Celestia & Luna 2,705 members · 4,439 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

What was life for the Royal Sisters like before they became the rulers of Equestria? Even the Journal of the Two Sisters doesn't seem to mention anything about it. As a matter of fact, the book starts only when they were being coronated and mentions almost nothing before that. Also, it says nothing about who their parents were let alone who was actually raising them. In reality, we don't know much about how everything began for them. Knowing this franchise, backstories were usually never a thing for some reason. More importantly, seeing that we don't know much about what they were before they become the said rulers, it does make me want to question on if they were really born as alicorns or if they possibly become such later on. The reason I say this is because there is a lot of loose interpretation on that, which now makes it feel more of a suggestion on what they were born as rather than an implication. Part of the reason I question that is for two main reasons. The first one is when Luna mentions about how alicorns were never born before in Equestrian history, while the other one is when the book itself was even questioned into being canon to the series itself when an episode said a different origin for the Tree of Harmony. Then again, some shows do have a history having any type of media outside of it not being canon altogether. Perhaps, any of you can figure out what their early life was really about since neither the show, nor the book seem to bring that up making it feel as if it's an unsolved mystery.

Feynna #2 · Apr 4th, 2022 · · 1 ·

The first one is when Luna mentions about how alicorns were never born before in Equestrian history

It says it right there. Equestrian history, implying after the events of the founding.

while the other one is when the book itself was even questioned into being canon to the series itself when an episode said a different origin for the Tree of Harmony.

Retcons. They exist.

Even if we put what they were born as aside, there is still no mention of what they did before they become the rulers of Equestria. BTW, I did find a pdf that gave me all the pages to that book that I did spend some time reading it, and nowhere does it talk about what they did before they were coronated. That makes me want to know what exactly where they before being known as the Royal Sisters, which could mean that they may not have even been born to royalty either. Overall, it feels as if little to nothing was known about them before becoming the rulers of Equestria or even how they were really born or raised when they were growing up. More importantly, we don't even know who their actual parents were since they were never brought up in either the show or in that book. Then again, it does make me want to know why it was them who were chosen to rule what became Equestria and not anyone else who might have been more qualified than they were at the time. However, I still feel that they claim that they were born as alicorns sounds more of a suggestion rather than an implication, because I remember watching that video on Youtube done by Sawtooth Waves where even he wasn't too keen about it.

or even how they were really born or raised when they were growing up

I might remember this wrong, but from what I know of the Journal of the Two Sisters, they were practically raised and expected to become the next rulers/princesses. The exact specifics elude me right now, so I'll look into it when I get back home from work. Should be in the first couple of pages, at any rate. *shrug*

Okay, just read through the first pages of the book again. I remembered it almost right, the whole being raised to be princesses is not quite the case but "The Alicorns" basically thought it a good idea to teach Celestia and Luna the Royal Canterlot Voice as an "important" part of their education as they were fillies. Seeing that Starswirl "and his band of merry ponies" approached them after the founding of Equestria to have impartial rulers for the three pony tribes, it's fairly safe to assume they were always alicorns. There are also some sentences about them playing in the hills of Canterlot pretending to be princesses and talking in the Royal We and the Royal Canterlot Voice. They also apparently made tiaras out of gems they found in the hills of Canterlot, pretending to rule over squirrels, rabbits, and a turtle Celestia mentions is named Jim. There's no mention whatsoever about where "The Alicorns" went or what happened to them, so... yeah. Celestia and Luna were (most likely) alicorns since birth.

