Christian Bronies 982 members · 235 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

From what I know about it, it was basically a serpentine entity representing the primordial chaos before God created universal order and the world and all the jazz. If that's the case, then that would mean, if this thing was farting about before God apparently slew it and created the world, this being would predate Creation itself, but would have have swam in the darkness prior to existence. Its like a serpentine Cthonic Great Old One style dick.

The Judeo-Christian one

Cool. In that case rahab appears to be a symbol.

http://www.tidings.org/studies/job200412.htm

Yeah, he's often to represent the "abyss" that lurks at the bottom of the seas, or the fear of primordial chaos and or the unknown

Sounds like Cthulhu in a way, I hope Lovecraft didn't violate copyright somehow... :rainbowlaugh:

Considering Rahab is an ANCIENT being, both in texts and in the beliefs, chances are any copyrights ended centuries ago

Closer to Yog-Sothoth than Cthulhu in Lovecraftian Mythos :derpytongue2:

Unless someone has kept renewing it... :pinkiegasp:

Yeah, I wasn't thinking too deeply there... :twilightoops:

This is Jewish Medieval Folklore.

It's not in the Biblical canon like Leviathan.

From what I've gathered, the actual biblical usage of "Rahab" is used to indicate insolence and pride. It was also a poetical name for Egypt.
"Yea, Egyptians [are] vanity, and in vain do help, Therefore I have cried concerning this:`Their strength (rahaḇ) [is] to sit still." - Isaiah 30:7 (YLT)
"Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of Jehovah, Awake, as [in] days of old, generations of the ages, Art not Thou it that is hewing down Rahab (Egypt), Piercing a dragon!" - Isaiah 51:9 (YLT)

And Rahab was also the name of the prostitute who help Joshua and the Hebrews at Jericho.

Yes, that too.

To simplify the differences:

If you're running a tabletop RPG using Call of Cthulhu rulebooks, and you've chosen to use Yog-Sothoth as a plot hook (or the antagonist if you're feeling especially cruel), and use the rules strictly as written; you basically decided at the start that your players are not ment to 'win'. You're basically running a game and at the heart of it is an endurance test to see how far the players can get and how badly they can be broken down on the way there.
Players 'can' outwit (or outrun) Cthulhu. Players can be fairly expected to shut down a Cthulhu cult.
Players can't outmatch an entity that is both something beyond the abyss and at the same time the doorway to it.

I personally never cared for the idea. Feels like robbing the players of any sence of fulfillment when you deliberatly set them up to fail.:applejackunsure:

Maybe old Demonic Angel of the Abyss wanted to lend a helping hand....and be a prostitute. Don't crush this poor primordial serpent's dreams.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19