Military Bronies 569 members · 183 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Greetings,

I am currently writing a story set in the Vietnam War. This will involve South Vietnam, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, and eventually, the United States. The basic plot is that a portal appears in Saigon in 1972. An invading force from the MLP world attempts to sack Saigon only to be repelled by the ARVN. Said invading force had already taken over Equestria and several other nations, and are currently enslaving the corresponding populations. In retaliation, South Vietnam goes through the portal and explores, and tries to liberate the MLP world. Further details would be disclosed via PM. A word of warning, there is graphic and disturbing content in my draft. In addition, the foe taken in consideration that the coalition may face is the Caribou, from the Fall of Equestria, a ficbase that's already been shrouded in controversy and stigma. I understand the risk of using such a foe and a ficbase, and let me assure you, I am not explicitly taking the route of original lore. The only concern is that it is another story of Humans defeating Caribou. If there is anyone interested, please reply or PM. Otherwise you need not reply.

With gratitude, The Lone Doctor

5913967 Have you learned anything about the Vietnam war?

The basics. Most of it from the South Vietnamese perspective. For instance, the setting takes place a month after the Easter offensive, where the North Vietnamese Conventional forces attempted to invade the South. Initially, the ARVN was caught off guard and fell back. But they managed to hold out, regroup, and push out most of the North Vietnamese with some U.S. air support. Politically, this was when the Paris Peace accords were nearly coming to a close due to responses to the Easter Offensive (Massive bombing and mining of strategic ports), and when Nixon, though won the election, was still being investigated for Watergate. I'm a history buff, though I might not explicitly know every perspective of the Vietnam War. I've only got a little from the U.S perspective with brief coverage from AP U.S history. I also plan to join a South Vietnamese reenactment group soon, so I've done research about what I'm supposed to wear. Though, most of what I know are events, I also know uniforms, equipment, and weapons. That's partly the reason why I am asking for an editor, if possible. I want make sure that the fic is as historically accurate as possible given the plot, in addition to the usual grammar and story maintenance .

5914291 Government, Politics and the like.

5914301 In regards to what I know, yes.

5914308 You know the basics of Diem's Regime?

Yes. In addition to what you've PM'ed me. Following Kennedy's death, Johnson increased the amount of troops deployed in Vietnam, and started taking in the draft. At around this time, I think 1962, Diem was overthrown in a coups by the ARVN. He and his brother were excecuted. Afterwards the government was run by the military, and there was around nearly a decade of power struggle between general after general until Thieu took over in 1965. Underneath Thieu, the government reverted back to a constitutional republic. The setting of the fic occours under Thieu's presidency, under Nixon and during his Vietnamization and peace with honor doctrine.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7