• Published 17th Apr 2013
  • 985 Views, 53 Comments

Remnants, Forgotten. - AnkhOmega



An ancient weapon of 'peace', a mind too curious for it's own good, a love hampered. A remnant of a past long forgotten stirs beneath the everfree, and has chosen its new Authority.

  • ...
6
 53
 985

3: Interfacing.

Interfacing.

The silence was deafening. She had no idea what to do, after all, how could you react to hearing something like that from such an unexpected source.

“I..I think you might have the wrong store dear, this is Carousel Boutique, the...adult special interest store is on the other side of town.” Rarity said to a severely blushing grey pegasus, who quickly shuffled out of the store. Applejack managed to withhold her giggles right up until the door clicked closed.

After a few moments Applejack managed to get herself under control, Rarity still had a smirk stuck to her face. “Well ah can rightly say ah never expected to hear that from her...It's always the quiet ones, huh?”

“It would seem so darling, though you'd be surprised at some of the requests the loud ones make.” Rarity winked at Applejack, “Now, what brings you to my humble establishment?”

“Heh, ah was hopin' y'all could help me out with that letter thingy.” Rarity's eyes widened with glee at the mention of the letter, “Ah got a few ideas, but ah was thinkin' ah might take a page out of Twi's book and do a little 'researchin' afore ah write the thing out.”

“Ooh, good idea! You can make it the most romantic outpouring of affection since Hoity Toity proposed to Photo Finish!” Rarity practically squealed, her pupils expanding to the size of dinner plates.

“Woah, hold on now. Ah don't wanna be proposin' to her, jus' lettin' her know how ah feel.”

“Oh I know darling, but we might as well make it as exquisite as we can. Now, tell me some of the things you like about her, and why.” Rarity smiled as she led her friend to a table, using her magic to pull some leafs of paper and a pencil over, presumably to scribble out ideas.

“Well, ah suppose that'll give us a startin' off point....Hmmm....” Applejack raised a hoof to her chin in thought, thinking on all the things about Twilight that she liked. The things that only she did, the things that'd infuriate her from anypony else. She started relaying the information to Rarity, who for her part was writing the information down like that the fevered scribblings of a mare possessed. As she spilled her love of the purple unicorn a stray thought entered her mind. Ah wonder what Twi's up to...

..//..

The staring match, which was admittedly a little one sided due to one participants lack of eyes, had been going on for a good few minutes. Eventually though a biological need overtook Twilight as her eyes demanded moisture, she blinked first. After losing the next three consecutive matches she finally caved into her curiosity.

“Okay, I give. What are you?” she said with an exasperated sigh.

“Designation: Core Unit-002” The voice seemed to come from the orb's interior, but there was no sign of how it was producing it. Twilight was confused by it's voice, it seemed unnatural, as if it were made of pre-recorded snippets of a stallion speaking. The light static just underneath the voice only served to reinforce the unnatural feeling it was giving off.

“What's a Core Unit?” she asked, any sense of trepidation was quickly making itself scarce before the full brunt of Twilight's scholarly curiosity came down.

“Querying Library Server...Error, Network connection offline.” The orb buzzed slightly, “All knowledge queries redirected to local storage. Alert: Locally stored data reads eighty four percent corrupted. Do you wish to continue?”

Twilight was desperately wishing she had something to take notes on, “Corrupted? What does that mean?”

“Data has been lost or decayed over time. Corrupted data cannot be read accurately, Unfortunately this Unit does not possess the required power for restoration. Some results may be unavailable. Do you wish to continue?”

Twilight hesitated for a split second before answering, “Yes, of course!”

“Querying local storage...Core Unit: A Core Unit is designed to interface with both Shell Units and facilitate communication between Biological sentients.” It answered, raising more questions for Twilight than it answered. “Alert. System check result: Bunker Alpha operating at two percent capacity. Network connections: Offline. Generation Units: Offline. Power levels critical.” It proceeded to list off many more warning, few of which made any sense to Twilight, before stopping abruptly, it's eye-glyph focusing tightly on her before stating simply, “Assistance required.”

“Wait wait wait, What do you mean by Network connection? What's a Shell Unit? Or a Generation Unit? Why are the power levels critical?” she stammered out quickly, So many questions, so little time! Was the loudest of the many thoughts racing through her head.

“Alert. Level Ten emergency declared. All non-essential queries halted until the situation has been resolved.” The orb spun around towards the door, slowly floating its way out into the corridor, “Please follow, this unit requires assistance to complete vital maintenance functions.”

Twilight followed, mainly because it seemed like the only way to get answers from the strange orb was to help it out. She trotted along behind it as it moved further into the tunnel, spouting the occasional error message.

Twilight wondered briefly if her friends were having as interesting a day as she was...

..//..

“Okay, how about this...ahem, 'Oh Twilight, your eyes sparkle with the light of a million suns, I wish that I could spend eternity gazing into those windows full of nothing but beauty and knowledge. If I could spend a thousand years contemplating your wonderfulness I would-'”

Applejack cut Rarity off, she really hoped she wasn't getting into the habit of doing that, “Eh, no offence meant sugarcube, but all of these seem a might....fru-fru-ey. They just don't sit well with me. They're mighty nice though, definitely on the right track.” Applejack smiled at her, hoping that she didn't just offend he friend.

