• Published 13th Apr 2013
  • 558 Views, 9 Comments

Growing Up: Applejack's Journey - TropicalOasis



A young Applejack, excited to finally help out in her family's business, meets a friend who will change her life forever. Follow Applejack's journey, as she meets her friends, grows up, and becomes the mare she was meant to be.

  • ...
0
 9
 558

The Beginning

The serene, dewy April sunlight shone on the sleepy town, illuminating it with an embrace of warmth. The uncharacteristically warm day welcomed the ponies of Ponyville into a preview of a summer day, and the mares and stallions of the town rubbed the sleep out of their eyes and stood to accept the sun's embrace.

The day provided a rare opportunity to enjoy the early sunlight, and the town began to stir and hum. Market day was upon them, and those who woke early rushed to set up their booths, and awaited the hordes of customers.

Applejack sat up in bed, after hearing the rooster crow. The eager filly hadn't slept a wink, in anticipation of her first time running the Apple family's stall. She glanced outside, to the sunrise peeking over the mountains, a watercolor painting in her window frame. The orange filly yawned, stretched, and bounded out of bed. She stopped by the door to plunk a too-big Stetson on her head, then bolted out of her bedroom.

"Mornin' Granny, Big Mac, Applebloom," she whispered. The butter-yellow foal in her grandmother's arms lay sleeping, and she didn't want to wake her up.

Granny Smith looked up at her. "Mornin' Applejack. You sure you're ready for such a big job?" She asked.

"Yes sirree. Ah've been waitin' for this long as ah can remember." She glanced down at her flank and smiled. Standing out boldly on her coat were three ruby colored apples, a gift from destiny she had received not too long ago. "Doncha' think, Big Macintosh?"

The rich red colt sat in a corner of the room. Always a pony of few words, his simple response was "Eeyup."

"Alrighty. Let's getta move on then." She adjusted the Stetson, which had fallen over her eyes, hugged her granny goodbye, and ran outside.

"C'mon, Big Macintosh! We can't be late now!" she called, running down the path. She glanced back at him, pulling the cart of Apple family wares. "Oh. Alrighty," she mumbled, remembering how heavy it was. She fell into step alongside her brother.

"Wha' was yer first day runnin' the stand like?" she asked.

"Busy. Fun, I s'pose." Big Macintosh adjusted the stalk of wheat in his mouth and continued his steady plod down the dirt road.

Applejack glanced at him, a little bit shocked. He rarely said anything besides "Eeyup" or "Nope."

"Well, I guess it wasn' a yes or no question," she thought to herself. They walked in silence for a while. Just before another question escaped Applejack's lips, they came upon Ponyville. Though Applejack came to school here, she didn't really spend time with the town fillies. Mostly, she stuck with Carrot Top, who worked on a farm outside of town, like her.

She saw her friend coming into town with her parents. "Hiya, Carrot Top!" she called to the orange-maned filly. Carrot Top waved, and returned the greeting. Applejack ran to catch up with Big Macintosh, who had begun to pull the cart to its designated spot. Excitedly, she began to pull the goods off the cart and set up the stand.

A few minutes later, the stand was set up. Applejack released a happy sigh at the sight of the Sweet Apple Acres sign. It was finally about to happen. "You gonna do the shoppin'?" she called after her brother.

He turned to face her. "Eeyup," he replied showing her the list in his hoof.

"Seeya, Big Mac!" She turned to face the market and grinned. Her dream was about to begin.


The mid morning rush was coming in tidal waves. Residents of the town, who hadn't needed to get up early, were swarming the market, getting their groceries and swarming like bees in a hive. Applejack had fallen into a rhythm; Greet, assist, check out, remind to come again. Like clockwork. Applejack was sitting down, taking a much-needed rest, when a pastel yellow pegasus filly about her own age approached her.

"Um... I-I'd like to buy some apples, if you don't mind," she whispered, so quietly it was barely audible.

Applejack looked up. "Howdy! Thank ya' very much for choosin' us. What kinda' apples wouldja like today? Anythin' in partic'lar?"

The filly squeaked and hid behind her soft pink mane. "I-I'd like some... Um, R-red delicious, if thats ok. And two apple fritters, please."

Applejack gave her a concerned look. The poor thing was shivering. "Sure thing. The name's Applejack. Don't worry, I don't bite." She gave a reassuring smile.

A round, sea green eye appeared from behind the mane. "I-I'm F-Fluttershy." She gave a small, nervous smile.

"Nice to meetcha, Fluttershy." Quickly, she put together Fluttershy's order and helped put it in her saddlebag. "Anythin' else I can help y'all with?"

"Um... Yes, there is one thing," She whispered. "I'm new here. I moved from Cloudsdale." Fluttershy rustled her wings slightly. "I don't know anypony, and I don't know my way around much. You're the first friend I've made. C-could you help me?"

"O'course, Sugarcube. Where are you livin'?" Applejack inquired.

"Out by the forest. With my animals." She gestured slightly to the cutie mark adorning her flank. A trio of pink and green butterflies graced her yellow coat. "I take care of them. That's how I got this."

Applejack glanced at the clock. It was nearing noon, time for her lunch break. "Tell y'all what. Let's go grab some lunch, then I'll show y'all around a bit."

Now both eyes emerged, and a real smile appeared on Fluttershy's lips. "Okay. I'd like that."

Applejack changed the sign on the stall to CLOSED, and the two new friends left the market and trotted down the road. They talked and laughed, setting the foundation for a wonderful friendship that would last a lifetime.

Author's Note:

My first Fimfic!
I really hoped you liked it. If you did, please follow me, because there will be more where that came from!
Thanks for reading!

-Tropical Oasis