• Published 24th Apr 2013
  • 477 Views, 3 Comments

Flight of the Eclipse or PM's Adventure Soup (Serves 7) - Mr Merritt



Peppermill, Applebloom and co. go on a mis-adventure...full of excitement and other things...

  • ...
 3
 477

Chapter Four

A small, intimate gathering of ponies had arrived at Sweet Apple Acres at the bequest of Peppermill and his friends. After a solid month of backbreaking work the colts were ready to show the world what they felt was quite possibly the greatest thing to ever hit Equestria. Or at the very least what six very different young colts could accomplish with the power of friendship…

…and lots of scrap wood.

Big Macintosh, the Elements of Harmony, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle all stood in front of the old barn where a refreshment table had been set up. A few yards away, sulking under a nearby apple tree was Applebloom. A current of excitement could be felt among the ponies as they anxiously awaited the reveal.

“If ah didn’t know better, ahd reckon them boys are making us wait.” muttered Applejack, glancing at the door to the building.

“I’ve never been to christening before! This is so exciting! I can finally take it off my bucket list!” gushed Pinkie Pie, bouncing in place.

“What the hay is a bucket list?” asked Rainbow Dash, who was already helping herself to some of the Peppermill-made dainties from the refreshment table.

“Oh, it’s a big bucket full of papers that list all sorts of things you want to do in your life. Every time you get to do one, you take it out of the bucket. When you empty the bucket, you win!” trilled the pink mare.

“I’m pretty sure that’s not what a bucket list is Pinkie.” remarked Twilight Sparkle.

“That’s a beautiful dress Rarity. I…I didn’t know this was a formal occasion…” murmured Fluttershy to the stylishly attired white unicorn. Beside Rarity was her younger sister Sweetie Belle, who was examining a small glass bottle with interest.

“Well, when one has such a vital role to play in today’s ceremony, one simply must look her best.” beamed the ivory unicorn.

“Why did we bring a bottle of ‘spar-kling grape juice’?” asked the filly, reading the label carefully.

“You’ll see soon darling.” smiled Rarity.

“I think it’s starting!” exclaimed Scootaloo. Her exclamation drew everypony’s attention to the barn, where the door to the building began to slowly open up. A low murmur of excitement ran through the group as they saw the youngest Apple pony Peppermill slowly walking backwards into the bright sunlight.

“Okay guys…nice and easy…” The grey Earth colt carefully guided a pair of Pegasus colts and a pair of unicorn colts who were tugging steadily on a long rope tied to the four of them. It was slow going, though it seemed to be more out of due care and attention than to weight. Eventually the…thing being towed out of the barn came into view of the assembled group.

“Oh my…” was the understated comment from Fluttershy.

“Ah reckon they outdid themselves…” rumbled Big Macintosh with a huge grin.

“Land sakes…” was all Applejack could manage.

“That is so cool!” squealed both Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo in unison.

“So…is it a boat, or a carriage?” came the rather simple question from Twilight Sparkle.

“I guess…you can say…it is a little…of both.” grinned Peppermill over his withers as the colts tugging their prize came to a careful stop. Indeed, what had once been a broken and abandoned carriage was now looking very much like a mid-sized sailing vessel. It even had portholes and a large sail that might have been a canvas cover in a previous life. The only oddity to the image was four large wagon wheels securely attached to the sides of the transport. And perched near the bow with a massive grin was Pipsqueak, in his full pirate captain gear.

“Ahoy me hearties. Cast yer eyes upon the greatest ship to ever sail the seas of Equestria.” bellowed the pinto colt.

“Or at the very least in and around Ponyville, whatever is easier…” snickered Rumble, untying the rope from his barrel.

“I don’t know what is more amazing: the fact we actually finished it or the fact we can actually move that thing. It’s heavy!” grunted Snips.

“Believe me it could be a lot heavier. It’s a good thing we pack light…” remarked Featherweight, his infamous camera already securely around his neck and ready to document the event.

“This is the most amazing, awesome, incredible thing in the history of everything!” squealed Pinkie Pie, who had already somehow managed to appear on-board beside Pipsqueak.

“I have to admit it is…amazing.” smiled Twilight, already beginning to formulate a friendship report to send away to Princess Celestia.

“Well, there is…more to come. Rarity…if you would…do the honors?” The grey Apple colt nodded to the unicorn mare. Rarity, now the center of attention, gave a beaming smile and sauntered to the stern of the carriage/ship/clubhouse. The rest of the group gathered nearby, watching with interest as the beautiful mare used her telekinetic magic to hold up the bottle of sparkling juice.

