• Published 19th Apr 2013
  • 861 Views, 18 Comments

The Last Party - WritingDragonfly



"When I die, I don't want you to mourn my death; I want you to celebrate my life. Don't give me a funeral, throw me a party. Pinkie promise?"

  • ...
4
 18
 861

Prologue: To Life and to Death

Applejack sprinted from the Everfree Forest, tears streaming down her eyes.

"Th...this can't be happening..."

She was rapidly approaching the edge of town.

"Th...there's no way..."

As she entered town, she ran past Lyra... past Roseluck... even past her own brother...

"N...no time to say hi... I need to find the girls!"

She skidded to a stop in the town square and glanced around. "Where are they, where are they?!"

Her eyes settled on a small tree a short distance away from the square. Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Rarity were resting beneath it.

"Girls! We have a problem!" she yelled as she dashed over to the tree.

The group looked up at her. Twilight was the first to speak. "What's wrong, Ap–"

It was at that moment that she saw Applejack's eyes. "...A...Applejack...?"

"Weren't you with Pinkie Pie?" Fluttershy stared at Applejack inquisitively.

She grimaced at the name. "N...no time! F...follow me!" She turned toward the Everfree forest and ran off.

The four nodded to each other and followed her.


"For the last time, Applejack, just tell us!" Rainbow Dash landed in front of Applejack to block her way.

"Ah... can't say it..." she gave a pained look. "B...besides... y... y'all can just see for yerselves..." She walked around Rainbow Dash, and pushed a bush out of the way.

They all stepped into a small clearing in the woods. In the center...

"Pinkie Pie!"

She was laying motionless in a pool of blood. Rainbow Dash rushed over to her, as the other three remained static. "Pinkie? You're still there, right?" She nudged the body, as tears began to well up in her eyes.

There were three large gashes on her side, resembling a claw mark. Blood was still slowly trickling out of the wounds.

"Damn it!" Rainbow Dash turned to Twilight, tears now flowing full force. "Y...you can save her, r...right, Twilight? Y...you're an alicorn!"

Twilight grimaced as tears began to trail down her face as well. "Even... I can't... bring the..."

Her speech halted. She couldn't bring herself to say that word.

Rarity had already collapsed into a heap, sobbing. Fluttershy, tears in her eyes, flew over to the body, inspecting it. "Th...that claw mark... a... Timberwolf?" She looked over to Applejack, who gave a nod.

"Is it gone...?"

Everypony froze in place. If it was still around...

Applejack shook her head. "That thing is gone. It's not coming back anytime soon. I personally made sure of that."

Everypony fell silent. There was no more denying it.

This wasn't an illusion.

This wasn't a dream.

This was all real.

Pinkie Pie... the one pony that could make them smile, no matter what...

was dead.