Godzilla Has Return 563 members · 134 stories
Comments ( 29 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 29

I'll toss my bet in for GFW Mothra, her little dog fight with Gigan was very impressive and she managed to actually defeat and kill an enemy by herself with no help from Godzilla(granted, she killed herself in the process, but no other Godzilla ally can claim a solo kill).

Runner-up goes to Showa King Caesar. At least he was by Godzilla's side the whole time and helping him through MG's All Out Assault instead of cowering somewhere or being unconscious unlike some allies *glares at Rodan and Anguirus*

5487053 .... oh. No you did not insult the two closest allies of Godzilla.

5487053 Rodan and Anguirius have proven themselves to be Godzilla's closest and strongest allies in the Showa series. Rodan was with Godzilla throughout both Ghidorah fights, Anguirus was with Godzilla throughout Godzilla vs Gigan, and even defended Godzilla by fighting MechaGodzilla who impersonated Godzilla at the time. And both Rodan and Anguirus were there with Godzilla during the final bout with King Ghidorah in Destroy All Monsters.

5487053 s/he right you know.

5487066 Rodan bailed out in Destroy All Monsters. I'm not even joking, he literally flew away and left the others to deal with King Ghidorah just because King Ghidorah hit him with a glancing shot. That's pretty cowardly considering how strong he is, it's not like he's in danger of being killed by a few beams from King Ghidorah.

Anguirus ran from the military in Godzilla vs Gigan, Gigan knocked him out without any trouble whatsoever, King Ghidorah knocked him out without even hitting him(the gravity beam explodes near him and Anguirus just rolls over), and the only damage Anguirus managed to inflict to Mechagodzilla was...well, nothing, really. He didn't even scuff his paint job or chip the metal.

Rodan ran away and Anguirus was unconscious for quite some time in Godzilla vs Gigan or otherwise unable to fight. That makes them dodgy allies.

Closest? Rodan and Anguirus.

Strongest? Imago Mothra and King Shisa, unless you want to count mechs, in which case I'd also throw in MOGUERA and Super X3

The question was strongest, not closest. Yes, Anguirus and Rodan are the closest, but not the most powerful.

5487142 Anguirus tore a scale from the fake Godzilla skin on Mechagodzilla and was the first one to make King Ghidorah bleed. Rodan came back and gave Godzilla a boost in the Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 film via taking a shot for him. Anguirus also tried to help and got BUZZ SAWED IN THE FACE CAUSING MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF BLOOD TO SQUIRT FROM HIM. Rodan is also meant to be in and out and the bolt was enough to hurt her. You are taking away from actual facts about these two and making them seem weak and cowards. They are without a doubt the bravest of the Kaiju world because they're so outclassed. So before you insult them actually fucking STUDY UP on them before you judge them. As for strongest allies it would have to be Mothra and King Caesar.

5487144 Oh, dang, I forgot MOGUERA. Yeah, MOGUERA's a beast, he takes number one and Mothra gets bumped down to number 2. His weaponry was powerful enough to knock out Godzilla even with friendly fire, I'd say MOGUERA's the most powerful of all the Godzilla mechs let alone allies.

5487151 He tore a scale from MG, but that was just a disguise. The real Mechagodzilla with nuts and bolts and what not wasn't harmed at all. He made King Ghidorah bleed, but that really didn't do anything. King Ghidorah moved his head around just fine after that both times Anguirus bit his neck. Rodan gave Godzilla a boost...after trying to kill him over getting near Junior and himself being fatally wounded by MG2(to remove option of fleeing). Anguirus got hit by the buzz saw because he didn't do the shell slam into Gigan and instead charged face first into it. I think you're underestimating Rodan's durability. Rodan could tank blasts from Godzilla's ray and had taken bolts from Ghidorah in other movies without much harm, fleeing from just a few bolts shows cowardice. This is King Ghidorah, not Mechagodzilla, his beams aren't that beastly(he shot Godzilla in the nuts and Godzilla wasn't even all that hurt).

Anguirus ran from the military and Rodan ran from King Ghidorah along with trying to kill Godzilla couple of times. Rodan at least isn't trustworthy whilst Anguirus just has a serious glass jaw and lack of battle smarts(running face first into Gigan's buzzsaw while Gigan was making "come at me, bro" gestures wasn't a fine moment of combat skill). Anguirus I will say though is at least a good friend and brave. Rodan just bails or switches sides whenever it's convenient.

