G1 Ponies: Credit Where It's Due 379 members · 404 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21
TalB #1 · March 1st · · ·

After watching the video from TYT known as Misty-rious Room, I noticed a stained-glass window there that showed the battle with Tirac only to have Megan omitted from it as if she didn't exist. Being a G1 fan, this felt like a kick in the teeth. This just proves that rumors are true, and that Megan is supposed to be a dead character and never exist again. Seeing this is only more of a reason why a character such as her is overdue for a comeback even if it has to involve a reboot. Another possibly true rumor of why only G1 had human companions was mainly to get everyone used to this franchise when it was something new only to ditch them once it ended. Then again, we G1 fans are always getting the short end of the stick here. Perhaps after hearing all of this is the reason to why I felt that it was a missed opportunity not to adapt such a character in later generations or even why until there is an official day to all MLP fan sites that 4/14 will be known as Megan Williams Day since that was the day the very character debuted. More importantly, I wonder how many knew that Megan is in my avatar right now standing right behind the Mane 6 and Spike in a relationship that never was. Unfortunately, to those who never saw G1, Megan and probably even Danny and Molly in that matter could just be OCs to them.

Franchise holders have never considered anything sacred to the IPs they own.

In other words, I was right about Megan being tossed in the memory hole in knowing that there is no future for her after G1 ended.

Honestly prefer her cowgirl outfit.

TalB #5 · March 3rd · · ·

I could never understand either why they didn't let her keep her cowgirl outfit. To me, it felt better when it came to adventures than that romper suit that she wound up wearing after the original MLP Movie. Also, that outfit feels very dated for its time considering that this show was made in in the late 1980s when most girls her age in America were probably not wearing that anymore. It was one thing to have it as a doll outfit, but I think it was a bad idea for her to have it in the show itself, plus I can't seem to understand why her cowgirl outfit wasn't one of them. My guess is that Hasbro wanted to make Megan look more girly and her original outfit just didn't say that. If they had to give her overalls, then I don't see why not one that looked more realistic and for its time like this one I found on Deviantart.

Marketing is all powerful. Must have been trying to copy Rainbow Brite?

TalB #7 · March 3rd · · ·

Unfortunately, the closest we will ever have to seeing the doll wearing the cowgirl outfit will be with this custom-made outfit that I found on Deviantart as well, and as a bonus, this doll seems to fit on G4 toys such as Twilight and Celestia, though it does seem to make Sundance feel jealous seeing her on those alicorns.

I know I'm pretty late to saying this, but it just came to me right now. Seeing that stained-glass window that was a reference to Rescue at Midnight Castle with Megan omitted from it reminds me of a fanfic that I did know as "Destiny or Coincidence?" that I did a while back. Seeing it as a revisionist history is sort of like when Celestia was telling Megan a story similar to what Twilight told the foals at the library until Flurry Heart interrupted it, but then Megan tells her that Scorpan was really a prince that got turned into a gargoyle by Tirac while claiming that she knew about Gusty and never saw anything great about her. After that, Celestia mentions that she was sorry for hiding what really happened and even claimed that Equestria need to have some sort of history even if it had to be revised, but then agreed to go with what really happened since then.

Then again, we G1 fans are always getting the short end of the stick here.

I don't think it's accurate to say we get anything as G1 fans, short or otherwise. As soon as there was a G2, we never got anything for G1 ever again. That's just how generations work. G1 still exists and we can still write fanfiction for it if we want to, which is all we ever had. Megan's purpose was to give the kiddos someone to relate to. When it turned out that kids can relate to ponies just fine, there was no need to have humans anymore. Calling it revisionist history ascribes more intent than I think is justified. They're not trying to erase Megan from our memories; they simply didn't want her, so they didn't use her.

In other words, I was right to say that the only reason for why Megan was there in the first place was just to get everyone used to the franchise and then dump her once it was over making my claim accurate. What I can't seem to understand is why some are on the fence about bringing back human companions to MLP. If it can work before, then I don't see why it can't work again. In all honesty, I would have preferred that G4 just have rebooted versions of the Williams siblings rather than do Equestria Girls. Seriously, did we really need another high school show when there are so many already? Also, it's not called My Little Humans either, so if you wanted to put something human-like, then bring back human companions and let the ponies stay ponies rather than humanize thing. Better yet just leave the humanizations to the fans, because I found some of that to look better than what we got with Equestria Girls. Getting to the truth of the matter, I feel that characters such as Megan do need a return especially if it feels as if she is starting to become forgotten, which is why I use that screencap of her being surrounded by the fire in knowing that she is left there and nobody will rescue her just like that cat on the branch from that hang in there poster. More importantly, those that don't know about G1 let alone never saw it will probably never even know that there was a generation that had human companions while others might think that Megan, Danny, and Molly might be OCs for not knowing about that said generation either. Then again, it's not like websites such as Equestria Daily will ever do a sound off on if there should be a return for them or if human companions should be brought back. Now I know why I made those recent fanfics, because it was to give the idea of what it would have been like if it did happen hence a missed opportunity.

I'm not on the fence about humans. I think MLP is better without them. I don't expect you to agree, and I don't think you're wrong for liking Megan, but that's how I feel about it. Wind Whistler and Megan had a special friendship that I would have liked to see more developed, but the majority of the ponies felt more like her pets or pokemon or something. They had names, and gimmicks, and that was about all they had. The ponies rarely had significant connections to each other because they were dependent on Megan.

In FiM, the ponies had to solve their own problems, make their own decisions, and speak on their own behalf. Someone has to take that role in any story, and in a story about ponies, I want to see the ponies in the important roles.