Unfortunately, the Journal of the Two Sisters hardly states anything about their early life. Much of it was found to be either vague or contain a lot of loose interpretation. In other words, some of what was mentioned could have taken either way. Also, it wasn't clear when exactly Star Swirl was going to make them the rulers as it could have been when they were finally becoming adults or still as fillies or foals. Pretending to be princesses when they were fillies doesn't mean that it was going to be them at the time either. More importantly, there is no mention if the alicorns that raised them were real or just some spirits or mythical creatures that existed mostly in their minds to help guide them. Another thing is that it was never stated who their actual family really was as neither the book nor the show ever mentions this. Even if those other alicorns that raised them did exist, there is also the possibility that they could have just taken them when they were fillies after being abandoned by their real parents and made them alicorns later. In other words, saying that they were most likely born as alicorns could still rule that out. To me, only Flurry Heart was born as in alicorn since it was actually shown in the series, while we already know that Twilight was originally a unicorn from the first two seasons, and that Cadance was a pegasus that was established in another book, though her parents aren't mentioned either. Seeing that the book may not be canon, it's hard to tell if this is really their story, but knowing the history of this franchise, it's very unlikely to get a real backstory when it comes to the show itself, and this is the case in just about every generation. Then again, it was never established on whether Celestia and Luna really were the original alicorns or not, which is where much of the disputes amongst bronies comes from as well as how they were born and if they were really immortal. This is why there should be backstories in the show, so that we can really know about the characters and why they end up being there to start with.

Unfortunately, the Journal of the Two Sisters hardly states anything about their early life

They literally talk about their childhood in the first pages and how the Alicorns taught them the Royal Canterlot Voice and whatnot.

Also, it wasn't clear when exactly Star Swirl was going to make them the rulers as it could have been when they were finally becoming adults or still as fillies or foals.

It was plenty clear to me seeing how they talk about not having Cutie Marks as adults and how they thought ponies might look differently at them because of that since alicorns age differently to normal ponies.

Even if those other alicorns that raised them did exist, there is also the possibility that they could have just taken them when they were fillies after being abandoned by their real parents and made them alicorns later

I don't know, I definitely got the impression that the thought of being with earthponies, pegasi, and unicorns and ruling over them was a novelty for them.

Seeing that the book may not be canon, it's hard to tell if this is really their story

Twilight literally read their book in the show leading up to the events with Tirek. It's not uncommon to see companies retcon stuff (for example, the origin of the Tree of Harmony) because it would be more convenient to them instead of working around a backstory that doesn't quite lend itself for the continued progress of the story. *shrug*

They literally talk about their childhood in the first pages and how the Alicorns taught them the Royal Canterlot Voice and whatnot.

Pretty much, I'm supposed to believe all of that from just that one paragraph. However, it would have been nice if they gave at least a page on that to know more about them and their family, because that doesn't seem to be the case. Besides that, they don't say too much about their early life, because it would be nice to know what they did before they became the new rulers.

It was plenty clear to me seeing how they talk about not having Cutie Marks as adults and how they thought ponies might look differently at them because of that since alicorns age differently to normal ponies.

I was referring to when exactly did Star Swirl want to have them become the new rulers, not what their background was or how they were chosen.

I don't know, I definitely got the impression that the thought of being with earthponies, pegasi, and unicorns and ruling over them was a novelty for them.

Now you're telling that I could be right about the alicorns that have claimed to raise them might have been nothing more than spiritual guides that may have only existed in their minds.

Twilight literally read their book in the show leading up to the events with Tirek. It's not uncommon to see companies retcon stuff (for example, the origin of the Tree of Harmony) because it would be more convenient to them instead of working around a backstory that doesn't quite lend itself for the continued progress of the story. *shrug*

First of all, that book Twilight was reading in the first episode was titled "The Tale of the Two Sisters", and it didn't even state their names in it. As a matter of fact, she didn't even know about Luna let alone the fact that she was Nightmare Moon until Celestia came to her and the rest of Mane 6 and mentioned her name. Also, Luna looked for a moment as if she was killed but was just knocked out, though I could never understand she wound up as a foal after being changed back when in the next season she is a full grown adult again with almost no explanation to that. Even with that book, we still don't know who their real parents were assuming that they had any or if we're supposed to believe that they were born a different way unlike all the rest of the ponies. Overall, it sort of makes me feel as if the Jornal of the Two Sisters is a fanfic in itself.

