however is really fitting. The part where it came up in the music really makes me think of the Cult. Also, the organ is a perfect fit to this. A good thing that Pinkie is able to play an organ in the canon show, really ties up the connections of the Cult...

Oh yeah, we can't forget Carbon Maestro..!

His album called "Pony Empires" is really good. In fact, he's really good..!

Track List (And Starting Times):
01.) For an United Equestria (Vocals by EileMonty) 0:00
02.) From Saddle Arabia 4:03
03.) In Memoriam (Of the Crystal Ponies) 7:57
04.) Griffon Kingdom 11:27
05.) Dragons Of The South 14:53
06.) Changeling Anthem 18:45
07.) Zebra Tribes 22:04
08.) Ahuizotl 25:12
09.) Ordo Ad Chao 28:25
10.) Buffalo Nation 32:18
11.) Tartarus 36:07
12.) The Shadow King 39:07
13.) Muffinland 41:38
14.) Sun (Vocals By MEMJ0123) 45:33
15.) Moon (Vocals By Periluna) 49:35
16.) Fellowship Of Magic 53:08
17.) For A United Equestria (Instrumental) 56:45
18.) Sun (Instrumental) 1:00:50
19.) Moon (Instrumental) 1:04:53

Edit - :derpyderp2: : Why did I put the track list here? I have no idea..!

For your information, never watched the movie, so I have no idea about the meaning of this song...

The sacred prophets of the Laughing Mare lies in their own sea of blood, both their enemies' and their own. Without the prophets, the Cult became sundered, and they were mercilessly hunted down for their terrible misdeeds. Was it terrible? Is it insane to bring laughter and joy in these dark, horrible times..?

The place is Old Ponyville, or what's left of it. The Prophets of the Laughing Mare gathered here not for any rituals nor discussions, but to make their one last, final stand. Indeed, they are extraordinary. But they are still mortals, and fatigue took the better of them...

Royal Pin failed, he failed his brothers and sisters. A shame that he would be remembered as the last Jester. Well, at least he outlive the Harl-Equines. Poor fellows, he never hated them. He even considered them friends and allies before. The grand rivalry was there for, well, for fun...

A broken tool can be fixed, but if it breaks again; as long as you keep fixing it, it won't be the same. This is the case for Screwball, she was broken after Discord, her creator was defeated. She fixed her with a new purpose in these dark times. Screwball would devote her life, no, her entire existence for the Laughing Mare. Now that she's broken again, would she at least be by Her side in the afterlife..?

Her body diving through the clouds, Surprise was about to taste the fate that she had bring to many. Irony? No, this is what it should be. The Wonderbolts were the best. They are the best. The cadets trained by Spitfire have fire in their eyes, just like her. She would've prefer to be defeated by Spitfire herself though, but no point being greedy now. Well, she might as well let out her last laugh of the sky... Oh dear, she lost her voice...

It seems the guest had become so serious, Lyra couldn't play with them anymore. Shame, she still have many magnificent shows left, and many more she's still working on. Although the ruins are indistinguishable, she knew where she's lying at. It was Bonnie's home, her home. No candy in Equestria can be compared to her's. Lyra opened her mouth and try to chew on something that is already long gone for more than 15 years. Despite that, it's still tasty...

Derpy trotted aimlessly around the ruins, blood trails ran all over. She's trying to find her home. Her friends told her that it's around here somewhere, the house that washed away with Dinky in it. When she finally found it, she dug away the soil, ignoring the grave wounds inflicted by countless. Finally, after enduring the endless pain, she found her, Dinky. She hug what's left of her, her corpse was preserved under all the soil. At last, they are reunited. Now they can be together again, nothing would separate them, nothing...

Cranky sighed, his body on the edge of a cliff, below leading the the abyss of the water. He had been leading the Cult for long, and this is the result. He regretted that he couldn't fulfill his duty. But if destruction is Her judgement, then Cranky would follow. He let out the last of his power, then the cliff starts to break. He whispered to himself, "Matilda, you are very lonely in there. Don't be sad, please, I'll be by your side now. I'll always find you, no matter where you are..."

I swear, it was going to be short. I just don't know what went wrong. :derpytongue2:

First time attempting to write up something sad too..!

This is what I imagined of this song, the demise of the Cult. Well, I went a bit overboard with it. But, oh well... :pinkiesmile:

Since Whitegold is renaissance-ey with culture and deceit, this track fits Manehattan...

Maybe Revelations' would fit Trotpoli, Maremphis, and El Manelein...