5487201 I am horrified to call you a Godzilla fan if that's what you think of his two closest allies.

5487217 Rodan flakes out from King Ghidorah so much as shooting a beam in her general direction and has fought Godzilla twice, once when Godzilla was a neutral character who could be reasoned with and spoken to and the second time when Godzilla just wanted to get his kid back(I won't hold that against Anguirus because when Anguirus fought Godzilla, Godzilla was evil).

Anguirus is defensible for bravery, I can understand that, but Rodan just isn't reliable at all. Rodan goes where the wind leads, and if that means ditching allies in a firefight, welp, it'll happen. There's a reason Godzilla called Anguirus to come with him in Godzilla vs Gigan and not Rodan despite Rodan's power. Anguirus is loyal, Rodan isn't.

5487251 Rodan rammed King Ghidorah in their first encounter causing both to fall to the ground. Rodan is officially the first one to hurt King Ghidorah and has often been cited as one of Godzilla's most consistant and stronger allies because of TEAM WORK. you're talking about power alone when you fail to account part of being an ally is being able to WORK TOGETHER which these two have done on more then one occassion. Anguirus was called on because most fans at the time were more familiar with Anguirus then Rodan. Rodan was also the first one who attacked Mechagodzilla 2, has had the closest one on one fight that isn't against an alien with Showa Godzilla despite having no real method to hurt him and is the first to knock down Final Wars Godzilla when they were brainwashed along with Anguirus and King Caesar. She also helped Godzilla fight King Ghidorah when they were captured in space without question in Monster X which is usually cited as one of the better Showa era Godzilla films. So yeah um. Where is that weak back bone you mentioned and that disloyalty? Any time the two have fought it is A FIRST FUCKING MEETING. Rodan runs from the military because HER WINGS ARE A HIGHLY VULNERABLE WEAK SPOT THAT THEY CAN SHOOT. So um that supposed 'cowardice' now..... where is it? Because I don't see it anywhere.

5487263 I'm not questioning Rodan's strength. I'm questioning Rodan's reliability. Rodan is an okay kaiju as far as power goes, not above average, but not weak either. I won't harangue her strength because Rodan isn't really deficient in it.

you're talking about power alone when you fail to account part of being an ally is being able to WORK TOGETHER which these two have done on more then one occassion.

Rodan has done this, but Anguirus has not. The only time I can think of is the shell slams into King Ghidorah, but King Ghidorah was already bent over backwards and helpless when that happened. Godzilla didn't really need him there to throw King Ghidorah around like a rag doll.

Anguirus was called on because most fans at the time were more familiar with Anguirus then Rodan.

I find this unlikely. Both had appeared as recently as the other, they'd be about as well known.

Rodan was also the first one who attacked Mechagodzilla 2,

This was for entirely selfish reasons though, that being wanting to keep Junior to herself.

has had the closest one on one fight that isn't against an alien with Showa Godzilla

King Kong and Hedorah disagree on this account. Debatably Titanosaurus too(Titano is far less durable than Rodan, but the strength difference is incomparable). Rodan is still probably the second or third strongest among the Showa good kaiju though(I'm not sure if Gorosaurus is tougher or not).

and is the first to knock down Final Wars Godzilla when they were brainwashed along with Anguirus and King Caesar

...No, she didn't. Even with a sucker punch from behind, she didn't make him fall. She just moved his head forward a little while he was off balance from Anguirus. This isn't a mark against Rodan though, GFW Godzilla was just god mode.

She also helped Godzilla fight King Ghidorah when they were captured in space without question in Monster X which is usually cited as one of the better Showa era Godzilla film

That would be because King Ghidorah never even hit Rodan save while Rodan was still dazed from being transported. Not to mention that fight wasn't clean at all, the Xiliens were pulling the strings on King Ghidorah. The second fight though does show some courage from Rodan. That being said, Rodan doesn't have to always be flaky in order to be unreliable. If the record is 50/50 on reliability, she's not a very good ally, is she?

. Where is that weak back bone you mentioned and that disloyalty?

When she runs from King Ghidorah in DAM after just one blast, when she attacks Godzilla out of nowhere in the Heisei series despite Godzilla being capable of reason in the Heisei series, and just generally spending most of her time not attacking in the Showa series or attacking from behind. She's strong enough to attack frontally, and had she done so(like Gorosaurus) their battles would have ended a lot more quickly).

Any time the two have fought it is A FIRST FUCKING MEETING.

Unprovoked attack is still unprovoked attack, especially against a Godzilla who knows friend from foe.

