• Published 8th Apr 2013
  • 1,171 Views, 1 Comments

What you asked for - HeartShieldFiM



Pony friends tell each other about their past lives, sometimes shocking their friends.

  • ...
 1
 1,171

Fluttershy

The little pink pony sat down on the chair her friend had pointed at. She looked up and smiled a sad smile, trying to cheer herself up by looking at the grin of the giant dragon-like being.
He smiled back and stroke her fluffy mane. 'You don't have to tell me if you don't want to,' he said, as he saw the sad look on his friend's face.
The pink pony shook her head. 'You asked for this,' she said. 'I'm fine with telling you.'
'Pinkie!' a voice suddenly said. The two ponies turned around to see a third, yellow pony standing in the doorway of Sugarcube Corner.
The yellow pony immediately bow down her head and blushed. 'I-I'm sorry,' she muttered. 'I didn't mean to interrupt you...'
'No, no,' Pinkie said. 'We're... it's no problem.'
Fluttershy was still surprised how Pinkie's giant friend fitted into the tiny pastry-cook-shop. Of course, he had to bow if he stepped through the door, and he didn't even could go up the stairs without breaking anything, but still.
Discord wasn't a great fan of body-bending. Well, not with his own body. He totally enjoyed bending other ponies, and Pinkie Pie was the only pony enjoying it as well.

Once, he painted her white and yellow and gave her wings. It took about five minutes for Pinkie to find out how to use them and by then, she was a more skilled flyer than Rainbow Dash.
Sadly, the effect wore off after a day.

'Were you talking about something I shouldn't know?' Fluttershy asked.
Discord shook his head. 'No, not at all,' he said. 'Shall I pour you some tea?'
'Yes please,' the yellow pony said, and smiled shyly.
Discord snapped his fingers and a cute tea pot appeared. It walked over the small wooden table, and started leaking tea.
'No, no...' the draconequus muttered. 'Over hére.'
Three tea cups spawned next to the tea pot. The tea pot seemed to look up, noticed the cups and, without spilling a single drop, served everypony some tea.
Pinkie Pie clapped her hooves in surprise. 'I thought you didn't use magic anymore?' she asked.
Discord sighed. 'Princess Celestia told me not to use my magic for BAD, remember? How could a cup of tea be bad?'
Fluttershy sniffed at the tea. 'Hmm, what kind of tea is this, Discord?'
'My own... brew...' the draconequus said. 'I uh...'
Pinkie took a sip of her tea. 'Oh, this is... wow.'
'Delicious?' Discord asked.
'More than delicious!' Fluttershy said, way louder than she meant. She immediately covered her mouth with a napkin.
'Thought so,' the draconequus muttered, and smiled sadly.
Pinkie looked at him. 'What's up, Discord?' she asked, concerned about her oversized best friend.
Discord shook his head. 'It's... well, nopony ever liked the things I did,' he said.
'Except for Pinkie with the chocolate rain,' Fluttershy said softly.
'Except for Pinkie, indeed,' the draconequus repeated. 'But... now I conjured some delicious tea and here, actually TWO ponies are enjoying it!'
Pinkie grabbed her friend's lion claw and held it. 'It's alright,' she said. 'The other ponies will start liking your magic too, I'm sure!'
'Really?' Discord asked.
'Really,' Pinkie said, and even Fluttershy nodded.
'You are just too kind,' the giant dragon-like pony muttered.

For a while, the three ponies sat around the pink table, sipping their tea and wandering in their own thoughts. Then
Fluttershy said, 'I don't want to sound impolite, but may I ask what you were talking about when I stormed in?'
'That's not impolite, Fluttershy,' Discord said, stretching his wings. 'Maybe a bit discourteous, but not impolite.'
'Isn't that the same?' Pinkie asked, but then shrugged. 'Discord asked me how I ended up on the rock farm, and why I didn't look like my sisters at all. I thought it was about time to tell him the truth.'
Fluttershy tilted her head. 'The truth? You mean, the... thing... with the Rainboom?'
The pink mare shook her head. 'No. The truth I have kept for myself all these years.'
'There's another story?' her friend Fluttershy asked surprised.
Pinkie finally let go of Discord's hand and nodded. 'You'll find out,' she said. 'I'll tell you both. I promise.'
Fluttershy looked at Pinkie and felt a bit worried. The last time she saw her friend like this, she had to work at the Apple farm with no memories of partying or fun at all.
'If uh... if it'd make you feel better, I can tell you a story of my past... if you want...' the Pegasus offered, in hope that it would make it easier for Pinkie Pie to tell about her life on the Pie rock farm.
The cotton candy pony shrugged again and said, 'Sure, if you want to... go 'head.'
Fluttershy smiled, happy that she could do something for her friend, and started.

