• Published 24th Apr 2013
  • 304 Views, 7 Comments

The Cloud Knight Series Book One: Risen Wings - Redstreak



The heir to the throne of Equestria unfortunately leaves a lot to be desired. It is only through perseverance, diligence, and hope that he will be able to blossom out into his intended destiny.

  • ...
 7
 304

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The clack of my hooves reverberate off the walls of the large hallway located just outside the entrance to the throne room. With each new step, a fresh wave of echoes scatters off only to mix with the old ones, creating a seemingly endless stream of clatter that only adds to the already chillingly lonely aura of the Canterlot Castle. Even after living here as long as I have it’s still something I’ve never really gotten used to.

The castle is the main center of business here in Equestria’s capital city, it’s history being rich in every different avenue possible, both good and bad. People have fallen in love here, captivated by the light of the moon in each other’s eyes as they both decide to step outside to catch a breather from the current gala. Peace negotiations have been reached in the castle’s great study here during times of war, the current prince or princess at the time signing their name through magic upon a treaty to finally end the bloodshed currently being waged on some distant war torn country. It was here that our nation saw it’s first, and thankfully only, public execution of a ruler, his greed having crippled all of Equestria and left countless ponies homeless with many dying on the streets through starvation. For me, however, it is a place of isolation, the main reason being due to its size. One could start at the entrance and walk at least a good hour without meeting a single other pony, at times giving you the false impression that you’re the only pony left in the world, as if everyone in your life had suddenly been spirited away and never to return. It is an unwanted truth that in the end only seems to make my thoughts on my future that much more dull and unappealing. The cold marble and imposing gothic structure doesn’t exactly help the castle’s level of cheeriness either. If I were alive during the time, the building’s architect just might have been Equestria’s first execution instead...

I reach the door to the throne room and pause, waiting for the last echo of my hoofsteps to fade away before slowly closing my eyes. I take a deep breath, and in a matter of seconds I have my mind cleared of all background thoughts so as to allow myself complete concentration on the object before me. Then, I feel it. It starts at the tip of my horn, a tingling, euphoric sensation that settles over the rest of me like a numbing warmth before exiting back out my horn in what feels like a burst of heat, all of this taking place in no more time than it takes a flash of lightning to rip across a turbulent, stormy sky. Before I even open my eyes, I already hear the turning of the door knob that is soon accompanied by the first sounds of the door’s hinges creaking as they start to swivel back, allowing me entrance into one of the most famous rooms of the castle.

The throne room spreads before me like a miniature enclosed museum. I take a step inside, using my magic to close the door back behind me before taking a moment to survey this familiar yet still somehow foreign territory.

In this room, it is as if time itself stands till. A subtle calmness pervades about the place that seems to soothe all those that enter it, leaving first time visitors in a state of awe as they try to take in the magnitude of the scene displayed before them. I myself have visited here countless times, though even now I still have yet to be numbed to that all intrusive wonder that, without fail, slowly inches itself through me unnoticed like the silent tiptoes of cat’s paws while it hunts for its prey.

It is here that it can be said that time, in all three of its modes of its existence, converges into one eternal meeting point. Along the walls stand beautiful, grand stained glass windows that represent time in its past essence, each window representing its own moment in history to remind the reigning prince or princess of the triumphs and defeats of those that lived before them, both royal and civilian. Farther down the room stands the actual throne seats themselves, their appearance and composition not having changed since they were first created during the rule of the first princess. They are tall, rigid monuments etched out of silver, the edges having been outlined by the brightest, most luminescent jewels that have ever been found in the mines of Equestria. The seats, where I one day shall find myself enthroned, symbolize the present as reminders of the royal party’s duties; having also strategically been placed directly in line of sight with the doors so as to be the first things seen when one enters, serving as a cautionary reminder to the prince or princess that they are always being watched. Beyond that, lastly, lies the open entrance to the balcony. It provides a mesmerizing view of the land beyond that stretches out for miles upon miles, embodying the essence of the countries citizens and how every decision the prince or princess may make from then on shall directly affect them, finally bringing the room’s time trinity to an end with this last representation of future. A pleasant smile slowly forces its way across the length of my face, the sheer majesty of my surroundings momentarily causing me to rethink my earlier nasty comments made about the castle’s renowned architect. Well... almost.

With a sigh, I notice that my father is absent, meaning I’ll simply have to wait for him to show up, probably when he gets finished with some last minute annoyance that’s apparently far more important than a meeting with his son he set up himself. I suppose until then I’ll take the time to properly look around as I’ve never been in here alone before. I make my way to the outer edges of the room so as to get a better look at the stained glass windows, letting my thoughts tumble back into the forlorn realm of days gone past. I walk past them at a steady pace, my face painted into a state of reverence as I imagine all the struggles, heartaches, and celebrations depicted in each panel that these ancient ponies had to endure. I check them off one by one in my head as the images bring back stories and lessons from my daily history classes, the remnants of their legacies now only kept alive by these crystalline reflections and in the tombs of old, forgotten textbooks. The Silver Mane Wars, the terrible wildfires that swept across the great Equestrian fields, The Night of a Thousand Stars, each one a different petrified moment in Equestria’s deep, rich chronology. There is one in particular, however, that I feel more obligated to stop in front of.