Rodan runs from the military because HER WINGS ARE A HIGHLY VULNERABLE WEAK SPOT THAT THEY CAN SHOOT

This never happened. I never accused Rodan of running from the military because she didn't. Rodan isn't weak, Rodan can take King Ghidorah's gravity beams without much damage. Rodan is just guilty of being reckless and cowardly.

So um that supposed 'cowardice' now..... where is it? Because I don't see it anywhere.

Abandoning your allies mid-battle when you're at no risk and doing the minimum effort possible in a fight, when done consistently, seems cowardly.

5487298 And wrecking a whole country just purely for one egg is rather selfish and arrogant. So why aren't you calling her out on her selfishness? Oh right because MOTHRA is so PURE and GOOD.

You are taking her apart without flanderized accusations done purely because of reasons. You don't have sound reasons you're just saying that for excuses. I'm out. I'm not touching this thread again and don't reply to it because if you do I promise it will not end well for you.

And wrecking a whole country just purely for one egg is rather selfish and arrogant. So why aren't you calling her out on her selfishness? Oh right because MOTHRA is so PURE and GOOD.

We're talking in terms of relations to Godzilla, not to humans. This is a false comparison and one I never made before. Whether or not Rodan attacks the humans doesn't matter unless it conflicts with Godzilla's goals. Mothra hasn't randomly attacked Godzilla just because she was out for a fight.

You are taking her apart without flanderized accusations done purely because of reasons. You don't have sound reasons you're just saying that for excuses.

If Rodan runs away once, it's still one more time than any other ally of Godzilla has ever done. If Rodan fights him twice for no good reason, then that's twice more than any other ally of Godzilla. The ratios involved speak for themselves.

I'm not touching this thread again and don't reply to it because if you do I promise it will not end well for you.

This is a public forum discussing movies about people in monster suits. There's no need for this to turn hostile.

5487331 ..... I am going to walk away and leave as peacefully as can be because I'm heavily disappointed by how low you consider Rodan's loyalty.

Having powers like a god and able to rebirth like a phoenix, Mothra certainly is Godzilla's most powerful ally, if only so long as she can save the Earth.

While both make good points, Truth is and I hate to admit this but Mothra(aka Freakin Hippie Jesus Monster) is still stronger than Rodan and Anguirus and is the only ally who has been able to kick Godzilla's ass more than once. Also Rodan is MALE! I don't where either of you guys got the idea he was female.

5487404 I have no doubt about that. I was arguing in defense that Rodan's a reliable ally instead of the coward that this asshole's claming he is.

5487404 Eh, Mothra's never won a clean fight against Godzilla, to be fair. Mothra's always either lost, taken on an exhausted Godzilla, or had someone else's help to carry the team. It's not fair to say Mothra has beaten Godzilla when there was always someone else to help her in doing that. Best claim to fame Mothra has is slaying Gigan's upgraded form.

Actually, Mothra vs. Godzilla implied that had Mothra been at her prime, she would have been able to do it, but she was out of the strength and the powers needed to do it, except for an anti-radiation mist that was poison to Godzilla. She was certainly able to toss him around a lot, until she (apparently) ran out of her mist and Godzilla was able to use her vulnerable position to his advantage, getting a point-blank on her wing. Even then, considering that she was able to remain aloft and the Shobijin emphasized that she had spent her strength, that might not have been the end of it had she been younger and more quick and resilient. Then we got an idea of what a younger Mothra was like in Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, in which all she did was summon mass hurricane winds, and she held Godzilla back remarkably effectively.

Mind you, this was against the Showa Godzilla, and the Showa Godzillas were probably the weakest incarnations of Godzilla; they just seem tougher because there weren't as many weapons and kaiju equipped to deal with them like in the Heisei series, what with cadmium shells and coolant and Destoroyah. However, Mothra didn's seem to ever get as powered up except in the Rebirth series, and that's when Godzilla started kicking her ass or only losing to her when she had help.

5489579 I just don't know how Mothra's supposed to put down Godzilla. Sure, she seemed stronger and faster, but she has no way of putting him down permanently. Hurricane winds? They've never ever worked in the Godzilla series unless a partner is involved. Batting at Godzilla with her itty bitty legs? I'm sure it's annoying, but not much else. Bashing with her wings? I dunno, it doesn't seem like she can do that repeatedly. The dust which was her trump card didn't really even seem to do much.

