Vamponies (and other supernatural creatures) 2,765 members · 1,115 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

This is kind o an idea I have for a story, not sure how I'm going to do it just yet, so I figured I would ask about it. Get some discussion going.

The idea is that sometime ago these massive flying octopus like creatures appeared in Equestria causing havoc an destruction. In response to this, Starswirl the Bearded (or maybe someone, feel free to offer suggestions) used magic to trap the krakens in a dimension just outside the one Equestria exists in.

Perhaps a certain magic user accidentally (or intentionally) cast a spell (or performed a ritual) from a book that was left behind, thus pulling the krakens back into Equestria.

What do you think? Any thoughts or suggestions?

It's a really cool idea! My personal opinion, it should be that somepony thought the spell was something else, and brought them back into equestria. And starswirl along with that trouble maker, have to fix it. But the spell is long forgotten. And they have to make it up as they go

Make it a little more Lovecraftian I guess. Krakens by themselves are only threatening, not inspiring doom. It would be like a dragon, but weak to a dragon. There would be an easy resolution of conflict. It should be easier than sealing off many beings in different realms, so something about them needs to make it literally impossible to do it any other way, hence Lovecraftian. Only way it could stop a dragon is if the dragons let them grow large enough so their beaks can actually kill a dragon solo or against a school of them. Like, their soft bodies means fire or electricity or acid or even shooting rocks or poisoned arrows etc can all defeat them rather simply. Sealing them all off would be of cosmic proportions. Hence Lovecraftian. They need to spill madness just from looking upon them corrupt the minds of those around them, turn insane. The plants need to wither and die in their presence. Spontaneous generation of other lesser just as enigmatic lifeforms need to arise from their corruptions on this plane of existence. And when they break through, it would be near hopeless. Also, condemning a whole alternate dimension? Gee thanks for ditching your problems off onto others. It'd be nice if that has a consequence, Like some survivor finds out they were originally of their dimension and wants vengeance or Starswirl or the ponies to atone.

Why does it have to be flesh. A mechanical golem.

6075494 I have to apologize. What I meant to say was that Starswirl had sealed away the krakens long ago and that the story took place in the modern mlp television setting.

6075660 Well, Krakens are basically giant octopi, so perhaps their ink could have some sort of defensive/offensive ability. Perhaps instead of it spewing ink these flying kraken release their ink in a gaseous form. One thought I had was that perhaps the ink cloud could nullify magic, while serving as a means for the kraken to hide. Then how were they sealed away with magic? one might ask. Perhaps the ink doesn't gain its anti-magic properties until it comes in contact with oxygen. As a result so long as the kraken is outside of the ink cloud it could be sealed away.

Or perhaps the cloud is toxic, making it difficult for dragons to chase after the kraken. Perhaps if given enough time, a kraken can grow large enough to take on dragon kings.

It should be noted that most octopi have the ability to camoflage with their surroundings, perhaps these flying krakens have the ability to blend in with the clouds.

6075761 I'm confused. What are you referring to?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5