Authors Helping Authors 2,462 members · 8,593 stories
Comments ( 44 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 44

This can apply to broken bones and bodily fluids as well, but one thing I've always had a hard time with was the use of blood in MLP stories, especially Rated Everyone stories.

In the show, the closest we've come to damage to a pony was applebloom chipping her tooth, but no blood occoured and it was fixed like magic, so there is no direct answer. Now, unless you believe that the ponies are made out of mud, clouds and fairy dust, then the notion that these character are made of flesh is a given, but if they are, would the mentioning of blood make a story an AU or rated T instead of E?

My stance on this is that is it isn't caused by graphic or violent means, (like a bloody nose, a paper cut, broken wrist, lost a tooth, etc.) then It wouldn't be a problem to have the story rated E, but i want second opinions first.

3999982 I would say the intention behind the blood matters most. I mean there's a difference between a bloody scraped leg because of a scooter accident and being ripped in half by a bloodthirsty demon from the Stygian pit.

It depends on the context, really. If, say, you mention that Rainbow Dash has a bloody nose because of a crash, that's still E; on the other hand, if someone is bleeding from multiple cuts because of a fight, that would be T.

Okay, I thought so. I just wanted to get a second opinion because some people are massive sticks in the mud over small shit.

Ignore 'em. :pinkiehappy:

3999982 Hmmm. Occasionally in my everyone stories, I'll have some blood related to an injury. For instance, in my CheesePie story, I had a rather graphic scene where Pinkie's side was cut open by a rock. Now, granted, this was at night, and I didn't describe it much more than the feeling of the blood, but I did post a warning at the top of the chapter explaining that there was some "soft core gore." That's generally what I'll do if I add blood into an everyone story, just so squeamish readers don't freak out (I don't want anyone freaking out about my story). Now, if that blood comes about from violent means, then yes, I'd bump up the rating to teen.

3999988, I definitely agree. And also, I have no clue what a Stygian Demon Pit is.

4000076 I also agree. Blood, when used in nonviolent context, is just a minor thing, depending on the magnitude of the wound. From a fight, I would probably bump it to teen, and if a bad wound was caused by was a weapon (I.e, spear, knife, dangerously sharp pie tin used in a harming manner, etc.), I might even put the 'Gore' tag.

I think the others pretty said it. The rating depends on context, normal every day bleeding is E, getting shanked is T, dismemberment via woodchipper is M. I would use the rating system for video games as a guide

4000840 basically Hell.

while it's not much, let's remember that Twilight got a 'scar' from a paper cut in It's About Time.

And of course there was Rainbow's broken wing. Rarity had a throbbing hoof once, and I think she stabbed herself with a needle, but I might be wrong on that last one.

So I think as long as you're tasteful, you're okay.

Also, I am vastly amused that Dancewithknives is asking questions about injuries involving bleeding.

4001211 forgot about the scar, the wing thing to me lacked the disgusting feel that AB's chipped tooth had.

Don't worry, though. I always practice with my butterfly knives..... I think I actually had this conversation in my userpage once.

Also, as a sort of verdict on the discussion, I had a fic just fail moderation because of the blood in it. Of which the blood was caused by a nose bleed after a character had their broken nose reset.

Wait... what? Considering the gorefests that have been posted... what rating was it?

4003933 E. It was basically because the reviewer felt that bloody guaze was unfitting with the show. I don't necessarily blame them, I just don't agree with it.

4003945 Should I link the story here after it passes through the mods?

I don't see why not, gives us an idea what you are talking about and give our opinions on the blood issue

You could probably send a PM objecting, although the moderator may or may not change his opinion. However, I doubt you'd lose many potential readers by changing the rating to T.

4003989 I don't really see it as much of a battle to fight over.

Yeah, in your shoes I probably wouldn't, either.

4004043 I gave them a link back here in case they would like other opinions. I had a feeling this would happen, but it really doesn't matter, I just slapped a big disclaimer on the short description that the story contained a bit of bloody gauze.

I just slapped a big disclaimer on the short description that the story contained a bit of bloody gauze.

Always a safe bet. I've been overly conservative in some of my own story ratings (a reviewer even wondered why I'd tagged one story 'mature'), figuring it's better to be safe than sorry.

My own personal favorite disclaimer? (again, on one of my own)

Trigger warning: some innuendo, lots of swearing.

One percent of the total word count was the f-word.

4004095 was it used 10 times?

that's nothing compared to my own self deprecating Self Insert in Between Needles and Knives, who is a gigantic dumbass as well as a huge bigot.

26, in a 2100 word story. Pretty much every bit of dialogue used the f-word once or more.

Berry Punch swears like a sailor.

4004211 You mean, a drunken sailor?

Depends on the characterization... *looks up story* and drunk would be the characterization

I'm revoking the submission now, it's been over 3 hours and site population is starting to dwindle. Expect it tomorrow.

So, what do you do with a drunken sailor?

Which means I'll probably read it tomorrow afternoon once my shifts ends.

4004251 You could probably sneak off to the shitter and be done with it before the toilet bowl drains. its only 1.6K long.

So, what do you do with a drunken sailor?

Put him in a room with the Captain's daughter.

Don't even need to do that, three hours in the lock up area for the small and very expensive electronic computer bits during the opening shift? I read well over that in that time

Darn right early in the morning.

4003969 Do a before and after if you haven't already carried through. I mean, this is freaking retarded.

4004566 all I'm did was change the rating from E to T.

4004583 Oh ok. Still that is bloody stupid of them. Getting offended that blood was in the fic no matter the context is beyond moronic.

4004606 i can empathize wih this because the E rating needs to be protected like a prized pig. I'd rather save my energy over what I think is a a really groundless rule about not using copyrighted song lyrics .

4004234 I also think she was intending to say "and that is how Equestria was Meade".

Which, begs the question, have somone openly intoxicated in the show is fine, but blood isn't? (My memory fails me, but wasn't BP passed out in the show)?

DH7

I consider cartoons in general when thinking about 'E' stories. I expect a 'Teen' story to be at least as heavy as a typical shonen anime. Rainbow Dash once had her wing broken, and a drop of blood isn't nearly as visceral in text, is it would be on television.

As many have said, it depends on the context. Blood from an "innocent" thing is okay, while blood from extreme violence would require an appropriate rating.

Though, to be honest, I am amused by this whole violence thing. I mean, look at what kind of movies/games/shows/whatever kids have access today. The ever popular slasher movies, or even simple action flicks where the bad guys are mowed down by the crapload. Violence is so ingrained in almost everything around us that we, by the most part, don't even notice it. Therefore, I find it very funny when someone raises a huge stink over a bloody nose in a kid show.

On a side note, another thing that amuses me is, while it's perfectly fine to show all sorts of violence, the moment there's a microsecond of partial nudity or loosely implied sex, everyone just loses their mind.

Has anyone gotten around to it yet?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 44