A prime Mothra would have been a longer battle, but I can't see it ending differently. She has a critical lack of ways to actually do anything besides harass Godzilla. This especially applies to later Showa Godzilla once he got stronger. Later Showa Godzilla could solo Ghidorah by himself, bust out boxing moves to toss Titanosaurus around like like a rag doll, and easily handle himself against Gigan and Megalon. He got stronger since the Godzilla vs Mothra where he was basically just a big animal.

Comment posted by PonyzillaMark5 deleted Sep 15th, 2016

I think the implication was that she used to have more powers than she did by Mothra vs. Godzilla, and remember, the Showa Godzilla's healing factor is not as efficient as later incarnations, so said possible additional powers might have been effective.

5490147 Well yeah, if she's shooting lasers out of her wazoo, then I can see her winning since lasers work pretty well in the Showa series.

Showa Godzilla doesn't have the best healing factor, but he has endurance in spades. Gets his eye and hand melted down, his whole body dunked in Hedorah's gunk, along with being hit by Hedorah's eye laser several times and standing in the middle of enough electricity to fry Hedorah, and he's fine. He gets wrecked by the Godzilla tower followed by an ass whooping from Gigan and Ghidorah and the moment he gets his bearings back, he whomps Gigan and proceeds to slam King Ghidorah like a rag doll. Not to mention all the abuse he took from MG and ignored in favor of getting through to rip off his head. I think he could push through Mothra's winds through endurance to eventually take her down, though it would be a long and tedious affair to do so.

Gets his eye and hand melted down, his whole body dunked in Hedorah's gunk, along with being hit by Hedorah's eye laser several times and standing in the middle of enough electricity to fry Hedorah, and he's fine.

I wouldn't say he was fine for most of the battle, given he was still injured and was moving more slowly after these attacks, but he did keep fighting, and this and all the other things you brought up seem to illustrate this point: He can be harmed and can feel pain, even killed, but until you kill him, he is just going to keep fighting, like he did with MechaGodzilla.

I'm beginning to see what you are saying: You are saying that you need a weapon that can actually do physical harm to him, like Mechagodzilla's Space Beams or Hedorah's Hedorium Rays, or King Ghidorah's Gravity Beams. That certainly does a lot of the trick, thought sometimes, you don't need to maim him in order to overpower him.

Toho King Kong certainly didn't, but yet again, to be quite fair, as long as he's super-charged, Toho King Kong can electrocute Godzilla and may even possess a superior healing factor when super-charged, judging from how his reactions to Godzilla's Radiation Blaze (that's more or less what the Showa Godzilla's weapon was called in Japan at the time) changed after being supercharged. But Godzilla was also getting nowhere fast with Kumonga, until Minilla and Godzilla combined blazes and made something strong enough to roast Kumo's exoskeleton.

Yeah, we haven't seen any additional weapons of Imago Mothra that are convincingly capable of really doing it to Showa Godzilla onscreen, but an earlier draft of Mothra vs. Godzilla had the Imago Mothra web up Godzilla just like a larva would, and while he was immobile, she chucked him into the ocean. Perhaps a young Imago Mothra has more weapons like this that can actually at least overpower Godzilla.

I wouldn't say he was fine for most of the battle, given he was still injured and was moving more slowly after these attacks, but he did keep fighting, and this and all the other things you brought up seem to illustrate this point: He can be harmed and can feel pain, even killed, but until you kill him, he is just going to keep fighting, like he did with MechaGodzilla.

I meant he was fine in the sense that he didn't really need a long rest period to just get back up and rip Hedorah to pieces. The longest rest period I recall was after Titano and MG's abuse, but even then, he ripped himself out of the grave they made pretty quickly all things considered and then proceeded to man handle MG despite his best efforts.

I'm beginning to see what you are saying: You are saying that you need a weapon that can actually do physical harm to him, like Mechagodzilla's Space Beams or Hedorah's Hedorium Rays, or King Ghidorah's Gravity Beams. That certainly does a lot of the trick, thought sometimes, you don't need to maim him in order to overpower him.

MG's beams certainly sent chunks out of him, that is true. Hedorah's beams are a bit interesting this case because they don't seem to cause much damage, but they released this weird smoke whenever they hit and it was the smoke that seemed to really cause a problem. I guess they make some kind of chemical reaction or poison. I'd have to disagree on King Ghidorah's gravity beams, they've only ever really seemed to be an annoyance to Godzilla. He blasted him in the crotch and amounted to nothing and at most, made his hands smoke a little. To be fair, that might just be because King Ghidorah has awful aim and misses most of his shots, so Godzilla isn't catching the brunt of the beam spam(same applies to MG, actually).

