Star Wars 1,561 members · 289 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

Ok this is something I have to know for a story where one of these Venator class Star Destroyers end up in Equestria and ends up crash landing on the surface.

Does anyone actually know what the canon weight of this Star Destroyer is?

So far I could only find that it’s carrying capacity is about 20,000 tons of weight, which doesn’t really help me figure out what the whole ship would weigh if it was fully stocked with its cargo, crew and ships in the hanger.

Got to know this so I can justify them using a crap ton of airships to lift it out of the forest and move it somewhere else they can store it and offload whatever remains on board including the Clones that didn’t survive the crash landing, otherwise they’d just leave it as a fixture in the forest and in this story’s case they can’t take the chance of someone else just strolling along and messing with it

So doing a little math I determined the weight is should be approximate 126,284,711.3728 US lbs, just the hull, give or take a couple million. Unless materials used to make them are significantly lighter, I used the best thing I could bring 4'x4'x2" steel plates.

And that is in tons? Remember all ships are weighed by ton not lbs

Here is the weight in US tons, 63142.355686399998.

Not as heavy as I would expect a star destroyer to be even considering it would still have supplies and ships aboard, but it’s a start

the Venitor-class Star Destroyer was not as big or powerful as later classes like the Imperial or the Imperial II, it is important to remember that. they were also primarily a Carrier, so that means most of the ship would be hanger space for smaller attack craft like the Z-95 Headhunter fighter, what would eventually be developed into the famous X-Wing snub fighter...

Fair enough but ultimately it will eventually become a thorn in Equestria’s side once it’s rebuilt and functioning even if they have to completely tinker with it so it runs on a different power source than hyper matter. It’ll be the big fish in a small pond scenario where it becomes to Equestria what the Death Star was to the Galaxy at first

as i recall, both Grand Admiral Thrawn and Darth Vader though the DS1 was an enormous waste of credits and resources, one of the few times those two actually agreed on something. their fears were proven to be ultimately true when, mere weeks after its unveiling at the destruction of Alderann, the damn thing blew up taking a lot of the Empire's best people with it. even the Core Worlds tended toward the thought that building the thing was a massive mistake when the Empire, inheriting the problems of the Republic after the Clone Wars, was still very largely broke.

just manning the ship with Ponies will cost Equestia a massive amount of bits, and the ship would continue to be a massive money sink in operating costs. a Venitor-class is not cheap to run, let alone maintain...and thats not counting the cost of getting a crashed, probably damaged, boat back into flight worthy status. its the same problem as putting a modern day Aircraft Carrier into the operational theater for, say, WWII. while it might seem like a great and over powered idea, the reality is the infrastructure and support network for all the fancy toys is not there and they quickly stop working on top of that for lack of maintenance...

Well there had to be some other use for it after it crash landed onto the planet. Besides giving them ideas for blaster weapons as opposed to slug throwers and such. Plus least in this story Equestria has become the mecca of improved technologies so it wouldn’t be totally out of the realm of possibility they’d manage to least patch it up enough that it could be operationally ready. Like o said the tricks would be installing a new power source for it.

Otherwise the damn thing would just be one massive doorstop for the last few decades since its arrival

i just dont see the Equestrian economy, even a more technologically stable one, having the bits to put into that massive a money sink, and make no mistake, just the metallurgic analysis alone would be costing a small fortune and take years to complete. i just dont see the Ponies getting that boat back into service, not one their own, not without help from someone who actually knows what they are doing...and a massive amount of Bits to PAY for it all...we would be talking like three or four Elder Dragon hoards just to get started...

Well I never said it was on their own. Small faction have help from the treasure of dragons they have no doubt stolen during the Great War and assistance from a Sith lord in the shadows

This goes into pretty alternate universe mode. The nation of Equestria is more technologically sound except militarily. Though to be fair not many other nations are yet out of the parade style military formations either. It takes quite a while once the blasters come into the picture, assuming also I can find a way for their enemies to have them reproduced first. Might have slugthrowers in there too, they’ll be called something else but the idea is the same it’s a regular firearm

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12