• Published 4th Aug 2013
  • 1,181 Views, 22 Comments

Doctor, Who am I? - TARDIS_Brony



Is a stallion just living in an illusion or is there more to him than he seems?

  • ...
3
 22
 1,181

Uncovering an Illusion

Uncovering an Illusion

Twilight headed to Sugar Cube Corner as fast as she could racing through Ponyville. Her heart beat was erratic and her mind in jumbles, all she could think about was getting more information on that stallion. The problem was she did not understand why, it made no sense. She had only just met him and yet he consumed her every thought. She knew next to nothing about him and still made that strange bet with him. Part of her mind ,the rational part, was telling her to stop think about what she doing instead of racing through Ponyville like a disaster was going to happen. The other part , the obsessive leave no mystery unsolved part, was telling her must find out more and keeping her running. There was also third part in control of Twilight which dwarfed the power of the other two, however Twilight had least understanding of. This part thumped in her chest and her throat, her heart. Out of everything it screamed the loudest to find out more driving her towards Sugar Cube Corner.

Twilight was a pony of logic and trying to figure things out is what she excels at. So naturally she would want to figure out what it was about this stallion that interested her so much? It could be because he matches the description of a character of a book. His soft light brown coat, his dark brown bushy mane and tail, and his soul searching blue eyes. All those characteristics matched the pony in the Traveler's series the Doctor. However, that did not explain why she wanted to touch that mane, run her hoof over his coat, or get lost in those blue eyes. Perhaps it is because of the book he had offered in their wager that got her attention. The book was rare perhaps the rarest maybe the only copy in Equestria, yet he had it and it was signed. One does not get a book like that by chance, he must be somepony important or knows the author personally. Twilight has always dreamed of meeting the author of the series, perhaps she saw this pony as a way to find out who that was. However, that does not explain why she felt sadness when he expressed the possibility of leaving. Or why she rather lose the bet than win it, part of her wanting to be his assistant aiding him in everything he does.

She wishes she had the time to calmly asses the situation, however Sugar Cube Corner is in view so it will have to wait. Twilight knows always can always organize her thoughts later... wait did she just decide to procrastinate, no, shaking her head she merely following the most logical order of discovery. She needs to find out more before coming to a conclusion, at least that is what she tells herself. The very idea that anypony would throw her off so much that she would put anything off is ridiculous. She can't wonder about that now, she needs to find Pinkie Pie.

Twilight enters the cafe looking around spotting Mrs. Cake behind the counter. "Hello Mrs. Cake," politely waving to her.

"Hello Twilight," greeting her back. "Are you here for something to eat?" always eager to make a bit.

"Not at the moment," ignoring her growling stomach at the thought of food. "I was wondering if Pinkie Pie is here?" looking around and not seeing the happy pony around.

"I am sorry Twilight," she says apologetically. "Pinkie just left a short while ago."

"Do you know where?" not really wanting to search for her.

"No sorry," giving her a weak smile. "She just left so suddenly, though she have her normal excited look in her eye. Perhaps there is a new pony in town, she does have a way about knowing about them before seeing them," making sense of the excited pony's actions.

"Don't I know it," Twilight recalling her adventures trying to figure the pink pony out.

"You could always wait for her here," inviting her to stay. "She bound to be back sooner or later."

"Thanks Mrs. Cake, however I can't," declining the offer. "I am sure I can find her," exiting the shop. Grabbing a scone on the way out unable to resist.

It was unfortunate that Pinkie was not there, chewing on her scone. The question is what now? Judging by the Sun she had maybe 3 to 4 hours before it went down. She really did not want to return to Clockwork's home without something on him. She hated being unprepared and wanted to learn something about the reclusive stallion. She could always try and find the Mayor, however judging from her last encounter the Mayor may know less than her. She had no choice she had to find Pinkie Pie, finishing her scone she sets out.

Twilight did not get very far the moment she made a step she heard shaking in the bushes. Swiftly turning around she peered at the plants as they sit silent. "Hello is anypony there?" looking weird talking to a shrub. "You better not be trying to scare me Rainbow Dash," looking at the offending plant and finding no pony.

"Hey Twilight!" came an excited voice behind her causing her to jump. "What are you doing in a plant? Are you playing a game," came the giggling voice.

Twilight turned around knowing full well who was behind her, "Pinkie Pie don't sneak up on me like that. And no I am not playing a game I think somepony was sneaking up on me."

"They weren't doing a very good job," looking at the bush. "Everypony knows if you want to sneak up on somepony you can't be heard. It is a rule for sneaking," acting out moving stealthy in font of Twilight.

