Authors Helping Authors 2,462 members · 8,593 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Okay, this is a day late (sorry), but worth it because the admin's pick for Fic of the Week is a totally awesome sci-fi story.

Awakening by solocitizen.

In the distant future, the power of magic is the stuff of myth and fairy tales, but for one young spaceship pilot it might be the key to survival. Lumina the unicorn is stranded on a frozen planet with no one but her ship's sentient computer and the voice in her head for company... a voice that claims to belong to the legendary Twilight Sparkle...

Science fiction meets a magic in this touching tale of a young pony trying to find out who she really is. The world building is wonderful. You really get the feeling that this story is just the tip of the iceberg in a much larger universe. It's nice to see a great science fiction story that is not a crossover. (Though there are some geek references. LOST fans will find much to enjoy here.)

What stands out, though, and the reason you should read the story whether you like science fiction stories or not, is the character of Lumina. It's always nice to walk away from a story feeling like you've actually met the main character, not just watched her from afar. She is a heroine to cheer for, and gives the story its heart.

So if you are looking for a great character-driven story with odd friendships and a powerful message, read Awakening.

See you, space unicorn...:twilightsmile:

Wait wait wait,
don't just parody a Cowboy Bebop quote and not have something to back it up, if this is a Cowboy Bebop crossover I need to know now, if not, I'm gonna need to be directed to where I can find one

I'm Educated Guess, and I approve this featured fic.

Oh man, thank you so much for featuring my fic!
I'm sure Lumina would be thrilled to know that her journey has attracted so much attention and positive comments... actually, I take that last part back; I'm sure she would be nothing less than horrified to find out that strange ape things have been watching her the entire time.
Anyway, thank you again :pinkiehappy:!
Sorry, not a cross over, but I was on a Cowboy Bebop binge while I was writing it, though, if that helps.

Comment posted by solocitizen deleted May 17th, 2013

997770 You're welcome. Thank you for writing it!:twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5