LessWrong 316 members · 64 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/64/Harry-Potter-and-the-Methods-of-Rationality There is one omake about a third of the way through the chapter; it's called: MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS SCIENCE.

book_burner
Group Contributor

I read it when it came out, but dear Lord, EY is really butthurt about journal rejections, isn't he?

Twilight Sparkle stared at the horror that had once been Nightmare Moon, racking her brains with frantic desperation and realizing that it was over, they were doomed, it was hopeless without Marie-Susan; everyone knew that no matter how honest, investigating, skeptical, creative, analytic, or curious you were, what really made your work Science was when you published your results in a prestigious journal. Everyone knew that...

Laying the sarcasm on a bit thick, eh?

I read it when it came out, but dear Lord, EY is really butthurt about journal rejections, isn't he?

And then you quoted the entire last paragraph, of the omake I linked in this thread, bolding the 2nd half, of the second to last sentence, as if it were reasonable proof that the author of the fictional work, is "butthurt" about journal rejections.

Laying the sarcasm on a bit thick, eh?

I believe that's called a punchline.
Of all the answers you could have arrived at, how many did you sort (I'm uncertain that sort would be a proper word in your case) through before deciding on just that particular thought? You based that line of reasoning on virtually nothing, only listing a quote you've taken way out of context.

The pony portion is surrounded by omakes that would fill most people with mirth. Even if you look at the author's profile, as well as through all his links, I don't see how you'd find any reasonable evidence to suggest he's personally linked to scientific journal rejection. It's obvious that the author supports (or at the very least employs) scientific thought process in his writing style, due to its prevalence in his large (and only) submitted fic. If you made a joke, it wasn't even mildly entertaining to me.

Bad Horse
Group Admin

1331952 I think EY would probably have the same attitude whether or not he'd been rejected by journals. I don't know if he's ever submitted anything to a journal.

book_burner
Group Contributor

Wait... really? What the hell?

1330640 Haha, yeah, I remember that. The other omakes were really funny, too, especially the omakes in chapter 12 (if I recall correctly) :twilightsmile:
1332265 He also has another fanfic listed on hpmor.com, Friendship is Optimal, which I really would recommend reading. Probably one of the most realistic stories on this site, and pretty funny, too, at times.

Just to clarify, EY didn't write that story or invent the Optimalverse, just promoted it (and one of the fan sequels, entitled Caelum est Conterrens) in one of his author blogs - but it's a great story and setting, and I recommend it.

1453658 I know. I first saw it on this page, disregarded it, saw it later on his page again,and went back to read it. I don't remember that sequel being listed there, though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8