"As disturbing as that is, what are you doing out here?" changing the subject.

"I was looking for somepony," she laughs as it was obvious.

"Who?" recalling her conversation with Mrs. Cake.

"Silly Twilight I don't know yet I need to find them first," peering around and swiftly moving to see if she could spot anypony.

"If you don't know who your looking for how do you know when you found them?" trying her hardest to understand Pinkie's logic.

"Because they are looking for me," giving Twilight a goofy smile.

"Wait... somepony is looking for you," forgetting that she was that pony. "And you are looking for them, but don't know who that is," tracing Pinkie's actions.

"Yeappers," bouncing up and down around her friend.

"Wouldn't it make more sense to be at a place where they can find you," reasoning with the pink pony. "How can they find you if they don't know where you are?"

"Oh my gosh, your right Twilight," holding Twilight face and giving her a hug. "That is the best idea ever. So much better than mine searching through bushes and wandering all over town."

"Wait a minute Pinkie," realizing something. "That means the pony in the bushes was you," figuring out who the hidden pony was.

"Oh yeah," recalling where she been. "My Pinkie Pie sense was telling me the pony looking for me was nearby."

"That pony was nearby Pinkie," remembering why she was there. "I am the pony that was looking for you," sighing knowing she will never understand Pinkie Pie.

"That means I found you," bouncing around with enthusiasm. "I had wondered why my Pinkie sense was going off while I was around you, now I know. What can I do for you Twilight?" eager to help.

"Well... umm," at a loss for words. Twilight was unsure what to do. Sure when she first set out to find Pinkie it was a with a sense of purpose. Now that she found the pink pony she was at a loss. Telling one of her friends that she met a stallion might give them the wrong idea. Her best choice was to ease into it. "I met somepony new today," making it as vague as possible.

"Oh my gosh, you met somepony new before me, where are they?" looking around for the new pony.

"They didn't come with me," sighing at her friend's antics. "They were new to me, but not to you, at least I don't think so," questioning if Pinkie knew this pony or not. "You know everypony in Ponyville, right?"

"That's right," agreeing with her statement. "I know everypony there is to know. I could tell you all of them if you like," preparing to recite a very long list of ponies.

"No, no that is alright Pinkie," stopping her before it started. "I only want to know about one pony, everything you can tell okay."

"Sure Twilight," happy to help a friend. "Who is this pony?"

"I don't really know," she admitted. "I just met him today, but I know nothing about him and for some reason that frustrates me," seeing Pinkie is about to speak, but stops her. "Please let me finish. I made a bet with him. I don't know why, but I did. I want to know if I made the right choice or not. I need to know more about him to come to a conclusion. That why I came to you because you know everypony in town and I was hoping you could tell me the type of pony he is," revealing her doubts to Pinkie.

"I didn't know it was so serious Twilight," giving Twilight a rare glimpse at her serious side. "I can see it matters a lot to you," seeing something in Twilight she has yet to acknowledge. "I promise to help you in anyway I can. Who is this pony you want to know about?"

"Thanks Pinkie," glad to have a friend help her. "His name is Clockwork, what can you tell me of him?"

Living on the edge of the Everfree Forest with the possibility of being attacked by monsters Ponyville is familiar with being scared. Since it became home of the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony the potential of attack has risen. Not just by monsters, but of other things as well. Princess bent on plunging the world into darkness, a mixed up creature spreading chaos, and a stampede of bunnies to name a few. However, nothing has instilled the fear into hearts of these peaceful ponies more than what Pinkie Pie says next. A three letter word with one syllable, "Who?"

Twilight feels as if Equestria around her has stopped. The birds stopped tweeting, the bugs stopped buzzing, and it felt as if everypony had stopped. Waiting on pins and needles for something terrible to come. Twilight was fraught with worry, what was she to do? Had she somehow released some unspeakable terror upon the world, again. She needed to fix it or else risking the universe collapsing upon itself. "You might know him better by his title Timekeeper of Ponyville," praying that this worked.

"Oh I know him," Pinkie replies excitedly. The world breaths a sigh of relief, crises adverted the world relaxes and life goes back to normal.

"Oh good," feeling as if a weight has been lifted off her shoulders. "Can you tell me his name?" wanting to know if the information she was given was accurate.

"Silly Twilight," Pinkie giggles. "You just told me his name, Clockwork," showing Pinkie might not know as much as Twilight had hoped.