“They are not fru-fru-ey.....well, maybe a little. And I suppose most of the subtle nuances of romance might be lost on Twilight.” Rarity said, scratching her chin.

“Whassat supposed to mean?” Applejack asked, oddly offended for reasons she couldn't quite identify.

“Well, you have to admit that Twilight, sweet as she is, is a little....oblivious to some things.”

“Hey....well...Actually yeah...yeah she is.” the farmer admitted, remembering all the times Rainbow had had to stop during a story of one of her 'conquests' to explain out an innuendo. Those times were awkward, doubly so when spike was still around.

A small jingling noise came from the entrance, a gaggle of mares sauntered in and started looking around at the dresses on display.

“Oh boo, customers. I'm afraid we'll have to cut this short dear, come by tomorrow with whatever you have and we can run through this some more.” Rarity smiled at Applejack, she had enjoyed the little brainstorming session with her friend, even if she may be a bit fussy about the wording, Rarity knew Applejack just wanted to do it right.

“Alright sugarcube, ah'm gonna go talk to 'Shy and then see if ah can't get at least a decent draft written out.” the farm pony rose, stretching out before moving to the door and bidding her fashionista friend farewell and heading out into the street.

She smiled as she moved along towards Fluttershy's cottage, she was starting to get a few ideas as to what she could put into the body of the text, some of Rarity's more fru-fru ideas could be co-opted into something more usable, and maybe Fluttershy would have some good ideas about what she could put into it.

After a few minutes of travel she found herself just on the edge of the Everfree forest. She forced back a shiver, despite living next to the place almost her entire life it still unsettled her, today it seemed to exude a very dark atmosphere. Almost like something terrible was about to happen. She shrugged it off, Yer' just worrying about Twilight, AJ. She'll be fine and you know it. She reassured herself.

A few moments later she was in front of Fluttershy's cottage, she had no idea how the pegasus managed to live so close to something that practically bled paranoia into the air. After a quick knock on the door, and a shouted reassurance to the butter coloured pegasus, she found herself sitting down at a table with her friend.

"Hey, where's Spike?" Applejack asked as she sat.

"He umm.....went into town. He wanted to watch a movie...I think.." Fluttershy replied.

"Hah, well let's hope he don't get thrown out again for being too young." Applejack smirked. The last time that had happened Spike spent the rest of the weak wearing platform shoes and trying to deepen his voice.

“So..um..what brings you here? Not that I was questioning if you should be here, you can stay! Or go....Whichever you want..” Fluttershy mumbled out, looking everywhere but at Applejack.

Applejack smiled gently, “Ah was, uh, hopin' you could give me a hoof coming up with ideas for a letter.”

“Oh..Oh! I remember Rarity telling me about that....What kind of stuff did you need help with?...if you don't mind me asking...”

“Heh, it's alright sugarcube. Well, ah've just been talkin' with Dash and Rares, an' ah got some ideas for most of it...” Applejack set about retelling her day to Fluttershy, who listened quietly with a small smile, and telling her the ideas she had about what to put into the main text of it.

Fluttershy scratched her chin for a moment and said, “That sounds nice...but..um...”

“But what 'Shy?”

“Umm...wouldn't it be easier to just...you know..say it? Plainly?...She might not...get it, from telling her what you like about her...” Fluttershy stared at the floor, scratching at it with a hoof.

“Ugh, ah don't know, Ah don't wanna look too forward, ah guess.” the farmer scratched her head, flushing slightly with embarrassment.

“Oh I don't think you would...it can be quite romantic to be a little forward anyway.....besides..I, umm, think that Twilight might like it stated clearly...she likes facts..but you don't have to if you don't want to...”

“No, no...ah think you might be on 'ta something there...Ah think I might just try writin' out something now...D'ya mind if ah use yer' table?”

“Oh no, go right ahead. I have to feed some of the animals now anyway, so I can give you some privacy... There's paper and a pencil or two in the bureau over there.” she indicated with a wing and quietly left the room. Applejack retrieved a few sheets, placing them on Fluttershy's table, and started to write.

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I ain't never been too good at this kinda thing, so I'm just gonna come out and say it....

..//..

Twilight was getting both increasingly annoyed and increasingly tired. 'Core Unit-002' had been a punishing taskmaster for what felt like hours. She and the orb had been going from room to room, across varying lengths of tunnels, and to various underground levels.

If she hadn't been so tired and focused on the various, seemingly inane, tasks she was being given she would have marvelled at the suggested size of the Bunker. Although many sections were blocked off by rubble, rust, decay or a lack of power, the sheer size of the place boggled her mind. She had idly calculated that you could fit the whole of Canterlot inside it, twice. With room to spare.

After flipping, re-flipping and flipping a set of switches for what felt like the thirteenth time, the orb announced, “Alert. Bunker Alpha operating at ten percent operational capacity. Alert. Further repairs impossible until Authority network is brought online.”