However, it would have been nice if they gave at least a page on that to know more about them and their family, because that doesn't seem to be the case.

There's only so much you can stuff into a children's book about a journal of fictional ponies talking about their experiences of becoming the rulers of a newly established nation.

I was referring to when exactly did Star Swirl want to have them become the new rulers

And I did give you the answer. They were approached after the founding of Equestria to become the next rulers and they talk about their fears of not being accepted or whatever because they still haven't their Cutie Makrs as adults because alicorns are different from the other tribes.

Now you're telling that I could be right about the alicorns that have claimed to raise them might have been nothing more than spiritual guides that may have only existed in their minds.

That's blatantly assuming they wouldn't ever notice that. All I can tell you is what they mentioned about them and that's it. Everything else is up to your own head canon, as are so many other things in this fandom because... you know... My Little Pony isn't high fantasy, as much as you'd like it to be. :ajbemused:

First of all, that book Twilight was reading in the first episode was titled "The Tale of the Two Sisters"

Not the book I was talking about. Go rewatch season four and then tell me the Journal of the Two Sisters doesn't appear in the show and gets referenced.

Still, it would be nice to know who their actual parents were. Unless they were born in special way unlike the regular ponies, they had to be born in some way or form. Unfortunately, neither of those two are ever brought up be it the book or the show. Also, with so little on what they did before becoming rulers, we'll never what they did then. My theory is that their biological parents might have died when they were still fillies that made them wander around looking for a new group of ponies to raise them. However, that could mean that they may not have been originally alicorns but made into them later on. This would be similar to Maui in the movie Moana where he wasn't originally a god but was made into one after being saved from drowning by the spirits in which the same can be implied for Celestia and Luna in making them alicorns if they weren't already ones by having them believe in unity amongst the three tribes of ponies. Again, this is just a theory that I made, so we don't know what really did happen to them when they were growing up. Although this is probably a stretch, some are saying that Majesty might have been their mother, though this is probably false since the generations aren't exactly related, plus Majesty herself never appeared in any part of the G1 series when she was only limited to the comics of that same generation when they were made in the UK. Interestingly, there is a panel where Majesty is shown as an alicorn, but this was actually an animation error when she is really a unicorn, and the wings appeared by mistake.

Does it even really matter who their parents were? All you can do is make up stuff since it is highly unlikely they will ever give you an answer. And everything you make up would be fanon at best and we all know that's what it will ever be. Unless you become a show writer for My Little Pony, canon will stay vague at best about their origin (even though the journal does give plenty of hints, in my opinion).

This is why I feel that he weakness of this franchise is that characters aren't given much of a backstory, and this goes all the way back to G1 as if this this wasn't something new. Seeing with what so little we get from either the show or the book, it seems as if knowing the real family and the full history of the Royal Sisters will remain an unsolved mystery. Seeing that they have lived for over a millennium, I guess it would just be too much to give a backstory for them. Then again, Star Swirl despite not being an alicorn is even older than they are, yet he managed to live that long, but that's probably because he was pretty much preserved being stuck in limbo otherwise, he would have been long dead. Also, Sombra is just as old and isn't an alicorn either, but he managed to live as long as they did as well, though that's probably because he is a shadow pony that pretty much can't be killed but at least contained from what I heard. Since you mentioned about how some just make it up, that's probably where a fanfic that I made a while back known as Royal Origins that gives my take on what their early life might have been like when they tell it to both Twilight and Megan when they were invited to have tea with them and start the flashback. BTW, in that fanfic, they don't even start out as alicorns, but rather as unicorns instead. On a side note, there are those who actually do believe that Majesty was their mother even though that probably isn't true by a long shot especially since the generations aren't related to start with yet there are those who claim otherwise.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12