Followers of Discord 3,184 members · 2,752 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

I know this is weird to ask on here but I feel a bit more comfortable asking from people I have something in common with :twilightblush::twilightblush::twilightblush:

Anyway...... I struggle a little with English so this will be very helpful if you guys can help me. In my homework it asks me to explain how these terms (mystery, dramatic irony, ambiguity, suspense, and vagueness) can become tools used by authors to make their works more interesting.

If you help me with this, I will make cover art for your next story. It will for the most helpful response:ajsmug:

EDIT: Oh! Also there has to be an example like from a book or TV show....

that is tough but i will look it up for you man

1. Do anime count?
2. Does it have to be from just one work or can it be multiple?

(mystery) something that is difficult or impossible to understand or explain.
(dramatic irony) the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
(ambiguity) the quality of being open to more than one interpretation; inexactness.
(suspense) 1.a state or feeling of excited or anxious uncertainty about what may happen.
2.the temporary cessation or suspension of something.
(vagueness) lack of certainty or distinctness.

1. I think so as long it is appropriate....

2. You could use multiple....

I'm sorry but its asking how they can become tools used by authors to make their works more interesting not definition but thanks for trying.

oh ok sorry man

The Count of Monte Cristo, one of my all time favorite stories ever. Or the anime alternative Gankutsuo: The Count of Monte Cristo. A story of revenge that has the mystery of the Count himself. the moral ambiguity of his character, after all he want's revenge and we as the reader understand and sympathize with him, but sometimes the actions he takes don't justify the results. The suspense of who will be the next casualty in this grudge between the conspirators and the Count.

Another one is the anime, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R1 and R2. Our antihero, Lelouch vi Britannia, is a man that even we as the audience sometimes don't understand his motives anymore after certain events. It uses the suspense of how he'll get out of whatever pickle he's in as well as his moral ambiguity in some of his choices as well as the other characters as well. Schneizel and the Damocles, every geass user, and Lelouch himself. The irony that in order for him to get the perfect world for his sister, he must become the ruler of the nation that he's despised since the age of 10.

When it comes to storytelling, I view 'Star Trek: TNG' as the bible or the Rosetta Stone for telling investing tales. One episode comes to mind...

...but all of those words you speak of (mystery, dramatic irony, ambiguity, suspense, and vagueness), are words that get the brain to think.

Mystery is trying to make sense of things.
Dramatic Irony is reflecting upon the actions that brought them to this point.
Ambiguity is considering the possibilities that could arise.
Suspense causes the mind to wonder what will happen.
Vagueness makes us paint an image on what is being described.

The mind likes to think and make sense of things. Take for example...

Het qicuk bowrn xfo jpmus oevr het lzay ogd.

...your mind probably tried to make sense of what I just said by rearranging the letters to form the proper sentence...

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Authors use those tools to keep the mind guessing and gains the attention of the audience more into wanting to see how this plays out. I'll leave with a quote from one of my stories that implies this...

Something doesn't sound right "Everypony here are scouts, they're the first to know about what's coming or not. How can that colossal bird get the drop on you from nowhere?"

"A few ponies did mentioned how it appeared, but it seemed very far-fetched to even be considered as accurate."

"What were they?"

She scratches the back of her head while she recalls "Well they said it came from a black cloud. Some reports stated that the cloud was on fire, a few said it moved unnaturally, and there was even one that-" shes giving off an awkward expression, "Well..... it said... that it snorted."

Thank you for help!! I think I understand much better now😄😄😄 Let me what you want for your cover for your next story :pinkiehappy:

Happy to help, but I don't really have a story planned that is in need for a cover as of now.

The one I'm working on could use a unique cover, but the current image I have gets the point across, and I've read your wishes about requests from your DeviantArt page so I don't want to push you into doing it.

From what you've made, you're a Discord fan; so I'll keep you in mind if I ever write a story that surrounds him.

Ending on an interesting note.... it appears that you've entered a T-shirt contest not too long ago. As luck would have it, I've entered the same one as well. And the image I made for it, was based off the cover I'm going to have in my next story.

Pretty cool!!! I can't wait to what you come up with for him!😆😆😆

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14