"I don't think that is his real name," she admits. "When you first met him what name did he give you?" afraid she may of hit a dead end in her quest.

"I remember meeting him," giving Twilight hope. "He introduced himself as the Librarian, the Lord of Time, and the Schedule Maker," giving Twilight a list of title, but no name.

"Wait did you say the Lord of Time?" picking up on the odd title.

"Yeap he is in charge of the Ponyville clock tower," giving a reason for the title. Twilight on the other hoof found it odd he would give himself such an odd title. The only other pony that would give himself that title would be the Doctor.

"When did you first meet him?" wanting more information. "Has he always lived in Ponyville?" rattling off the first two questions of a list of many.

"I think it was two, no three years ago," unsure when she met him. "He had wandered into town and I gasped and sped off to plan a party," her usual antics when she meets somepony new. "When I got to Sugar Cube Corner I opened the door and was blasted with confetti, it was fun. When it cleared I saw the strange pony and he said, Surprise Pinkie," revealing somepony out surprised her. "I found out from the Cakes that he been out of town for a while often coming and going, but knows everything that goes on in Ponyville. He had known about me apparently every time I planned a party the Cakes sent in paper work, who knew."

Twilight smiled and shook her head just like Pinkie Pie not to know there was more to planning parties then creating the most fun ever. At least the Cakes were responsible for her actions and got approval before somepony got in trouble. However, she was not here to find out the structure of party planning. "Aside from that first meeting did you have any other encounters with him, what was he like?" ever curious about the stallion.

"Not many," recalling her past encounters. "But when I did he was lots of fun he made could turn a day into an adventure," giving the stallion praise. Twilight excited to learn more waited for her friend to reveal any examples. "There was this one time where he took over the market," remembering antics of the past. "He changed everything it was fun some approved, some didn't they went along with the change just for something different. He had a late night market opening, I think he called it Marketing by the Stars. By offering special deals it got ponies to come and buy late into the night. There was a request afterwards to do it again, but the Mayor decided against it," Twilight smiled glad to hear some ponies enjoyed his ideas.

Something clicked about Pinkie's tale she recalled reading about a special market that never closed. It sounded familiar, but she couldn't jump to conclusions yet, she needed to know more. "His next idea was for ponies to switch what they were selling, open there minds to knew experiences. He also would take a random pony who was willing and give them a chance at selling something," again what Pinkie said was familiar. It came from the Traveler's Series it was about a time when the Doctor came to planet and encountered the Eternal Market. It was a market that never closed and had hundreds of ponies selling just about everything. The market itself was pretty much a city the ponies living in their stalls sleeping in shifts to keep open, because they had no choice. They were prisoners of the market trapping them in its magic forcing them to sell whatever was in front of them, often changing it the next morning, to earn their freedom. Pinkie Pie's tale of Clockwork was sounding more and more like something that came from the Doctor's adventures.

"His last idea didn't go over so well," Twilight frowned wondering what he did wrong. "He changed where the markets was held. One day it would be in a park, the next spread through the town close to where ponies lived, and the next out near the farms. I thought it was fun," giving her opinion on the matter. "Having to find it one to being outside my door the next. Unfortunately the other ponies did not like it and complained he looked so sad. He was just trying to bring some fun to their lives," Twilight sadden at the town reaction to something they agreed to. "He disappeared for a few days after than and came back like nothing ever happened," Twilight wondering where he went. The thought of him overcoming his problem on his own sounded sad, did he have anypony?

Twilight couldn't help, but think how much Pinkie's story matched what she read. The last part where the market moved from place to place was what the Eternal Market did as well. It was magical traveling from location to location sometimes to different planets. It was when it moved it trapped unsuspecting ponies in their new prison. Forcing them to sell whatever was conjured in front of them. There was promise of escape if they did, however it would often place thing in front of them nopony would ever buy to make sure they never escaped. The Doctor managed to free the ponies by shutting down the source of the magic. However, it seems this stallion attempt to recreate this tale did not have such a happy ending for him.

"Did he do that sort of thing often," curious if Clockwork tried recreating Doctor's tale more than once.

"Sure did," she replied enthusiastically. Pinkie Pie then recited instances where Clockwork did something that seemed to be inspired by the Traveler's Series. There was a day where foals were given charge and anypony they asked had to meet their requests. Twilight remember reading the tale about the society run by foals. Another was when the Doctor had to cure ponies of a disease, which caused them to be trapped doing the same actions and using the same words. Clockwork played out by having ponies repeat everything they did and if anypony touched them then they would catch it next. Pinkie Pie gave Twilight many examples on how he tried to make the day a little different. However, despite his best intentions something would go wrong and ponies would blame him.

