Friends Of All Generations 295 members · 316 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

Just recently, someone gave me a link from Youtube that has a review about MLP Tales and claims that it was terrible revival for the franchise.

https://youtu.be/Z5mc1Vv_YAE[/youtube]

It really depends on the preference if the person. I can see why most think it is terrible. (I have written some mlp tales fanfics. Lol) but there are those who believe it’s good.

Of note, I'm the one who gave TalB the video link, did it because I thought TalB would appreciate it, and also because the video creator is someone I've watched a lot of work from. So those facts, and that her response about her affinity for G1 is apparent, makes her visceral response to Tales hold at least some weight. I can appreciate what the people in Tales tried to do, especially given how TalB informed me of the fact there was no series output between this and G3, and that G2 never had an official tie-in series, but I can also certainly understand how good intentions are...well, you know the saying.

I just thought that it would be interesting to see what others here thought about this video, though I'm not sure how many really watched considering its length of being 41 minutes. Nonetheless, I did find that video interesting. Sometimes it's easy to think that MLP Tales is G2 because it was the next series made, but it's really G1.5. Unfortunately, there is no answer to why the real G2 was never made into a series and was just limited to the toy line only. Whatever the reason was, we'll just never know. Nonetheless, I can see why MLP Tales didn't resonate much and that was mainly due to the constant theme of awarding bad behavior when it's supposed to be a kids show. More importantly, why did this show only have earth ponies while not having any unicorns and pegasi? My guess is either they don't live in the same town the earth ponies live in or that they just don't exist in this generation. I really felt that they should have just resumed MLP 'n Friends instead and give it a proper ending, because I really felt that the episode, The Prince and the Ponies, wasn't really supposed to be the last episode and there was probably supposed to be more following that but show ended there and was stopped since then. On a side note, although G3 wasn't that good either, it at least had some better animation and brought back the other two groups but that was about it for G3.

This series was ahead of its time. These days slice of life cartoons are a lot more accepted. It's shame that it's gone from ignored into just another target along with G3.

You are aware that MLP 'n Friends had slice of life episodes as well, so that wasn't something new for the franchise. In other words, it wasn't always dedicated to adventures and fighting villains. Knowing that generation, I do remember that even Megan showed up in episodes that didn't involve fighting a villain such as Sweet Stuff and the Treasure Hunt, The Magic Coins, and Would-be Dragon Slayer. At least there it was known how to mix it up. Getting to MLP Tales, it wasn't really the fact that there were no real adventures here, it was more that it had a constant theme of giving the illusion that it's alright to be bad and it would even pay off in the end. In reality, you wouldn't award bad behavior, which was what I never got about this show. For a moment I thought that this was supposed to be a kids show. Perhaps, a better name for that show could have been "Ponies Who Behaving Badly" since that was the constant theme of it. Another thing is that I don't mind them being able to stand up on hind legs some of the time, but not all of the time or they wouldn't be real ponies. Hearing about if we needed humans, which is why there was Megan, Danny, and Molly for G1 can sort of tie in with Equestria Girls as well, because I never got why there was a need to give a spinoff for G4 where they are all humanized when I felt that giving them human companions such as rebooted versions of Megan and her siblings would have done just that if it was really about bringing humans into G4, though there was a rumor that the said spinoff might have been a conduit that would give back the idea of bringing Megan onto the regular show itself, but that never happened and was nothing more than a rumor. Overall, I can see why MLP Tales didn't last after one season and felt like a failed reboot.

"it was more that it had a constant theme of giving the illusion that it's alright to be bad and it would even pay off in the end. "

That is a completely and utterly incorrect.

I enjoyed this show for how it took the 'no bad guys' rule it had and MADE IT WORK. In any other show, the 'Whose Responsible' baddie would have been some trite corrupt CEO, instead, we get a far more realistic message that it was ordinary people just being wasteful that caused the garbage mound.

"Overall, I can see why MLP Tales didn't last after one season and felt like a failed reboot."

I felt that way... as a small child, when it I didn't bother to watch it for not having any fantastical elementals. I didn't even watch all the episodes until I was an adult. And legit enjoyed them.

I really enjoyed Tales personally, and feel it's actually got stronger continuity than a lot of the others.

If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine, but personally I legit enjoy it and feel it did good with the mandates given. You can even see continuing development by characters.

I take it you didn't watch the video, because if you did, it was explained in the video what the episodes were like at least from the perspective of the one who made it.

I know I've watched every episode multiple times.

In all honesty, every generation of MLP had its ups and downs. Even G4 itself wasn't completely perfect despite how popular it was. I'm aware that there are fans for the least favorite generations as even the worst teams in sports leagues can have fans as well. I wouldn't be surprised if there were those who would come to defend G3 and Newborn Cuties despite how bad those were as well as even Pony Life. Although I will admit that those in between G1 and G4 had their moments, I never found any of them to be good series overall. On a side note, I still find it to be a missed opportunity that it was decided not to bring back a rebooted Megan for G4 despite rebooting so many others from G1, though I will be happy if some later generation does that such as G5 and later on.

Newborn Cuties was just to round out the budget from what I could tell given how little effort was put into it.
And stop picking on Minty dangit! I never saw G3 as a child. And I brushed it off as banal... until I actually watched the show and legit liked it UNIRONICALLY! Please stop calling it bad.

My point is none of the generations were perfect and that was whether or not they were popular. One of the things I never liked about G4 was that it was mostly the episodes at the beginning and ending of the seasons that really played a role to the endgame while the ones in between were nothing but filler and played little to no role towards that. I don't really have anything against the slice of life episodes or even if it was to give more to minor and recuring characters, but not if it doesn't play much of a role towards the endgame. At least the generations before it didn't have an overall plot, so any type of episode can work there. Looking back at G1, I always felt that MLP 'n Friends hardly had a second season and was stopped short. Whatever it's true ending was supposed to be, we'll just never know. More importantly, I never got what the "Friends" part of the name meant, because it could have referred to human companions the ponies had or the shows that it was sometimes paired up with which were Glo and Friends, Potato Head Kids, and Moondreamers. Then again, it could have been both of those. Another thing to note about that show is that it had two different openings sequences and themes of one for when it was paired up with those shows and the other for when it wasn't. Overall, you don't need to be defensive if someone gives criticism of something that you like, because if you have a right to state your opinion, then so do others as well.

I prefer constructive criticism.

Just for the record, neither me nor Toxic34 made that video or even asked whoever that person was to make that said video. Whoever that was that made that did it on her own accord at least to my knowledge. Also, I do remember somewhere on Youtube there was a video that gives a half-hour overview on G4 and even states its flaws as well, so don't act as if that was perfect as well. Perhaps, there will be other videos for the other generations where someone gives their critique on them as well. I'm certain if someone gives it for G1, I can probably expect someone to say that it was either too dark, and/or ask for why there are human companions such as Megan, though I still wish she was given a real comeback.

I never said they were perfect.

Even if people do criticize something and even address the flaws, it doesn't mean that they actually hated it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19