Military Bronies 569 members · 183 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

Well like the topic says i am trying to write a story about a britsh army showing up in equstria this a 18th century British army and i need some help finding out what artillery and guns the British army used at this time

I don't know much about that era, but you can ask the guys at the Military Handbook; I know a lot of them have some notion of it.

The British army used an absolutely massive variety of both bronze and iron cannon during the 18th century. There were basically no standardized designs, each foundry would make the guns differently, the only requirement being that they fired shot of a standard weight (3lb, 6lb, 18lb, etc.). They also used mortars, such as the Coehorn. Without knowing the specific unit and a narrower time frame, it's hard to pin down exactly what would have been fielded, though you cannot go wrong by just saying "[insert poundage here] cannon". Let me know if you have any more questions.

4011342 thanks i also need info on highlander units and the story will be around American revolution time era also did British officers have the right to kill there men if they ran from battle or disobeyed orders ?

What specifically do you need to know about Highland units? They'd have been utilized as elite line infantry, wore tartan and tam o' shanters and played bagpipes. Also, the NCOs carried claymores. That's all general info though. And yes, officers would be within their rights to shoot fleeing troops, but would very likely be routing with them. Or killed by their own men once they'd started executing them. (Flintlocks don't reload quickly)

4011392 like did the highlanders act like the tip of the spear and were did the British recruit them from ?you know to break the weakest point in The enemy line And also was the black watch considered highlander troops ? (Yea i know use a Flintlock deer hunting )

Death Sentences weren't as common as the movies make out, and were usually reserved for repeat offenders (specifically desertion and murder). The most common punishments were Running the Gauntlet, Flogging and other forms of humiliation. For stuff like cowardice and desertion, if it was a first time offense they would be branded with a C (for Coward) and D (for deserter), a repeat offense could carry a death sentence but it depended on what the commander decides. Once soldiers were punished the regiments would've welcomed them back into the fold.

The most common weapon for the 18th Century was the Flintlock Brown Bess Musket and the bayonet, in addition to sabers and flintlock pistols Also most Redcoats were volunteers, who wanted to escape the poverty and economic stagnation of the cities, officers often bought their commissions. Artillery included regular cannons and cannonades in various ponders (weight of the cannon ball)

Black Watch are highlanders, yes. And they would more than likely be on the wings of a formation, to hold down the flanks and bolster the morale of the men in the center. Then they could punch through the weaker sections of the opposing line.

4011887 ok cool thanks guys in my story the black watch are the first ones to run into the ponys so thanks

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10