Ponies in the Real World 1,683 members · 1,105 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20

Here are some settings that I'd like to see authors use in their PoE fics:

Jack London Lake at Kolyma Russia

Yukon River, Canada

Baikonur Cosmodrone, Kazakhstan

Got any similar settings you would like to see as well?

5221172 Pripyat, Chernobyl, would be an interesting setting for a Fallout style story

5221186 Maybe.

I just like the idea of ponies exploring abandoned places on Earth, and wondering exactly what that place once was.

Well, there's one with Twilight set in Antarctica.

What about a whole village of ponies living somewhere remote in earth, and they don't know they're anywhere weird and we don't know they're there until an accidental discovery...

5221201 I hope she found a research station during her time there, or she would've had to adapt to eating a very different diet. :duck:

As for the village, that could work, but there's one problem. Once ponies cross over and see how the wild is on our planet, the first thing that comes to mind is the Everfree Forest. Though once they notice the lack of what we call mythical creatures, they'll be confused as to exactly where they are, and start exploring to find out. It wouldn't take too long to notice the first signs of humanity.

Depends on where they are, tho. Remote island, maybe? Could use a world-crossing shipwreck to put them there...

Or ponies who already live on the fringes, like the Apple kin who lived in a swamp.

5221216 Yeah, an island could work well for this scenario.

Although, I've looked up at the most remote islands, and only this one could support pony life. But it presents a problem, with humans living there as well.

Depends on how long the ponies are going to live there without making contact with humans--especially if they don't build anything too big and actively try to avoid contact (assuming the humans are monsters).

North Fox island in Lake Michigan, for example, fits the bill. It's uninhabited, and probably big enough to support a small population of ponies. They won't remain undiscovered forever; there's an airstrip on it for hunters, campers, or whatever. But it's not exactly a tourist paradise.

There are probably zillions of similar islands.

5221270 OK, that's a good choice, that could work well for a fic. :twilightsmile:

5221288 :pinkiegasp:

Anyways, do you have any thoughts on the three choices I listed in the OP?

Depends on what kind of story you want to write, I guess. The first two are both nice from a natural setting, while the third could have a very good post-apocolyptic feel to it. I don't know if that place is abandoned, but it looks like it from the picture.

I think it could be a really interesting setting for a PoE. Plus that would be a good coverart for the story. I'd probably click on it just out of curiosity.

5221305 It would a perfect place for Twilight to explore, considering how much she loves knowledge. :twilightsmile:

Doesn't the Yukon river have quite a lot of Kayak and similar traffic?

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/216402/twilights-world - starts off with Twilight in a very, very bad position in a canadian ice-storm.
One of my favourite fics, and one of the few that manages to weave events in equestria and on earth for me, without wanting somewhat to skip one half.

In many ways, pony arrives on earth and is hidden by one or more humans is way overdone these days.
I really want '1634' but with ponies.

There are really quite few actually wild places anymore.
'Wander for a day' - sure.

I like PoE/ HiE where the WTF has to be put on hold for a while.
'Ok - you're a talking pony, and I'm a deformed minotaur, now how do we avoid this avalanche/volcano/...

I'd like to see either Nevada or Hawaii used at some point. Both have beautiful locations.

It's not abandoned, that's still the main launch facility for Roscosmos.

The Masi Mara in Kenya would be cool.

5222902 Speaking of Africa, the Ngorongoro crater would be cool. Though I don't know how you would use it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20