If the show has a human, the human needs something to do, and that will inevitably take away from what the ponies get to do.

TL;DR:
G1 is about a girl that discovered talking ponies
G4 is about talking ponies

You can prefer either, but the change makes practical sense, and I wouldn't expect them to ever go back.

Being someone who did watch G1 especially MLP 'n Friends, the ponies weren't always dependent on Megan. They never saw her as nothing more than a special friend to them, and they were able to do things on their own. Also, Megan didn't always come as the one who has to save the day as many of the episodes have shown that, plus there were a handful of episodes that she doesn't even appear in, which is why I consider her more of a major character rather than a main character. Even in my fanfic known as "The Last Gala", Megan mentions to Twilight that she never remembered the G1 ponies calling her a leader of any sort, which is reflected there. Having her in a later generation like G4 wouldn't mean making the ponies dependent on her, because that won't be the case especially when it happens to be a rebooted version rather than the one, we originally knew. The way I picture it, if Hasbro really did make it happen, it will most likely be a rebooted version as they would have never made MLP:FiM an extension of MLP 'n Friends and even her siblings would be rebooted as well. One thing is that placing her in that show, she can do slice of life episodes that were hardly the case for the original character. In other words, not every appearance would have to involve fighting a villain. At first, Megan would be a recurring character, but would become more major later on. For some reason I will look back at my fanfic known as Unexpected Arrival as the introduction that never was and why I even nickname it as the lost introduction, and the same goes for Danny and Molly Join In as well where even they aren't the same as they were unlike their original introduction. The way I would see it as that Megan would be more of an ally to the Mane 6, but not a member of the group itself. Had she appeared in the show, here is what she would represent in the extended version of the Guardians of Harmony.

Spike is "acceptance"? Wow, that's harsh.

Okay, serious answer. I have seen all of G1 at least twice, and Ghost of Paradise Estate 100 times (thank you, nieces). Megan didn't appear in every episode, but she did appear in more episodes than any one pony. When she was absent, the ponies did think for themselves, but when she was present, they didn't (except WW, and Masquerade that one time). It kind of proves my point all the more. Even within the one show, you can see the suppressing effect Megan has on pony independence. And I don't mean to say she dominated them or anything extreme like that. She was merely the adult in any room, and the ponies were only too happy to leave the tough calls up to her.

What happens in your fanfic is well and good, but doesn't apply to canon, and certainly can't influence Hasbro. As I said originally, we can write G1 fanfiction however we please, but the show owes us nothing. If you have a use for Megan in G4, by all means use her. That sounds fun. But Hasbro won't, nor would it benefit them if they did.

I'm surprised you didn't say anything about Megan being hope or Sunset being empathy.

From my understanding, I never saw Megan as being selfish. She understood where her limitations were. In other words, you would never hear her say this, "I'm the bearer of the Rainbow of Light and the savior of Ponyland, so I can do anything." There were even a number of battles where she wasn't even the one to save the day. Perhaps, it's me who could picture her in G4 even with Danny and Molly without changing much of the nature of the ponies. Had I been on the writing team, it probably would have happened, and that fanfic known as Unexpected Arrival would have been that introduction, though it would probably have some changes. Nonetheless, I will always see it as a missed opportunity even if others didn't. The least they could have done was give her a real appearance in that crossover comic, and I even bought each copy actually thinking it was going to happen only to be duped once again. As for fandom, there is actually a lot of fanart that actually shows Megan and even her siblings with G4 characters despite not being on the show themselves along with so many of her being with Twilight let alone several of them having her hug and pet that said pony. Sometimes when I do look at the fanart that shows her with them or even read such fanfics, it makes me think why it just didn't actually happen. The same goes with all the references and easter eggs that are about her when a real appearance could have been given instead. More importantly, had not been for nostalgic bronies such as me making those said fandom, she would have been a dead character that was supposed to go down with the ship the moment G1 ended.

I never saw Megan as being selfish

Certainly not. On the contrary, she was a hero, and that's the problem. When Megan saw a problem, she went straight there and fixed it. The ponies were naturally conflict-averse, and they were happiest when someone else was taking initiative. How many times have you heard, "Fizzy, make some bubbles" or "Can you get me up there, North Star?" Megan's self-confidence made her the leader no matter how polite she was. It was a similar dynamic to Twilight and Mayor Mare in G4. Mayor Mare theoretically has authority, but Twilight radiates competence that everyone - including the mayor herself - has more faith in.

So the problem with Megan was that Megan was great. She outshone and overshadowed her supposed costars.

Now, admittedly, G4 has much stronger characterization, and the Mane 6 probably would have been able to hold their own better. However, season 8 and 9 show that even G4 struggled with giving airtime to too many different creatures. Adding Megan would have just made everything more difficult to balance, with no real advantage other than nostalgia.

What's to say? Megan "let's sing to forget we're thirsty" Williams and Sunset "literally reads your mind" Shimmer. Hope and Empathy fit, or would, if there were extra elements. :rainbowwild:

There were times I actually thought that it was going to happen. However, many of them were just rumors and nothing more. It's just that when it mentioned humans in Equestria and showed a fanart of Megan grooming Applejack, I thought that it did mean a return. My guess is that it was probably more of an Equestria Girls promo instead only making it feel too good to be true. Whatever it really meant, I was misled.

Ah, I remember when everyone thought Twilight becoming an alicorn was a sign of the apocalypse, and nothing could ever be worse than that.

Those were simpler times.

(Wow, knowing what we know now, this leaker sounds like a crazy person)

My point is that it did originally give me the impression that it was going to happen, and I would have been very happy if it did, but I got duped instead.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21