Military Bronies 569 members · 183 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Anyone ever work on pony marching cadences or other military songs?

I've got one I plan to use in a Fallout: Equestria fic as sung by the Enclave:

Once I caught a Dashite with a brand upon his ass
He begged me for some mercy so I turned him into ash!

His friends, they fell upon me with their hatred and their strife
My weapons I them emptied till I had to grab my knife!

When the day was through upon their bodies I did stand
And that's the story how I carved myself a Dashite's brand!

Not pony-related per se, but I have made my fair share of creative cadences. This one you have here is quite clever, but you seem to have too many syllables per line; I am not sure which cadence (if any) you are basing it on, but in general you want to keep the meter of each phrase simple (no more than two syllables per step) and constrained to one "bar" aka four steps. At least, anything more than that tends to turn into a jumbled mess when the troops take it up :facehoof:.

But this is prose, so as long as it conveys the message anything really works. Perhaps following the meter of a well-known cadence might help the reader out a bit.

As far as military songs, I use a few references to marching songs/marches for certain moments. For example, "The Filly (Girl) I Left Behind Me" and the march "Voice of the Guns"; in both instances they act at literary devices to foster mood or accentuate some point.

7419712 I didn't base it off of anything and is is for 100% prose as it goes into the narrators mind as he sings the song, but I didn't know that about cadences. Good call regardless.

Now that I've let it simmer in my ears, it could actually work quite well. I imagine the first two couplets having a rhythm similar to the opening verse of "It's a Long Way to Tipperary". The tune might be a bit too cheerful for FoE, but they are pastel colored ponies, so :derpytongue2:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4