Followers of Discord 3,186 members · 2,756 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

I was wondering, does my story, where the main character (me) Gets the powers of chaos at birth and goes to equestria, is applicable, it is titled "Chaotic Harmony, equilibrium of the soul"

Please don't try making a self-insert. Please, just don't.

1395234 SIs as a genre are jut :pinkiesick:.
The best ones are :unsuresweetie:

1395159 First work on your grammar. I have no idea what you are asking.

I'm assuming you just said that Self-Inserts are great ideas.

Have you ever seen one in the featured box before?

Exactly. I haven't either.

1395353 I was saying they are usually awful, and the best are mediocre. :twistnerd:

1395350 Sorry, I am asking if my story is applicable to this group, as Discord is not a main character in it, but he does play an important role in it

1395363 Have you read Griffon the Griffon?!

Oh. Sorry. :twilightoops:

In that case, I agree on all counts.
:twilightsmile:

1395387 Afraid not.
1395394 One is Griffin the Griffon. That got featured, I believe.
:moustache:

1395394 Griffin the griffon is a self insert, and IT KICKS ASS! people just dont do them well usually

Alright... do a single chapter, and make it at least 5k words.

After that, ask at least 5 experienced pre-readers to read it.

Depending on the results, choose to continue it or not. It's your choice, i'm just giving advice.

1395467 I have made the story already, and I was just seeing if this group would let me add it, if it is a no, then oh well, I will still write it because it is fun and I enjoy writing as myself/ my oc

If Discord is one of the close-main characters you can add it.

1395532 Ok... what if he causes a crucial part of my backstory?

Discord must be heavily related- or crucial, in your words -the story can be posted into the group.

The admins decide if it gets in anyways.

A self-insert, eh?
Well, I'm going to have to ask you to be very, VERY careful with what you are writing. Self-inserts are mostly frowned upon. And for good reason, they are absolutely assinine.
For the most part.
On one side of the spectrum you have the story. "Have I become my OC?" which breaks every rule of conventional fanfiction writing. I recommend it only as a template for how NOT to write a story.
Sadly, stories like this are all to common within the community. And it's no wonder that the genre has gotten its bad reputation. It's a favorite amoung inexperienced writers who (quite frankly) can't tell their arses from their elbows when it comes to writing.
However, believe it or not, there are good self-insert fictions out there.
You have stories like 'Griffin the Gryphon' and 'A Tale of Two Bronies' which are both excellent examples of how to handle the self-insert concept.
And, you know what I think. When it comes to you wanting to write a self-insert story, I think It's a great Idea:twilightsmile:
We need more experienced writers who can show us that this genre of fanfic isn't doomed to eternal obscurity. We need more writers to show this community that self-inserts can actually be GOOD.
However, It has to be handled very carefully. As this is a difficult genre to get right. Falling for the many traps that litter this adventurous genre is something that all too many writers do. The most common of which is giving their character "The Mary Sue Syndrome" as I have so originally *cough* *cough* termed it.

But, I wish you the best of luck. It's not easy to write a story like this. And I applaude you for taking such a tall order.:yay:
Oh, and Sir? Do try to make yourself an interesting character.:moustache:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17