The window pane rises before like a thin, monumental tower, it’s iridescent glass shards illuminating before me in a rainbow hued light. The creation of this icon was handled with such grace and care that at times it seems to breathe and move as if it had a life of its own. In it, there stands a group of five distinct ponies, each with a similar metal necklace that clings to their necks. Above them stands a purple pony surrounded by a soft white, lustrous glow as she stretches her newly generated wings for the very first time. It is the beginning moments of Twilight’s ascension from favored pupil to fellow princess, her transformation a gift from her mentor, Celestia, for her years of hard work and dedication to the studies of friendship. I stare at her for a moment feeling a slight knot forming in the pit of stomach. I wonder, how did she feel in these moments? Was she scared, afraid that she might have to leaver her friends? Or was she excited at the unknown possibilities that in a split second had suddenly become open to her? I wonder if when that day comes I will be like her, beaming at the newfound duties and responsibilities that come with protecting and maintaining the peace and wellbeing of an entire nation. Only time will tell. Her chance has already come and gone, soon it shall be mine.

I turn my attention towards the far end of the room, slowly trotting towards the end of the room where, out on the balcony, a new scene spreads before me. The market square of Canterlot hums with busy patrons hustling to and fro, many entering pristine, high class shops while others happen to notice an acquaintance they haven’t seen in a while and begin to strike up a friendly conversation. Beyond that lies the residential and entertainment districts of the capital, every aspect of both continuously being updated and changed to conform to whatever new trend happens to work its way into the often scattered minds of our city’s most posh ponies. Further out stands the high walls surrounding the city as it’s biggest line of defense, separating us from the rest of Equestria. Outside the walls lies the open wilderness. From my perch on the balcony, I can see Equestria spread out before me for miles upon miles, like I’m staring at a life sized atlas. Before me sprawls vast plains that at times are bordered by dense, unfamiliar forests. Off to the east, the Trough River snakes its way throughout the land, fisher ponies settled into its calm waters waiting for the next bite. Everywhere I turn I see paths crisscrossing like a giant puzzle, connecting villages to towns to large cities, some having been erected as far back as the country’s founding. Far off to the north stands the Saddleback Mountains, a natural barrier between us and whatever country lies beyond.

My mind has trouble taking it all in. One day soon I shall inherit all this, a crown placed upon my head will seal the deal on my fate. At that point I shall be the ruling prince, the live of millions of ponies will be thrust unto my hooves and I, and my wife should I find one, shall be solely in charge of their well being. Every decision I make shall come with a price and, whether good or bad, I shall have to answer for. All of it is enough to make my head spin.

I’m just getting interested in what appears to be two young colts down in the market square playing a trick on an unsuspecting pony when I hear the creaking of doors coming from the entrance to the throne room. I turn to see my father making his way through the double doors, a look of annoyance upon his face. He is a pony of considerable physique, and though at first he seems intimidating, he is able to maintain an air of gentleness about him. He is covered in short, light brown fur with a dull gray mane. Upon his flank rests his cutie mark, a rugged, snow capped mountain.

“I’m sorry I’m late son,” he says in a voice much softer than one would imagine for a pony of his size, “a city representative from Manehattan showed up from nowhere and had some matters to discuss.” He travels the length of the room until he stops next to me out on the balcony. He turns his head to survey the view just as I had a moment before, a warm smile appearing upon his face. One thing is for sure, no one can ever deny that my father has a great love for this nation and its people.

“It’s fine father, I understand that at times things come up. What exactly do you need to discuss with me?” I ask as I turn my head back to lazily continue watching the ponies down in Canterlot. The unsuspecting pony has just slipped on something the other two ponies had inconspicuously put in the way of his path, the contents in the bags he carries flying into the air and landing all around him.

“Your mother and I have been discussing the matter of your birthday lately. Though at first there was some opposition to the idea, we believe you are ready for your first task as prince in training,” he finishes with a mock bow to me, waiting to see what my reaction will be.

Though my face remains in a state of calmness, my heart betrays me. I feel it start to beat against my ribcage at a growing speed, my stomach seems to twist with a sense of both nervousness and doubt.

“And what exactly does that entail?” I ask, hopeful that no hint of tension is evident in my voice.