Twilight was annoyed by this. Here was this pony trying to bring a new experience to others and they blame him if something went wrong. Where was the fairness in that? How could he predict something going wrong? There was no way he could foresee the foals growing power hungry or ponies hurting themselves doing the same action. He only wanted them to have fun bring a smile to their day. Instead he earns their ire and he is forced to deal with it on his own. As disappointed as she is in the citizens of Ponyville, Twilight finds the part where he is all alone in this the most disheartening. For all of Clockworks experiments had the same ending, he was alone. Twilight wished nothing more than that she could of been there for him she wouldn't of abandoned him, which leaves her with a question.

"Pinkie where were you?" finding it odd the the friendly pony would leave anypony sad alone.

"I don't remember Twilight," her lack of recalling as a surprise to her as it was Twilight. "I remember see him sad, I remember following him to cheer him up, then I hit a blank. The next thing I recall was being a Sugar Cube Corner. Now that I think of it each time I tried to cheer him, poof nothing then Sugar Cube Corner," revealing that this happened more than once. "When that happened I remember being confused and fairly sure I should be somewhere else, but couldn't remember where. I would try and remember. I would even ask Mrs. Cake if I was going anywhere, but she never knew. Then when I saw him again I would remember and ask if he was alright. He would smile act as if he was never sad in the first place and tell me his next great idea."

Twilight absorbed this new information. It was not like Pinkie to forget anything, so for that to occur was strange indeed. There was something in this picture she was not seeing. She had dozens of theories, but nothing to back them. She only needed to ask the right question to narrow it down.

"Pinkie Pie could you describe the Timekeeper Clockwork to me?" knowing that should be something engraved in Pinkie's mind.

"Of course," she replies excitedly. "He is a Unicorn ... wait no a Pegasus... no that not right either... an Earth Pony?" sounding more like a question than a certainty. "Gosh Twilight it so weird if I saw him I am sure I could point him out. It is like when I try to see him in my head the picture is fuzzy. I am sorry I can't be more of a help," disappointed she can't help her friend.

"It is alright Pinkie Pie it isn't your fault," consoling her friend. Twilight knew something was amiss when Pinkie had blips in memory, however this went further than that. Magic was involved, she was almost certain of it. The spell used on Pinkie and perhaps everypony was known a Perception. It allowed the user to make others forget details about themselves, such as what they looked like or their name and only recall things if they are seen again. However the pony she saw was an Earth Pony there was no way he had access to magic that advanced. Even if he carried a charm or amulet that contained the spell to effect the entire town would be impossible. Also it begged another question, why was she unaffected? Twilight could recall everything about Clockwork, except for his cutie mark.

"Pinkie can you tell me of anypony that has contact with him more than once?" needing to confirm her on thoughts.

"Sure lots of ponies, the Mayor, the Cakes, and I think Rarity has as well," naming ponies off.

"Rarity?" trying to squash the surfacing green eyed monster. "Why would he go see her?" feeling hostile towards her good friend.

"I am not sure, were they dating?" not noticing her friend on the verge of combustion. "No that wasn't it," crises adverted. "I remember he went to her for lab coats."

"Lab coats?" recalling he did wear one, however it did not sound like something Rarity would provide.

"She didn't make them, but she has contacts," revealing something about Rarity Twilight did not know. "Oh, I just remember Rarity also made him a suit," Twilight could feel the green eyed monster's return.

"A suit?" that meant Rarity might of put her hooves on him. Stood close to, him spoke to him, laughed with him, all the while measuring every inch of him. That green eyed monster was no longer, it had changed into a rampaging dragon twice the size of Canterlot. It was currently stopping on the Carousel Boutique and setting a blaze in Twilight's mind.

"Yeap, in fact she made two," the place where the Carousel once stood is now a crater. "Only ever got to see him in one though, I thought he looked good and so did some of mares in Ponyville as well," Pinkie Pie unknowingly dooming mental Ponyville as Twilight's dragon turned it's attention towards the ill fated town. "It is so strange the more I think about it the more I remember, he was wearing a red tie."

"Did you say a red tie?" ending the dragon's rampage to her curiosity. "Did this suit have blue strips?" only one suit pictured in her mind.

"How did you know?" bouncing around. "Are you reading my mind? What am I thinking now?"

"No I am not Pinkie, it was just a guess," knowing it was far from it. "Pinkie you been a great help to me, but I have to go," looking at the sun. Best guess she lost a hour not much longer before it went down.