Toho King Kong certainly didn't, but yet again, to be quite fair, as long as he's super-charged, Toho King Kong can electrocute Godzilla and may even possess a superior healing factor when super-charged, judging from how his reactions to Godzilla's Radiation Blaze (that's more or less what the Showa Godzilla's weapon was called in Japan at the time) changed after being supercharged.

That's true, but Kong didn't face peak Godzilla, which is the one I'm mostly talking about. That being in the 70's where King Ghidorah, who used to be a huge threat to Godzilla on his own, is now viewed by the aliens as needing Gigan AND the Godzilla Tower in order to win the battle. If Kong had fought Godzilla in the 70's, when he absorbed electricity rather than being weak to it, things could have gone far worse for him.

Kong is a good example of pain durability though, after he got all super charged, it seemed like he ignored pain.

But Godzilla was also getting nowhere fast with Kumonga, until Minilla and Godzilla combined blazes and made something strong enough to roast Kumo's exoskeleton.

Kumonga had an effective venom that one shotted Kamacuras(I know that's a low metric, but it's something) and put out Godzilla's eye with that nifty stinger of his. Kumonga does still remain one of the stronger Showa kaiju though, interestingly enough. I dare say Kumonga could even beat King Ghidorah in the Showa era, he's at the very least a B-lister, and more than likely an A-lister in the Showa roster.

Yeah, we haven't seen any additional weapons of Imago Mothra that are convincingly capable of really doing it to Showa Godzilla onscreen, but an earlier draft of Mothra vs. Godzilla had the Imago Mothra web up Godzilla just like a larva would, and while he was immobile, she chucked him into the ocean. Perhaps a young Imago Mothra has more weapons like this that can actually at least overpower Godzilla.

That may or may not work, it depends on the situation. If she manages to pin him in a ditch or something like that, then it has a good chance of working. However, if not, then it's really asking to take a beam to the face. The Mothra silk isn't anywhere near as good as Kumonga's silk, said silk being able to actually counteract Godzilla's beam(even if lighters somehow burnt through it)

I'd have to disagree on King Ghidorah's gravity beams, they've only ever really seemed to be an annoyance to Godzilla. He blasted him in the crotch and amounted to nothing and at most, made his hands smoke a little. To be fair, that might just be because King Ghidorah has awful aim and misses most of his shots, so Godzilla isn't catching the brunt of the beam spam(same applies to MG, actually).

Also due to limitations of special effects, I'd wager, and Eiji Tsuburaya's "can't have a kaiju bleed in a theatrical movie" policy that he maintained. But yes, King Ghidorah was always always a lousy shot.

That may or may not work, it depends on the situation. If she manages to pin him in a ditch or something like that, then it has a good chance of working. However, if not, then it's really asking to take a beam to the face.

Don't forget flight though, a younger Mothra might be good at this.

But yeah, a young Imago Mothra might be able to tackle Godzilla and...that's it. Won't work against MG and Hedo though.

The Mothra silk isn't anywhere near as good as Kumonga's silk, said silk being able to actually counteract Godzilla's beam(even if lighters somehow burnt through it)

True, actually!

Also due to limitations of special effects, I'd wager, and Eiji Tsuburaya's "can't have a kaiju bleed in a theatrical movie" policy that he maintained. But yes, King Ghidorah was always always a lousy shot.

I mean Anguirus bled like a stuck pig in the very second movie from Godzilla mauling his throat, so it's not like there wasn't precedent for it. There was plenty of blood in Godzilla vs Gigan and Destroy All Monsters as well, but King Ghidorah still fails to draw blood with his beams. In a movie that already had blood like DAM or GvG, replacing a shot of blood with King Ghidorah doing it wouldn't make much of a budget difference(i.e. the second time Godzilla bleeds being given to Ghidorah instead). King Ghidorah's aim is bizarre. He can hit tanks and far away targets pretty well, but the moment they get in front of him, it's like he loses all control and just flails his heads so that his shots go wide at point blank range.

Don't forget flight though, a younger Mothra might be good at this.

It's an advantage, but I'm willing to bet on Godzilla blasting her out of the air. He shot Gigan out of the air pretty darn easily when the mood hit him, even if Rodan and MG seemed to be harder for him to shoot down. I believe he may have shot down Hedorah as well? I don't remember exactly

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 29