“Dearest friends, we are gathered here to welcome into the world the newest…”

“And greatest!” piped up a Trottingham accent from nearby.

“…and greatest vessel to ever grace the…er…shores of Ponyville. I do not doubt that this fine vessel shall provide many, many years of service for these industrious young colts.”

“There are only so many hours in a day Rare. Get on with it!” called out Rainbow Dash, with her typical impatience.

“Ahem.” Rarity gave the speedster a dark look, but decided to give in just this once. “And so, it is with great pleasure that I christen thee…er…um…” An awkward silence fell over the group as Rarity looked around anxiously, catching Peppermill’s eye. “Darling, the name?”

“The…name?”

“Yes darling, the name. When one christens a ship, they do so by announcing its name.” The assorted colt looked at one another in puzzlement. In truth, none of them actually knew what a christening was, nor had they the time to find out. They had simply been listening to Pip, who seemed to be far more knowledgeable about things of this nature than they did.

“Wait, wait!” cried out the colt in question as he leapt down from the ship and directly in front of Rarity. The mare did a decent job of not shrieking in surprise by his dramatic arrival, and she leaned down as the colt reared upon his hind legs to whisper to her.

“Really darling? Well, if that is what you’ve all agreed on…” murmured the mare. The other colts looked at one another warily, knowing this was as big of a surprise as it was to rest of the gathered guests.

“I hearby name thee…the Eclipse!” With her resonant voice filling their ears, the mare hefted the bottle of grape juice with her magic to burst upon the stern of the ship.

“Hooray!” roared both Pipsqueak and Pinkie Pie jubilantly.

“The…Eclipse?” murmured Peppermill thoughtfully.

“I think it’s a nice name.” remarked Snails cheerfully.

“I guess it’s kind of cool.” shrugged Featherweight.

“I suppose that is what we get for not actually…you know…asking Pip about it.” agreed Rumble with a sigh and a chuckle.

“It’s not over yet…” groaned Snips. He motioned to where Pip had already jumped back onboard and grabbed at a rope attached to the mast. With a tug, the crowd watched as a small rectangle of fabric inched its way slowly up to the very top of the central post. The flag contained an image of a white crescent moon above a pair of crossed swords on a midnight black background.

“I had nothing to do with that!” exclaimed the stubby unicorn colt emphatically. “All I did was lend him some thread, I swear!”

“I got me auntie to make it!” chirped Pip as he tied off the rope and hopped back to the ground, his smile seemingly permanently attached to his face.

“We seriously have to have a talk about you telling us things and springing surprises on us like that. This is supposed to be a group effort after all.” Rumble gave the pinto colt a stern look, to which Pip bit his lip in supplication.

“I’m sorry Rumble, everypony, I was just so excited. A real ship. We have ourselves a real ship! Can you imagine the adventures we can have, as a crew?”

“Now jus’ hold on there a minute sugarcube.” Applejack approached the gathered colt with a firm expression. “Do any of yer folks know about this here…uh…ship? I reckon ah ain’t too keen on letting you boys go off to Celestia knows where without some pony knowin’. The rather sheepish expressions the blond mare witnessed proved to be all the answer she needed.

“I agree with Applejack. As amazing as this is, and as proud as we all are for you all, you can’t just get on that thing and go where ever you want.” said Twilight firmly. “I think you all need to ask your parents before the…ahem…maiden voyage.”

“I reckon until yer parents and such say it’s all right, you can keep yer ship in the barn.” announced Big Mac.

“Aw…” Pipsqueak was obviously disappointed, for he clearly wanted to cast off as soon as possible.

“They are right Pip.” admitted Rumble. “Besides, we’ve already had enough excitement for one day.”

“Oh all right…” grumbled the pinto colt in resignation. He was hanging his head in disappointment when Pinkie suddenly sidled up beside him and gave him a hopeful look. The colt gave a giggle.

“All right Miss Pinkie. Go ahead.”

“Christening party WOOOO!!!” shrieked the mare as her party cannon (which, as usual appeared out of thin air) launched a mass of balloons and confetti.

***

Out by the tree, away from the celebration, Applebloom sat staring at the Eclipse.

“Ah…ah reckon that is mighty impressive.” she reluctantly mumbled to herself as she gazed upon the wheeled boat. “But there is no way that thing can be safe. There ain’t no way ahm lettin’ mah little brother on that thing. No sir.”