"Where are you going to go?" curious where her friend was headed next. Twilight thought for a moment, unfortunately there was only one place she could think of going, a place she had mentally demolished.

"Carousel Boutique," speaking it's name made her feel the need to brush her teeth. "I need to go talk to Rarity," disliking the idea. However, Rarity may be the only pony that would have the information she wanted.

"Better hurry, I think she closes shop soon," giving Twilight a friendly warning. "Good luck with everything," bidding her friend goodbye with a smile.

"Thank you Pinkie," watching her friend bounce away. Then turning to head to the Boutique.

Twilight's mind was a buzz with the new information she learned. Focusing it on to keep her occupied, instead of thinking of Rarity and the stallion of her interest being friendly. Or else awaken the slumbering green eyed dragon to destroy once more.

The information she gained was shocking, overviewing it in her head. For whatever reason he enjoyed bring stories from the adventures of the Doctor to life. At least that is what it seemed. It could be by chance that they run parallel with the tales, however that was unlikely. He did carry the first book after all, so clearly he was a fan. Perhaps he liked them so much he wanted to try it in real life. Twilight was no stranger to experimenting with things she read in a book, in fact it was doing such that allowed her to meet Clockwork in the first place. He seemed to like the same, however he was more social than her and involved the town. From Pinkie Pie she gathered everything started out great, however went sour from there. Twilight could only imagine how he felt after everypony seemed to blame him for any problems that occurred. She had to admire his dedication though, even after failure he would try again. However, how much could one take before he gives up? Then Twilight had a terrible thought, what if that is why he his considering leaving? He has given up. Twilight couldn't accept it, she would get him to see there is at least one pony who appreciates him. Even if every other pony forgets him she would not.

The thought of being forgotten brought her to other piece of information. It seemed he had access to magic or something magical, which seemed impossible. However, as the Doctor would say, "Never eliminate the impossible, you might miss out on something." All signs seemed to point to magic, a spell in fact, Perception. Perception was a powerful spell that even the most magically inclined Unicorns had trouble using, also access to the spell was almost impossible. Twilight herself only ever studied the spell once, studying it under the watchful eye of Princess Celestia. As far as she knew the Princess had the only copy in her personal library. The spell itself seems simple the caster is cloaked in an aurora of magic, which when in contact with another pony they will forget details about the caster. It is rumored that if anypony saw someone using that spell, but never came in contact with them then they will have forgotten them ever being there. The problem with the spell is that it is draining, a pony has to keep feeding magic into it to keep it working. The other flaw with the spell was the more a pony thought about their encounter with the caster the more they remembered. Twilight picked up on this sign as she spoke to Pinkie Pie, who kept on remembering more details as they talked. The spell was never meant to be used on the same ponies over and over again, for each time they would recall more until it no longer worked. Which is why she headed towards Carousel Boutique, as much as she rather not.

Standing in front of the building she had come to loath made Twilight feel a torrent of things. Things she rather not think about or risk awaking her green eyed dragon. Inside would be Rarity, the mare responsible for the beasts creation. Twilight could feel the beast stir as she thought how Rarity had the most contact with Clockwork. Designing his clothes and taking his measurements, out of all the ponies in Ponyville the only one who has gotten a view of his cutie mark. The green reptilian eye opened as she imagined Rarity checking his cutie mark with her appraising eye. Twilight calmed herself down putting the beast back to sleep, she had no time to think of such things. She came here on a mission, one she intends to complete. Twilight will judge from Rarity's reaction if their relationship is more than client and customer, if it is then she shall release the beast.

Knocking on the front door, putting on her best fake smile, Twilight let herself in, "Be right with you," came the mare voice from the back. Twilight knew it belonged to Rarity, however Rarity's sweet sound voice now grated on her every nerve in a way it never had before. "How may I help you..." pausing noticing her friend. "Twilight, dear I didn't know it was you. What do I owe the pleasure?" greeting her good friend. Twilight on the other hoof upon seeing the lovely white mare had to keep herself from attacking Rarity.

"Oh hi Rarity," taking a few breaths to calm herself. "I came here looking for information," maintaining a business type demeanor.

"Oh sounds serious," taking notice of Twilight's tone. "I am not sure how much help I will be, but I will try," willing to aid a friend.

"It is about a stallion..." never getting to finish her sentence. In a blink of an eye Rarity went from one side of the room to invading Twilight's personal space.