You know, the three cities to the south..? :moustache:

hmmm, I actually don't see it... I always saw Manehattan in this universe as being more of a giant rich man paradise. This feels more like..... Small packed streets, yellow stone like walls, dirt roads. I feel like, Manehattan would have more a "graceful" nature to their music, more long string like instruments without going into religious like territory like Moon and Star or something. Pianos and violins and such. This songs is KINDA there but.... sounds a bit too... ungraceful. Might just be my personal opinion but, i just see Whitegold having more of a taste in things like classical music and "Rich" sounding music over this. This however could fit the Slums of Whitegold better. Maybe have a bit more concussion sounds to have the whole packed and poor kind of sound to it.

It's probably just opinion, but i just don't see the Whitegold richness of Manehattan in this song. I see more along the lines of Classical music and such. Even if they have a Renaissance style to them. However, maybe Baltimare could have a more fitting theme due to it NOT being the primary giant city of gold that Manehattan is, and so being more closely tied to the renaissance era compared to Manehattan. Also there's a sense of suspense in the song a bit, let's not forget Batltimare is a key point to the Cult :pinkiecrazy: that suspense fits well for that reason.

:raritywink: : I wasn't imagining Manehattan as a whole, but only a certain part that defines it. The darker parts, the narrow alleys that always stage shady businesses by Thugs and Nighthooves...

:moustache: : The Light must always be paired with the Dark. Beneath the heavenly facade of Whitegold lies conspiracy and deceit. You may enjoy your paradise. But be wary, ambitious individuals are everywhere, and they are more than willing to get their hooves dirty to satisfy their greed...

:coolphoto: : The House of Borgia is similar to Whitegold. This music doesn't define the noble paradise, but what lies underneath it. The Undercity is just too... dirty. The sounds of the strings are what makes it, "High Class", quite fitting for the cultured intrigue of the Borgia and Whitegold...

:unsuresweetie: : For me, I see Baltimare as being similar to Manehattan, but not as epic. There are still culture and finance to cope with, like a small city compared to a metropolis. The huge difference is that there are not much deceit to it. AKA, you don't have to be paranoid around here...

4061557 So this kind of music would fit more the slums and would fit a the darker parts of Manehattan, i guess i was thinking more along the lines of the song being played by the musicians within Manehattans walls, which would feel more like classical music and waltz and such. However its true that the darker more ominous side of Manehattan do fit this...
Though id still think thered be more of a... percussion kind of sound to the slums. As in more quick hitting kind of sounds, due to the more "grungy" style of it. but yes, i actually see where your coming from, though personally i don't "like" it (as in i'm more meh about it), it makes sense.

Speaking of slums, with the new release of Dying Light, I found this song which is the song that plays when your in the slums without any zombies nearby or anything. Its like a calm but VERY ominous song, where do you think it would fit? Personally, I don't think it fits the slums of Manehattan, even with its name. Its too...quiet. I was starting to think Everfree possibly, not sure. But i feel like it could possibly fit somewhere as like a "theme" for a place, not necessarily played IN the world of ED, but like a background song for a game or animation or something. Maybe even for a overview shot or video of Equestria in its current state without seeing any battles or anything, like a bird flying over each faction or city or something, this playing in the background.

:applecry: : Aww... I haven't got the budget to buy the game yet, 4073413..!

:trollestia: : You said this played when there's no zombies around, yes? I must say, they do as I expected. This music really gives you a sense of paranoia with some tranquility in it. I'm very impressed. It really fits one thing, after the battle...

:pinkiecrazy: : The vibe you get whilst treading through what's left of the battlefield. Death surrounds you wherever you turned, the only life here are you, looters and survivors...

4074486 XD i was broke after buying this and Evolve ain't buying anything else in awhile., but anyways lets not go off track here.

Maybe an overview of Equestria in its current state, but we see all the battlefields with the corpses and such everywhere.

We fly over the factions which are clean, beautiful, each a civilization thriving in this land.

But between them, we see the war torn lands, filled with the death and destruction that the division has caused. The quiet and sad peace that comes after the blood filled battles of war.
But deep down...
you know its only the beginning...

I dunno just thought of that real quick, if ever there was like an overview video of Equestria in its state, this song might fit it perfectly, especially if we do like you said, the aftermath of the battles that where fought.
(edit) Or maybe, have one song playing and see each faction... but then zoom out slowly or something and we see the battlefields and such and the song that was playing fades out, being replaced by the dying light one.

:ajsmug: : That I agree, 4080766, that the music fits the scenarios you described, but let's move on...

