Lightning Dust Is Best Pony 550 members · 499 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

According to the people at the group We hate what's happened to MLP, Lightning Dust isn't treated very well by the fandom and is mostly ignored. Though I personally disagree, why is that?

Because she's been in only two episodes and in neither did she really get a proper redemption. The Flim Flam brothers atleast got an episode to let you understand why they do what they do, but Lightning is mostly portrayed as season one Rainbow with little depth despite having plenty of potential and we don't even get a reason why.

But then again I not exactly sure either.

I still like her regardless

No pony, and I mean no pony in this show, from Lemonade Twirl to Twilight Sparkle herself, is without fans. The Parasprite, author of the famous fic Solitary Locust, has written plenty of compelling Lightning Dust portrayals.

I myself like LD for the same reason I like Trixie and Cozy Glow; She’s an unrepentant twat in an otherwise pretty saccharine cartoon. We need ponies like her to give the more upstanding protagonists someone to rail against. In professional wrestling, these characters are called Heels, and that’s what I’ve always considered Lightning Dust to be: an excellently archetypal Heel.

i'm a big fan of LD as well, i personally think she is a good pony at heart, although when dash is around she tends to let her emotions get the best of her and ends up making bad decisions.
i currently have 6 LD plushies, three custom figures and a whole heck of alot of artwork.......i don't have a problem, i swear

I am pretty disappointed they botched the only attempt to bring Lightning back in Season 8. I'm aware that most people including those who aren't even fans of her character hate that episode because of multiple characters portrayal in the episode.

And about the whole wrestling heel thing. I whole heartedly agree. Of course the other side of the coin here would be Rainbow as the face and Scootaloo's turn from one side to the other.

Suddenly I can't stop hearing Dolph Ziggler's WWE theme. I wonder why? :trixieshiftleft:

"It should have been me!"

My main beef with The Washouts was it feels like an unfinished story. Like, LD getting dragged off like that seems like a plot development that would happen at the end of Act 2, not Act 3. Plus, because she wasn’t featured in the finale, there’s kind of an uncomfortable implication that maybe that rocket killed her.

If I was the one tasked with writing Lightning Dust’s return episode, I’d have reworked the ending so Scootaloo actually did want to go through with the trick, but Rainbow Dash swoops in to “save” her anyway, interrupting the show and angering not just Scoots but all the ponies in the stands too. Then, just when Dash is at her lowest point, booed by the crowd and dealing with the realization she has been acting as the jealous, possessive Heel this whole episode, Lightning Dust would take the stand and stick up for Dash in her own warped way.

“Ya know Dash, you got your dream position in the Wonderbolts, a huge group of friends, and the reputation of someone who’s saved Equestria ten times. But you still feel the need to muscle in on my life whenever we see each other. First you couldn’t stand me outranking you in the academy, and now you can’t stand me having the attention of even a single one of your fans. It makes me feel... it makes me feel....

It makes me feel sorry for you, to be honest. I mean, look at me: It’s no secret I’m kind of a loser compared to you, but I’m still a lot happier with my life. It’s hard to tell what your problem is. You just seem so high strung and insecure all the time. And I don’t know if I can help you get past that, but I’m willing to try. For Scootaloo’s sake, because she deserves a better role model than me. She deserves you. The you that she knows you can be. So.... friends?”

There ya go. End the episode with Dash learning the same moral that Rarity learned in Dragon Dropped: that sometimes you need to give your younger sidekick some space to hang out with whomever they please. If they’re really your sidekick, they won’t forget you. And rather than be jealous and possessive, try to make friends with the newcomer. They might not be as bad as you remember them.

Really? Even Fluttershy's little brother?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9