Game Crossovers 5,472 members · 4,412 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

I noticed some of those things in Roundabout Storm (the video series on YouTube). He tampers with the evidence on the scene and withholds information constantly, but does it all in the name of Justice. Hey, as long as you say the "J" word, you're good to go.

Gotta say, I'm kinda disappointed with Mat Pat on this one. Who ever claimed the court system in Phoenix Wright was ever based on a real existing legal system? They've never claimed it and they've almost always deviated from it in universe. And on top of that, just because it says evidence was added to the court record doesn't mean he actually took anything. The proof on that one was the very case Mat was talking about, case 2 from the first game. He never pocketed the receipt with Maya's name on it; he noted that it existed and nothing more. Gumshoe, the investigator, even finds it himself at the scene which led to him taking Maya in as the prime suspect and Phoenix defending her in court. The comparison is far from a 'theory' and more akin to an extreme misunderstanding of the game itself. :facehoof:

5350813 Mat Pat doesn't seem to understand the game series, because he only played the first one. Edgeworth's actions as a prosecutor are far tamer in comparison to what Fransiska and Godot get away with (though Godot's motive is eventually explained). In addition, the Phoenix Wright series, according to what I've read, is based on the Japanese judical system. That system doesn't involve a trial by jury like it does here in the states, and there's no higher court you can appeal to if you think your case was mishandled.

Who ever claimed the court system in Phoenix Wright was ever based on a real existing legal system?

Um, what? The creators stated it was a satire of the Japanese legal system.

5350813 So basically, this is just 15 minutes of Matpat:
-Not understanding Phoenix Wright or Japanese law
-Disrespecting some of the best characters in the series ("Hottie McLegal"?! Seriously? Go fuck yourself, Pat.)
-Outright ignoring entire sequences and even a full case that tackles his arguments
-Relying on the word of solely the American localizer, instead of the original creator or noting that it changes the location in nearly every language port
-Generally wastes time
Yep, that was worth 15 minutes of my life. :/

5351365 The localizing mistake happened in the first game, when they said it was based in California. To try and rectify how this clashed with the more Japanse settings of the next two games, they established Kurran Village.

5351171 It's true that it was based on it but there are differences. Treating it as one and the same, as Mat did, would be a mistake.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11