:ajbemused: : The army marches. Saint Trottersburg had remained steadfast with their neutrality and refusal to join the fray of the devout followers of the Sun for long enough. It is time to take action. With the approval of not only the reigning Diarch, but also the Archmagister as well, the Borderlands Crusade has begun, but who will be the victor in the end..?

:trixieshiftleft: : Many marshals are summoned to take part of this crusade, and the one with the largest force of them all is the Marshal of Stalliongrad, whose rumors of him having contracts with the Cult is all but worrying to many others. Studgart provides the much needed logistics to support their faithful allies. Though their armies large, the Borderlands can provide many potential adversaries for them, as it is not the Sun Guild alone that wishes to control the region...

:unsuresweetie: : The first of the adversaries is Saint Trottersburg, the virtual capital and the largest settlement of the Borderlands. The Sun Guild can provide many reasons to invade, the most particular being much of the presence of the Cult. The city can either choose to surrender and welcome the crusaders, or embrace the Laughing Mare and fight the invaders with the horrors the Cult might have...

:rainbowdetermined2: : The Griffin Kingdoms had maintained their influence in the Borderlands since Celestial Times, the Steelbeak Keep is the testament to that. Together with their Stormwing allies, they will never let the crusaders occupy the Borderlands. But why wouldn't they want the region as their own..?

:pinkiecrazy: : In the end, who will be the last one standing in the empty plains of the Borderlands? Will it be the faithful soldiers of the Sun or the Alliance of the Griffins and the Pegasi? Or will it be the staunch city Saint Trottersburg that will prevail in the end? No matter, because as always, the Cult of Laughter will have the last laugh... *giggles

:applejackunsure: : What do you think? This is what I imagined in Equestria Divided when I heard the music. It's gotta be M&S when it's this type of choir, am i right..?

:rainbowderp: : Possible "Battle / Fight" theme for the Cult..?

:derpytongue2: : Sorry, don't really know how to make fight scenes well, you know, thrilling..?

:pinkiesmile: : Although Choirs fit M&S, but that's the case of Hymns. In this however, there's a peck of madness. And when there's madness, there's the Cult...

:pinkiecrazy: : But every time I heard this song, I just can't help but immediately think of Sephiroth, the user of the theme. Oh, he ain't nuthouse mad, that's for sure. If you don't know him, this below should give you an idea how ridiculous the guy with that literally long sword is...

:rainbowlaugh: : The moment you hear the song, it basically is "You're Screwed!!!"..!

:ajsleepy: : Last one might've been a bit awkward, but no worries! Another just sparkled in my mind..!

:pinkiesmile: : I'm pretty sure you gents and fillies are more than just acquainted with this...

:rainbowderp: : No vocals in this though...

:trixieshiftright: : For one, and only one particular night that the Celestial Inquisition would let all from the highest of nobilities to the lowest of slaves to attend the yearly Hearth's Warming Eve...

:trixieshiftleft: : Many find this tradition to be spiritual, while others wouldn't think so. But all can agree that this must be done, for the flames of the Fire of Friendship are the strongest and only defense against the mythical Windigos...

:facehoof: : Even the unicorns of old are no match for the Windigos, how would the unicorns of this age fare against them? The only thing that's keeping them away is the Fire of Friendship. If that were to be destroyed...

:twilightsmile: : Luckily, only one night is enough for the fire to last. Thus every year, the Hearth's Warming Eve is held in the coldest of nights at the end of the year...

:twilightsheepish: : It started out of necessity and fear within the borders, attended by a small number of magisters. They soon realized that the fire would burn much longer if more give their "Friendship"...

:moustache: : The small ritual soon turned into a huge, yearly event which a myriad would attend. They would talk, play, share gifts, everything that is merely remnants of the times of old...

:scootangel: : Outsiders are also welcomed, but must leave before dawn, or else...

:raritywink: : The Celestial Inquisition finds this as a chance to apprehend, and utterly destroy any subversive activities in the area, especially the fun-loving Cult...

:pinkiesad2: : Nevertheless, no one can deny the miracle no one had expected to come from the Nation under the Moon and Star. It might only be one night, but...

:trollestia: : Here you go, Equestria Divided version of the Christmas Truce, one of the better miracles of war...

