Changelings Need Love Too 2,334 members · 1,542 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

I'm trying to work through something, and one of the sticking points is catching at me. What reason might there be for a pony to agree to and sign a job contract that explicitly specifies that mind-altering magic might be used on them?

I have a changeling who is masquerading (sort of*) as a minor member of the Canterlot nobility, and I'm trying to think my way through the 'house servants' issue - even with Equestria's apparently relatively even social structure, Canterlot itself still appears to be in the middle of a full-on social skew, so nobles with servants are likely. A few of her highest-ranking servants might be fellow changelings, but what about the others it would take to keep even a Townhouse running properly? How could they be kept from catching on? They won't necessarily be in her presence all the time, but rumors flow, and luck is fickle. Any slip could be dangerous. And just trying to cover the issue will invite suspicion from others at the changes in the one who is brainwashed/replaced - he or she won't be acting right.

The only thing I could come up with was a stipulation, in the hiring process, that her Ladyship has certain things that it is improper for commoners to know, and an explicit requirement that anyone who hires on with her household submit to mind-altering magic, whether to erase their memories, to explicitly prevent them from speaking to others, or even to be made to think 'no, this is normal, really' about it. That way, any incorrect behavior issues are covered with a knowing nod and 'don't be like him/her' warning. But I can't see any reason why somepony might sign on for the job, knowing that.

Any suggestions?

*The actual masquerade began a few generations back. 'Lady Elegant Blossom' really was raised as a member of pony nobility, but always with the constant instruction from her family that the ponies must never know the truth.

Hmmm a blunt way to say its to stop secrets from being spread and a good pay may convince those more desperate

The contract could stipulate that the magic in question would be for the purpose of research. Whether it be into psychology, sociology or whatever. Could work if you play it up as the Lady in question being an eccentric scholar of sorts.

Alternatively, the magic could be insinuated to be an experimental treatment for certain psychological issues. Like, ponies suffering from PTSD could have the memories of their trauma erased, or those with dismorphia or something could be conditioned to feel better in their own skin, compulsions could be removed, etc.. Heck, I bet the Lady in question could get volunteers if she did it through a hospital or something. It would give things a pretty exploitative and predatory theme, but it kinda sounds like that's what you're going for.

Why not only hire other changelings?

I think, well one... Actors. That way reactions can be genuine in the films.

2. If you're going for servants, maybe have it be, sort of a reform program. Get their mind altered to be the best bulter/maid around

3. Therapy. Bascially a therapist after listening to a patient, and uses a prescription magic, with consent can later a ponies mind.

4. Coach, imagine, if a unicorn coach turned his clients into ponies dedicated to that one goal. Easy way to drop 20 pounds.

I think, well one... Actors. That way reactions can be genuine in the films.

2. If you're going for servants, maybe have it be, sort of a reform program. Get their mind altered to be the best bulter/maid around

3. Therapy. Bascially a therapist after listening to a patient, and uses a prescription magic, with consent can later a ponies mind.

4. Coach, imagine, if a unicorn coach turned his clients into ponies dedicated to that one goal. Easy way to drop 20 pounds.

Eh, I dont know. Mind altering magic might be important for work in high secrecy fields, like spies and government agents with high ranking access to classified intelligence. But I feel like it's a bit unrealistic to expect a waged slave housekeeper to willingly submit to that. Sure you could claim the pay was high enough to offset it, but then a shitty domestic job with abnormally high pay would probably raise red flags for anyone inquiring about the job in the first place. You could say that nobody ever reads the contract, but then that would be like forcing somepony to get brain bleached... and that takes the story to a whole nother dark direction.

Also, it's important to remember that rich people with servants, had had servants for generations, and were totally aware that 'servants have ears' and how to not say anything too terribly secret around them. Plus, to a certain degree, servants were expected to keep some basic secrets, and not to talk about shit they'd heard. Especially because they would very likely be fired for blabbing, and then they would have a very hard time gaining new employment without references from their previous employer.

So what I'm trying to say is, I think you're overthinking it.

Perhaps only hire those who have the most to gain from employment, beggars, junkies, and homeless. Cushy enough rewards and they'd most likely chomp at the bit for such an opportunity even at the cost of some freewill. Going from nothing to something may just inspire some loyalty into them and perhaps keep a blind eye from an employers unsavory pastimes with no real need for mindcontrol.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8