Pokémon Fics 1,672 members · 899 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Figured y'all might be interested in this story.

So, being the Pokemon fan I am, I of course have dabbled in Nuzlockes. And given I had downloaded one of the OGs on my 3DS, I wanted to try my luck at it. This was quite a few years back, so I don't remember most of the stuff that happened, but I do remember the key moments around the end.

Now, for those of you that haven't played the original Gen 1 games, they were pretty broken. Like, very broken. A lot of stuff was going on in those games: Psychic-Types had no weaknesses, Special Attack/Defense was one stat, Speed dictated critical hit chances, Type attacks were strictly either physical or Special (which they didn't fix until Gen 4), etc. Now, I had done and beaten two Nuzlockes previously; specifically in Omega Ruby and Ultra Sun (though I did cheat at one point in later), but this was a whole different situation. Thankfully, I was well-aware of Gen 1's unique mechanics and I did quite well. Throughout the game, I was able to go along without too much trouble; I do recall losing a Snorlax to either Horn Drill or Sheer Cold, which I was quite salty about.

Then I faced Giovanni for the final Gym Badge.

To set the scene, I went into the battle with Blastoise, Charizard, Dugtrio, Jolteon, and two others. My plan was simple: sweep with Blastoise. I had beaten Blaine that way, and had swept Giovanni with Blastoise in previous playthroughs. Nothing to it, right? Well, as you may know, Giovanni leads with a Dugtrio. A Dugtrio that knows Fissure. No big deal, right? That move never hits, right? I had already lost a Pokemon to a OHKO move, there was no chance it would happen again, right?!

So, Fissure killed Blastoise and all my plans went out the window. Maybe I should've had a backup plan, but I was I supposed to know that Fissure would hit and ruin everything? Jolteon was weak to Ground and Dugtrio was underleveled; so, Charizard had to do the heavy lifting. and he did... until Giovanni's final Pokemon: Rhydon. My other two Pokemon were dead and Charizard too was killed by Rock Slide. At this point, I was 100% sure my run was over, but I continued to fight. I sent out Dugtrio and hit Rhydon with Dig, and it actually got Rhydon down to about a third of his health. It was crucial, but Dugtrio was taken out that same turn.

It was all down to Jolt. The only move we had that would do anything was Double Kick and all Rhydon had to do was Earthquake and my run was over. We hit it, and Rhydon was in the red, but still kicking. Then Giovanni did the stupidest thing he could have done and gave Rhydon a Guard Specs. Gen 1's awful AI had miraculously come through for me and one more Double Kick was just enough to win the battle.

Been the skin of my teeth, my Nuzlocke was free to continue, but had no team left. The only Pokemon I were a high enough level to get me through the final stretch of the game were Jolt and Articuno. And turns out... they were all I needed. We charged through Victory Road and I went on to defeat beat the Elite Four and become Champion using only Jolt the Jolteon and WInter the Articuno (well, okay, technically I did have two other Pokemon in my party, but they were useless and just there in case I need a safe switchout, which I didn't. So, it was just the two).

And so my Yellow Nuzlocke was won, all thanks to Jolteon. Much love to Best Eeveelution.

I’d love to see you do a Pokemon randomizer blog

Maybe if I find a good Randomizer, I might.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4