My father raises himself back, a slight flicker of disappointment flashes across his face at my perceived lack of enthusiasm. “As is custom for all those born into the royal family, you are to take a trip by foot to a city or town in Equestria of your mother and I’s choosing to meet with their mayor. As it isn’t too far away, we have decided that you shall travel to Ponyville, an appointment for you has already been set up with Mayor Bloomingdale. You leave in the morning, just a bit after sunrise.”

At this point it is obvious that I have become unsettled. “Alone??” I finally manage to ask after a few failed attempts from my brain to properly process the action of speech. “Doesn’t this seem just a bit hasty to spring on me from out of nowhere?? What if something happens to me on the way there?” Now I’m starting to breathe heavily. I can’t even fly successfully yet I’m being asked, no, told to walk at least four hours to a town I’ve only seen in pictures? This has to be a joke.

I suddenly feel a hoof placed onto my shoulder and I look up into my father’s face, his kind gaze already slightly calming me down with what seems like a magic of their own. “I believe in you, son,” he says. “Though you may not can fly just yet, it doesn’t really even matter anyway, this is a journey meant to be taken by foot. Besides, your magic is adequate enough to help you with any small problems you may encounter. I promise you that you are going to be safe. Plus it gives your mom and I more time to plan for your party next week while you are gone,” he finishes, the goofiness sliding back into his voice.

For a small moment I believe him, and in that small moment I can actually see a glimpse of myself taking the crown from my father, unashamed and proud. However, it is short lived. For all the pep talk, I’m still just a flightless, cutie markless wimp. What choice do I have though?

“What all do I need to bring?” I enquire timidly.

“All of that shall be decided by you,” he states calmly. You are growing up, and it is high time you begin learning how to make those kinds of decision on your own. You will only be gone for one day so the only advice I could really give is to just pack lightly. You will eat lunch with the mayor tomorrow during your visit, any snacks you want to take for your trip there and back just simply take from the kitchen. Otherwise, everything else is just up to you.”

With that, we both turn and head back into the throne room. My father tells me he wishes he could stay longer just to talk, father and son bonding and all that, but he has an urgent meeting with the chancellor that he is already late for. We part ways just outside the hallway leading back to the throne room, him going down to the castle’s library while I make my way up towards my family’s bedrooms. Once I’ve entered mine, I retrieve my satchel from under my bed and begin to brainstorm for whatever I could take that could come in handy. It’s hard, though, as I’m still overwhelmed with thoughts on the very reason that I’m needing to pack in the first place.

From my desk drawer I pull out my compass and a decent sized water bottle, slipping them into my carrier before exiting room and making my way down several flights of stairs, eventually ending up in the wing of the castle reserved for classes. I slowly walk down the hallway until I reach the door marked with my teacher’s name, lightly tapping on the door with my hoof so as to announce my wish to enter. He grants me permission with a swift, “Come in!” and I step into room full of organized desks and shelves stacked with neat, worn books. At the front of the room sits Comet Flash, perusing, as he is usually found, over a rather large and ancient looking history book he most likely found in some dust ridden section of the castle’s library that no pony under the age of three hundred probably even remembers exists. He looks up from his book and provides me with a puzzled stare.

“Prince Skylar, what exactly brings you here? Classes have already been let out and I told you that you did not have to come back today,” he says with an edge of annoyance in his voice. He absolutely hates being interrupted from a book so I expected to at least be a little bit crabby.

“Well you see, sir, I came here to ask a favor of you. I need to borrow a map of yours, particularly one that details how to get to Ponyville. My father told me I have to travel there alone tomorrow and-”

“Ah! The Fledgling's Walk!” he interrupts with great enthusiasm.

“Yes, that, but you see-”

“This is a very important moment for you! Every prince and princess before you has had to do this very same thing. You should be proud my boy! It means you’re royal training has officially begun and that you are about to enter a new phase of your life, one full of many great ups and downs.” He begins searching through a great pile of documents and after a few minutes pulls out a map of Canterlot and the nearby areas. He eagerly places it into my hands and begins moving me towards the room’s exit. “What are you doing just standing here?? You have a great task ahead of you! Don’t just sit here and lollygag around, get busy and start preparing!” and with that I’m shoved out into the hallway, the door quickly slamming behind me.

I let out a sigh and begin heading towards the main stairs. Comet Flash is usually a very calm and collected pony, yet once he becomes excited about something there is no chance in trying to talk to him. However, he is right. I need to get prepared as soon as possible if I hope to get to bed early and collect an adequate amount of sleep for tomorrow. As of now I have the compass, an empty bottle, and a map. I guess if I’m going to stick with my father’s advice of packing lightly all I have left to obtain are just a few small rations of snacks for the walk. I start to head down the stairs that eventually lead to the kitchens, my thoughts becoming preoccupied with the subject of food, not knowing that tomorrow would set into motion events that would forever change my life.