Twilight sighed and sat down, glad for a moment of rest. After a few minutes she decided to try her luck at getting a question answered. “Core Unit, what is this place?”

“Error. Data corrupt. Cannot retrieve information.”

“Ugh, fine. What is an Authority network?”

“Authority network: An Authority network is a vital function of all ERROR Bunkers.” Twilight winced as it shifted in tone to announce the error. “It facilitates connections between all Core Units and ERROR. Automated repair functions cannot begin until an Authority network is established.”

“Why?”

“Error. Data corrupt. Cannot retrieve information.”

Twilight groaned. I should have seen that coming. She thought to herself.

“Alert. Generation Unit Mourn-Gamma damaged. Possibility of overload: Ninety three percent.”

Twilight became immediately panicked, she knew enough of overloading machinery that she didn't have to fully understand that particular statement. “What? Can we stop it from overloading?”

“Self repair functions will be sufficient to prevent containment failure if activated within....Two hours, twelve minutes, thirty two seconds and counting.”

“Okay...That means we need to activate the Authority network right? How do we do that?”

The orb buzzed for a moment. “Please accompany this Unit. We shall take you to the Authority Annex.” It began floating its way out of the room and down towards the central elevator. As Twilight followed she was eternally grateful that the elevators were the first thing they reactivated.

After a short ride down they emerged into a very brightly lit room. The matte white colour of all visible surfaces did not help her eyes adjust to the brightness of the room. She squinted as she entered, looking around. The slightly worrisome thought creeped into her head that the room was eerily familiar of a surgery.

“So what do we do now?” She glanced around, unable to find anything that look like something she could activate.

“We create an Authority network.” The orb's eye-glyph switched to a deep blue.

“How?”

“We apologise for our forthcoming actions. They are necessary.” Twilight was about to question this statement when a sudden bolt of blue light hit her squarely in the head. She was unconscious before she had hit the floor.

..//..

In a little corner-shop bakery a pink earth pony was zipping around. She was having a lot of fun, experimenting with various new flavours and taste combinations for cupcakes. Even the ones that came out badly or burnt were new flavours and textures to try. She was about to test her new blend of hot sauce, cream cheese and candy corn when she was interrupted by her body behaving strangely.

Her back right hoof burned for two seconds, her left eye itched, her tail shaked and her hair switched between drooping and its usual poofiness five times.

When her body's spasms had calmed down Pinkie Pie whispered two words. Worry and fear dripping from her voice.

“Oh no....”

..//..

Twilight awoke groggily. She felt drained, physically and magically. She moaned and tried to sit up.

A cold metal strap prevented that from occurring, her eyes shot open. As far as she could see, she was in some form of cylindrical chamber, matte white and far too brightly lit. She was held in place by several metal clamps, her legs forcibly parted and held in place.

She looked around, she was being suspended in the air by a series of restraints. It made it difficult for her too look around behind her or above her. The bright white floor below her had only one feature, which chilled her to the bone. The floor was sloped towards a drain.

She tried to summon enough magic to grab her bonds and loosen them, but her limited reserves not only prevented her from doing much, but she felt what little magic she could summon drain away. It was then she noticed a cold, tight presence on her horn. She began to panic.

Thrashing around did nothing, the restraints were too tight. Hyperventilating did nothing, it rarely did anything other than feel like the thing to do. Shouting produced an actual result. A staticy male voice chimed in.

“Please remain calm. Unnecessary movement may cause unwanted damage to biological components.” Unit-002's voice came in with a burst of static. Twilight took the only available response. She yelled at it to let her go.

“We apologise. We cannot comply.”

“Why?!?” she begged, tears forming in her eyes.

“You have been selected. You will become the Authority.”

Something behind Twilight's head began buzzing. Twilight felt displaced wind lap at her neck. It's coolness made her shiver.

“Alert. Medical reserves low. Unable to administer anaesthetic. We apologise for the inconvenience.” the lack of inflection to it's voice caused the statement to sound cold. Clinical.

“No, please! Let me go! Please don't do this!” She yelled, tears beginning to cascade down her cheeks.

“Initiating procedure. Alert. Do not move.”

Twilight heard the buzzing get closer, she tried to move, which caused a clamp around her head to tighten, holding her in place. She felt something touch the back of her head for the briefest moment, then she felt the flesh just above her neck twist and tear away. Muscles ripped and parted as something metallic drilled into her head. She felt the buzz resound in her skull as the drill hit bone.

She screamed.

..//..

Applejack was happy. She had managed to get down the first draft of the letter relatively quickly, stuffing it under her hat while she travelled back through Ponyville. Tomorrow she would go through it with the girls, see what they thought and try to make it as good as possible. The sun was getting low in the sky, and she was surprisingly tired from the day's activities.

She was about to turn down the dirt path leading to Sweet Apple Acres when Pinkie pie appeared out of nowhere, as she was wont to do. Applejack was about to offer a greeting when Pinkie uttered three words which landed three Tom sized boulders right into the pit of her stomach.

“Twilight's in trouble!”