"Did you just say stallion!?" Rarity's nose in contact with Twilight's. Surprised into silence Twilight could only nod her head. "This.. is ... the... most wonderful thing," pulling a table out of no where and magically setting it with tea and treats. "You must tell me everything. Honestly you have your nose stuck in books so much I was wondering if you were ever going to notice stallions," sipping her tea while waiting for Twilight to spill.

"Wait...what?" confused and her cheeks going red from Rarity's comment.

"There is no need to be shy dear," mistaking Twilight's reaction. "I can tell just by looking at you, your positively smitten. So naturally you came here for my advice," brushing her hoof through her mane. "I will be more than happy to give you some advice, but first you tell me how you met and all that," giving conditions for her advice.

"I just met him today," trying to fight the growing blush. Rarity's assumption bringing forth a typhoon of emotions, ones she was trying to keep in check. The very idea she would "be smitten," as Rarity put it was preposterous. Twilight just met him today after all.

"Love at first sight," countering Twilight's internal argument. "That is adorable Twilight, I could make you a dress for your first date," planning Twilight next move for her.

"A date?" she squeaked. She never thought past finding out who he was. What if Rarity is right? What if some form of relationship comes of her actions? Could she handle it? Would she be a good marefriend? Shaking her head, why is she thinking that far ahead? Such a notion may never happen, ignoring the faint pain the thought brought.

"Of course dear," playing out Twilight's relationship for her. "You must tell me, did you approach him or did he approach you? Who am I kidding, you would only notice a stallion if he was a character from a book," not knowing how close to the truth she was. ""Which stallion was it? I want to know who finally had the courage to try for our dear Twilight's heart."

"Which stallion?" her mind almost blowing a fuse. The very idea that even one stallion showed interest in her made her blush. The fact that there was more than one, lets just say her coat got very close to turning red.

"Oops," realizing her mistake. "I guess I should of kept that detail to myself. Oh well, can't be help. But I still must know, tell me the stallion that approached you," whining ever so slightly to get her information.

"Actually I approached him," trying not to be smug. "I just met him today, so there no way I would have a crush on him," wanting to gain control of the conversation.

"Your head over hooves for this stallion," ignoring Twilight's statement. "Your in denial Twilight, the sooner you realize it the better."

"I am not in denial," countering back. "I just met him today and know next to nothing about him. It doesn't make any logical sense to have any feeling for Clockwork," even as the words left her mouth it made her feel hollow inside. Twilight could feel her own heart ache as her emotions and brain went to war.

"Clockwork so that's the stallion's name," catching Twilight's slip. "With matters of the heart making sense is useless, but I can see I am making you uncomfortable," noticing her friend's distress. "However, I don't know a stallion named Clockwork so I don't know why you came to me."

"Actually you do," calming her emotions and focusing on why she was here. "I spoke to Pinkie Pie earlier and she said he was a customer of yours," recognizing the signs of same forgetfulness of Pinkie.

"While I don't doubt our friend Pinkie," preparing to give Twilight bad news. "I don't get many stallion customers, those I do get are here to get something for their wife or marefriend. I have made a few suits, but again it to impress or woo a mare.," trying to break the news gently to Twilight that her stallion is most likely taken. "Though, I can't recall anypony named Clockwork, do you know what he does for a living?"

The very idea that the stallion she wanted to know about had a mare, hurt her in ways she couldn't understand. Twilight could feel the green eye of the dragon open, ready to smash whatever brought her pain. Whether it was the stallion or a mare she wasn't sure yet. The only thing bringing her solace was Rarity did not know the name. She expected it, but it was still a relief. Now to see if Rarity's memory worked like Pinkie's, which seemed to activate when his title was mentioned, "He is the Timekeeper of Ponyville."

"Oh him," Twilight could feel Rarity's distaste at recalling. Her demeanor changing from happy to sour, much like the Mayor's had. "I remember him now, I can't believe I forgot. He came to me asking about Lab Coats, can you believe it? I am a designer and he came to me about Lab Coats," Twilight could feel the displeasure radiating off her.

"That is him," fighting back the smile forming. Rarity's displeasure meant she didn't try and date him thinking him uncouth or something like that. Granted Twilight should feel a little miffed at her friend for putting him down, but she was too busy being happy.

"Twilight while I am happy you are noticing stallions," breaking Twilight's jubilation. "I have some bad news about the stallion your interested in and it is more than just on fashion sense," to make sure Twilight knows it is serious.

"Does he have a marefriend?" going to the worst thing she can think of.