4098646 Oh i know Sephiroth, trust me (favorite FF villain ever :D) And as your next post stated, it was a bit awckward, now that TYPE of music, could be fitting (however a bit more of a ''carnival'' feel is needed. Its mad but not happy) but the song itself isn't simply because of the fact that its "Sephiroths" theme, the song sings of a one winged angel and even says his name. And the choir, though a female choir like you said is fitting for the cults rituals and such, i would think a choir is less fitting for their battles. A happier insane song.
(Tough not exactly a battle theme, heres the idea of "insane Carnival" i was talking about)

I would love to jump into your second idea but i don't think il have time today. However i have a pretty good idea for it and hopefully i'll remember to say it later. (it involves twilight greatly, hopefully that will be enough for me to remember)

:raritystarry: : Why didn't I find this one sooner..?

:raritywink: : I'm sure you've heard of the legendary "Gypsy Bard" before. If not, be acquainted with the lyrics first, it is "the sad song with a deceptively happy tune" afterall...

:twilightsmile: : I'll post the lyrics over here, in case for some reasons, you colts and fillies remembered the tunes, but not the lyrics...

When you're rife with devastation
There's a simple explanation:
You're a toymaker's creation
Trapped inside a crystal ball

And whichever way he tilts it
Know that we must be resilient
We won't let them break our spirits
As we sing our silly song

When I was a little filly, a galloping blaze overtook my city
So they shipped me off to the orphanage. Said, "ditch those roots if you wanna fit in"
So I dug one thousand holes and cut a rug with orphan foals
Now memories are blurred, and their faces are obscured, but I still, know the words to this song

When you've bungled all your bangles
And your loved ones have been mangled
Listen to the jingle jangle
Of my gypsy tambourine

'Cause these chords are hypnotizing
And the whole world's harmonizing
So please children stop your crying
And just sing along with me

:moustache: : The deceptively happy tune is definitely the part that makes this perfect for the Cult. The instruments used in this version doesn't seem to be anything modern like electric guitars or things that are similar...

:pinkiehappy: : Add to that, it's Pinkie's song..!

:pinkiesmile: : I think this would be played when the Cult is having a good time, enjoying themselves and all. Looking it with that perspective really shows the brighter side of the Cult. When they're not being psychotic murderers, this might be what they would be doing: dancing, playing, enjoying themselves..!

:rainbowdetermined2: : Maybe some of the Cult's bards are gypsies! That way, the vocals will work here as well! What makes them special though? If any of you figured it out before me, post the unit in the Non-Canon Units thread..!

:eeyup: : Now, is there an orchestral version of "Rainbow Factory"..?

:rainbowhuh: : There is..!

:rainbowderp: : ...Awesome~

:twilightblush: : Truth be told, I didn't play much RPG to remember some good tavern songs...

:facehoof: : I just wish the bards perform less frequent so I would've immersed with this soundtrack without any help of mods...

:twilightsmile: : These kinds of establishment are no doubt, essential to this kind of setting...

After watching a rather recent Death Battle, I've been playing this song for quite a while and thought it might be another fitting theme for Equestria Divided :pinkiehappy:

:applecry: : There's just something about the BGM in Ragnarok Online that made it so nostalgic, it's hard to be forgotten...

This is supposed to be played when the player enters the church in the city, Prontera. One of the comments noted on how depressing the tune is to give the place a divine feeling to it, fitting to be a sacred ground. The user who commented this noted the contrast of the tune with the fact that this place is where players get married..!

One big quest in the game involves the player to investigate a curse that ties with the plot of the game. Of course, the some NPCs in the church is involved. It's hard not to notice that the depressing tune fits the intrigue of the ancient curse, especially when unveiling the truth...

The amount of solemnity doesn't make it so fitting to the Cult, so Moon and Star gets this one. I'm thinking of a religious building that holds intimidation, but not too much. A chapel or a church would be too small for a theme this serious. Cathedrals are too large too. What's in between? An abbey...

:raritywink: : I'll leave the rest for you to imagine walking down the chamber of an abbey while this theme is playing. Maybe some serious ritual was ongoing or something...

For Whitegold: City of Doors by Mary Crowell.

This could be a fitting theme for House Stormwing :rainbowdetermined2:

hey um, I know this may not be the place to ask but what the heck, I'm not sure what else counts as 'music'.: has anyone seen what happened to the Music Video thread I wrote? i lost my computer recently and came over to re-copy it to get back to work on it but I can't seem to find the thread.

You know, the EqD-ification of Lorde's remake of 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World' ?

My OC's a bard! :pinkiehappy:

Though given the political instability of Equestria probably stopped the imports of his precious Saddle Arabian Coffee, fine wines and cashmare, he's probably in a catatonic state. :eeyup:

Well thank you Hasbro for the new main theme song for the Everfree Tribes: https://youtu.be/v1SqIlieelQ

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30