Equestria Divided 707 members · 52 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

So this is probably a discussion that may or may not be worth having, but it's bugging me so why not, I might as well put it out there:

This is the official map of Equestria:

And this is PY's original original map in Equestria Divided.

Now I don't mean to be a pain or a contrarian (and I hate having to phrase it that way because the last time I opened a question with that sentence people posted 'baiting' gifs - still not sure if that was mocking me...), but when you compare the two the EqD world is a bit smaller and is really less geographically varied. Is there some canon or convenience reason we still use this map since, technically, as the show progresses and more and more places and settings are added to the world via the show and the comics the map's advantages (mostly the name and location of cities) become less viable and valuable?

Personally, I think PY's map is more detailed and maplike than the official, so I prefer it.

This has been bugging me as well.

Now I don't know if you know that the zebras came from the other side of the Everfree Forest as stated in the Journal of the Two Sisters. From what we can see in the original map, the opposite of the Everfree is Appleloosa, the Frontiers. For EqD's is a bit more accurate, we could easily assume that the other side of the Everfree is the Zebran Tribes, but the descriptions of the map doesn't fit here as well.

If we look at the original map, we should wonder, where did the changelings came from. In EqD's map, it's obvious. But the original? Where in Equestria did they come from? Macintosh Hills?

I prefer the Crystal Empire being a neighbor to the Griffon Kingdoms, having a body of water or ice seperating them would be acceptable I guess.

I was also considering the locations in the original map should also be canon in EqD, what do you think?

The scale of both maps is very different, the first one seems to be on a smaller scale while the second one covers more area.

3813143 That's the same map. It just has borders on it.

Nah, it has more locations added to it.

One other thing to consider: in the EqD map of Equestria Poniville is the center of the world with Canterlot as a capital off to the side almost at the sea. The original map has Canterlot rightly at the center of the kingdom. It's a little different that Manehatten is at the sea safe away from everything, but knowing Rarity that actually makes just as much sense as her taking over the greatest metropolitan city, despite it putting her at the center of every conflict.

Also:

The comics expanded the map southward
So while we don't know where the changelings came from, we at least know where they landed.

Comment posted by Enigmatrix deleted Dec 30th, 2014

Comments from this Original Member:

Yorrick wasn't exactly a stickler for canon, which is why Discord was distinctly ignored and forgotten. Frankly, I'd stick with Yorrick's map, trying to retrofit that other map will just end up producing a mess, and will look particularly badly designed if you don't manage to get the artist that created it involved in it.

That, and to be frank, Yorricks its bigger, more detailed, up to date on the political map of the war, and generally just more interesting to look at, otherwise Equestria just looks like some tiny backwater rather than a kingdom which could have a six way split between various powerful factions.

Right, I forgot about the short Discord dilemma. He'd probably still be a stone anyway, unless some fights broke out coincidentally near the statue. To be honest, he could be ignored as such fights won't occur around there, unless someone manage to lay siege to Canterlot...

I was typing my speculations on gameplay, and the whole map issues just came up. I figured that the topic is more than just gameplay, so I just pasted it over here. Besides, the EqD map just didn't have places that would make the setting more interesting. Who wouldn't want to see an epic battle by at Neighagra Falls? *hint *hint Skip to 1:00 - 1:15

Oh and by the way, we better take the "Distance not to Scale" seriously from now on...

Either way, I'm gonna try to retrofit the map, see how it turns out. If it's obvious mess, then I'll scrap it. But if not...

Really late, but can you tell me where you'd find that? The map that went south. The picture is too small...

Edit: Scratch that, found it...

OK, I did say that the EqD map didn't have some of the locations the Canon map have. You've guessed it, the Canon map didn't have all the canon locations, even saving the newer ones that were introduced aside, retrofitting is impossible.

Convinced, I'm going to stick with Yorick's map from now on. I'm going to delete my proposition as well, since that thing won't be any use after I typed this anyway. One problem however, still roams. I still want to see an epic battle at Neighagra Falls...

I like PY's map because it has great potential to be used as an MLP version of Risk :pinkiehappy:

Quick Question: Should we assume that Saddle Arabia controls the Emerald Coast..?

:twilightsmile: : I'm thinking of Maremphis due to being connected to Goldstream Village, which its namesake should suffice for what the village is all about. Saddle Arabia should be powerful in the Emerald Coast. Maybe they are fighting against colonial attempts of Earthborn and Whitegold..!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14