"Not that I am aware of," placating Twilight fears. "What I mean is ... oh dear how do I put this eloquently? He doesn't live in this world," warning her friend.

"I already heard from Pinkie Pie what he has done," thinking Rarity's argument would entail his failures. "I hardly believe involving the town in some activities makes him not of this world."

"Pinkie told you of his debacles," seeing swaying Twilight might be harder than she thought. "You weren't there Twilight, if you had experienced it first hoof than you might think differently. But I know there is no convincing you once you have something in your head. Now that I think of it I have spoken to him on several occasions, that why your here isn't it," realizing why Twilight is there.

"Yes it is," admitting her reasons. "However, if your just going to insult him I may be better off learning nothing," she could feel her fur stand in anger.

"Twilight I would never besmirch another pony," defending her reputation. "However you come to me to help you make a decision about somepony, am I right?" Earning a nod from Twilight. "Then don't you owe it to yourself to hear from both sides before deciding," weaving her web to ensnare Twilight.

"I suppose you are right," caught by Rarity's web. "However, if you insult him to much then I reserve the right to leave," unraveling the web.

"Fair enough," accepting the terms. "I recall when I first met him, was it about a year ago, I am not sure. He radiated confidence knowing why he was here. I don't mind telling you I had hoped he was here to woo me," the green eye of dragon opened. "I don't quite remember how he looked, how odd, he must of been fetching if I was attracted to him," Twilight uncertain if she should see that as an insult or compliment. "Then he asked me for Lab Coats," her voice turning sour. "Naturally I knew where he could get some and help him, but still I was inspired I had to make something."

"Pinkie Pie told me about the suit," keeping the wreathing dragon at bay.

"Suit? Ah, yes the suit," as if recalling it from the blue. "It was a nice brown color. Now that I think of it, it went well with his coat."

"Pinkie recalled it being blue," taking the description that she gave her friend.

"How I could forget the second coat?" her eyes wide in realization. "That was a work of genius and to think he designed it, made me overlook the whole Lab Coat incident," the dragon at the back of Twilight mind begging to be released on the unsuspecting mare. "I recall he looked dashing in it, almost asked him out," the dragon roared for blood.

"Why didn't you?" squirming while she asked the question.

"Two reasons," bitterness in her voice. "The first he never looked at me not once," Twilight wanted to say he looked at her, but kept quiet. "His eyes were darting around asking questions about my shop some practical, others not. He never let me near him either, he told me his measurements I never got to," sounding disappointed. Upon hearing this the dragon rage calmed down, seems Rarity didn't get a much as Twilight thought. "He was always talking too, much like Pinkie, it was like he was trying to distract me. It was from that I found out he was in charge of the Clock Tower and he was the idea maker from, as you say, town involvements," so not to sound too insulting. "While I was not happy with the outcome of his ideas it did not completely deter the idea of dating him, although it did sway my decision."

"What was the second reason?" finding Rarity's first reason to come from a bruised ego. Twilight had to keep herself from squealing in joy, she did meet his eyes. She still remembers when his eyes locked with hers and could feel her heart beating in her chest and ears. Twilight could feel the same just from the memory, envisioning herself and him all alone.

"The next reason is a bit hard to put into words," breaking Twilight from her daydream. It sounding like Rarity may insult him, she stood poised ready to defend if needed. "Given our agreement the best way to go about it is to tell you about the conversation that made me realize how "peculiar" he was," using gentle words so not to insight Twilight's ire.

"The conversation started about gems of all things," to Twilight a stallion interested in gems sounded like Rarity's dream come true. "Naturally I more than happy to discuss my passion with him," the dragon stirred once more. "He asked several questions such as, where I found them, how I found them, and their types. Then he asked if he could look at one, at the time I was thinking he was an appraiser, how wrong I was," her voice turning bitter. "He took one look at it and called it a worthless shiny rock," crying as if the words hurt her physically.

"Rarity calm down," not wanting to see the mare cry. "Not all ponies hold the same value to gems that you do," reasoning with her. Twilight herself was one of those ponies who held little value to gems, but she would never tell Rarity that. Perhaps it was a bit cold of Clockwork to say that to Rarity, he may need to learn about tact.

"It gets worse," replacing her tears for frustration. "He told me why they were worthless, prattling on about resinating and magical capacity." Unlike Rarity those words were not insulting to Twilight, to her it was a clue. There were only a hoof full of ponies in the world that even knew how to look for magical properties of crystals and it appeared he was one. All the ponies that she knew of in that field of expertise were Unicorns and held high positions, she has only met one or two. To find an Earth pony with the same expertise was unheard of, yet here apparently was one. Twilight was more than eager to hear the rest of what Rarity had to say.

