MLP: Motherhood is Magical 2,655 members · 1,540 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

I'm one of those dreaded next gen artists, meaning I love drawing and creating fan kids. But I don't want to be weird by giving a mother too many children. So I'd like to know from other bronies what they think the likely average is per family? For most of my families it ranges from 1 to 3. I want to know if 4 kids is too many.

I don't see a problem, but try to make some of them older, say in their teens maybe, but else I don't see a problem with a family of four.
Just asking but do you take requests?

mmm honestly it depends entirely of the character
But I can only see fluttershy having more than three children

Probably slightly over two is the average. Depending on the tribe, could make a difference. Earth ponies (especially farmers) might have more foals. Most of the Mane 6 have one or two siblings, IIRC RD is an only child (and Pinkie’s got three sisters).

The largest number mentioned in canon as far as I know is eight: Apple Leaves has eight foals.

Apple Family Reunion; she’s got a couple lines when they’re making fritters.

(Jump to about 3:30)
Edit: 3:26

I'm sorry I do not do requests. 😅

Just make sure if you’re making the gestation 12 months like a IRL pony that they some should be 1 year apart otherwise people will wonder how X character was able to walk on all fours with quadruplets. Otherwise if you go by humans they should be 9 months apart at least

ood question.

Given how most of Equestria is rural and not urban, I'd see families averaging between 2 to 5 foals. Possibly more if they are farmers, or are looking to maintain a family business. (Not all foals will want to grow up and take over the family business. So having multiple helps ensure your legacy lives on)

For Manehattan ponies, I can see most having just a single foal with two being a 'at most' situation. (cost of living and time parents would have with their foals would not be as available as those who live in places, like Ponyville)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9