"Then he started to lecture me," sounding insulted. "He told me where I could find gems of real value. Do you want to know where he told me to go?" asking a question she plans on answering. "The Everfree Forest," naming off the place where ponies fear to tread. "He started to ramble about how difficult it is to find them often taking two to three days. Twilight no pony goes into the Everfree for that long and survives, yet there he was talking as if it was a day in the park."

"We have been in the Everfree as well," recalling her own adventures inside.

"Yes, but never alone and never a long time," throwing back her own argument.

"He could explored it before, knows it like Zecora does," using their Zebra friend to show the forest is not as dangerous as they believe.

"He wears Lab Coats Twilight," trying to get her stubborn friend to see the whole picture. "Wandering dangerous places does not seem to fit his job description. Don't even think about saying it is not in your or mine either," stopping Twilight comeback statement. "He is the Timekeeper of Ponyville Twilight, he not some adventurer or hero. He just some regular Brown Earth pony," sounding frustrated. "I am trying to get you to understand Twilight and your not listening. I tried to be gentle, but that not working. Do you want to know the full truth? This Clockwork fellow is crazy he is a danger to himself and those around him. He runs around pretending and living in his own fantasy word. We as good-natured ponies humor him, but mark my words it is only a matter of time till somepony gets really hurt," panting from her outburst.

"You really surprise me Rarity," disappointed in her friend. "I would of thought after the time we spent together you would give ponies another chance," scowling at Rarity.

"I have tried Twilight," ashamed of herself. "More times than I can count, I have tried. But I cannot trust him Twilight, very few ponies in Ponyville do."

"Why?" wanting to know the root of the mistrust.

"I don't know," scared of her own answer. "Whenever I think of him, I feel distrust, as if he was somepony who did something wrong. But even taking his debacles in account I can think of nothing he has done wrong. I don't understand it Twilight is there something wrong with me?" tearing up.

"Nothing is wrong Rarity," trying to calm her friend. In reality her mind was whirling, could this be the work of the Perception spell? Is was made forbidden, but most ponies thought it was due to its difficulty. What if prolonged exposure did things to other ponies, like made them distrust. "How did you feel when you saw Clockwork?" not wanting to ask the question, but it was needed.

"That he was a friendly outgoing pony," recalling her encounter. "But that doesn't match what I think," rubbing her hooves in circles over her temples. "My feelings don't match my thoughts, I am starting to wonder if he even said what I believe he did or if I ever spoke to him at all."

"Focus Rarity," sensing she was losing her train of thought. "You said Clockwork was a Brown Earth pony, can you recall anything else."

"I did say that didn't I," recalling her own words. "Yes a brown pony with even a darker brown mane, never got to see his eyes those," pouting again. Twilight afraid she didn't see what she had hoped to find out. "I did see his cutiemark," Twilight held her breath wanting to know what it was. "Or did I? I thought I did, was it an eight? Oh dear I am having trouble recalling."

"It is alright Rarity," knowing she should of not gotten her hopes up. "I need to get going, I plan on seeing Clockwork later on today," telling her plans to Rarity.

"Twilight I am happy you found somepony," Twilight blushing at what Rarity believed. "I know you don't want to hear this, but be careful. There is something off about that stallion, the fact I feel two different ways towards him is proof of that. I don't want to see you hurt, but for you I will be willing to give him another chance," giving her friend a smile.

"Thank you Rarity," smiling back recalling why Rarity was her friend. Letting go of that pettiness she had before. "He just a lonely stallion looking for a friend," confident in herself waving goodbye as she leaves the shop.

Looking up Twilight sees the sun still in the sky. She doesn't have much longer to get the information she needs, but where should she go. From her conversation with Rarity he apparently has studied the magical properties of crystals. There were a few books on it ... of course a book. Clockwork himself mentioned a book to her that would fit his field of study Crystals: The Untapped Source. It was the perfect book Twilight had to stop herself from trotting in joy.

A thought occurred to her, Clockwork gave her that title and two others. What if he gave her those titles on purpose to lead her, give her a path to follow. But, why? What was his reason? Where would it lead? Would it get her what she wanted to know or lead her somewhere different? Twilight did not know, but she would find out. Whatever his reasons he gave her those titles for a purpose. At least it gave her a destination, off to the library.

Author's Note:

Another chapter done, building up a mystery around Clockwork. Hope you all like it. Ditzy's chapter will be soon to follow.