'Y'know, when I was a filly, I was very shy,' she said.
Pinkie rolled her eyes. 'Lemmeguess, and a very weak flyer?'
Fluttershy clapped her hooves. 'Hooray, you remembered!' she said. 'Yeah, I was horrible at flying.
This isn't my cutie mark story, by the way. I guess you already know that one. This is about my high school experiences.
When I was a filly, Rainbow Dash accidentally pushed me over the egde of a cloud while defending my honour. And she did, because she did an amazing Sonic Rainboom and she won the race, but that's not the story I'm telling you...'
'Is this a sad story?' Discord asked, interrupting Fluttershy. 'Because I'm not really the one for sad stories, you know.'
'Well, too bad for you,' Pinkie Pie replied. 'My story sucks.'
Fluttershy blushed. 'Maybe... a little bit... Y'know... after I learned about the ground, I didn't want to go back to Cloudsdale. My parents then decided to send me to live with my aunt and my cousin, Cloud Breaker, who lived on the ground. They both were very nice to me, especially Cloud. But sadly, she didn't go to the same school as me. Since I couldn't really... fly, you know, I had to go to another school. Not one in Cloudsdale, one in Canterlot...'
'...You were raised in Canterlot?' Pinkie asked surprised.
Fluttershy smiled and nodded. 'I indeed am from Canterlot,' she said, in a way too fancy tone.
Discord frowned and said, 'I remember a Pegasus with pink hair walking through the Royal Statue Garden about twice a week. Could've been you.'
'Oh, I'm sure it was me,' Fluttershy replied. 'Accompanied by my niece, I have strolled through that garden for hours and hours. It was so... quiet and peaceful. No racing, no shouting, just statues and nature.'
'Why, yes. The peace and harmony was sickening, wasn't it?' Discord jokingly said.
Fluttershy and Pinkie giggled.
'Please, continue,' the pink pony said, and so did Fluttershy.
'With Cloud Breaker at my side, I was a lot more outgoing. Sometimes, I even enjoyed having conversations in groups!' Fluttershy said, glowing with pride. 'But then, after a while of getting usedto my surroundings, I had to go to school.
So aunt Thunder Cloud sent me to Canterlot's Magic School.'
'Magic school?' Pinkie asked. 'But you're a Pegasus!'
Her friend smiled. 'Yeah, about half of the ponies at school were not a unicorn,' she said. 'It was fine. Unicorns got extra classes, and this meant I had a lot less school than I used to have up in Cloudsdale.'
'Is that good or bad?' Discord asked.
Fluttershy sighed. 'It was good. I... I mean... I kinda got bullied at school. Well, no. Not kinda. They were chasing me all the time, casting spells on me so I'd grow an extra pair of wings or made my coat turn blue... it was horrible...'
Pinkie wrapped an arm around her friend. 'Hay, it's okay...' she said.
Fluttershy shook her head. 'No, it was... it wasn't, okay? I dunno why I was the laughing stock. Maybe because I am so shy...'
'...Or because you're kind?' Discord said.
Pinkie Pie nodded in agreement. 'Yeah, the kindest ponies are mostly the ones who are getting picked on.'
Her yellow friend looked up. 'Really?' she said.
'Oh, yes,' the draconequus replied. 'The nicer you are, the easier you are to bully. According to your stories, you were veeeery nice back then. You still are, by the way.'
'Thanks,' Fluttershy whispered, and smiled again. 'Well, about then, I met Angel.'
'How?' Pinkie Pie asked. Discord curled a strand of Pinkie's hair around his finger and pulled a little bit to hard. Pinkie frowned and Discord quickly let go of her hair.
Fluttershy didn't seem to notice it and told the ponies about her meeting with Angel. 'I was wandering around the Statue Garden again, but without Cloud Breaker this time. She was at school at that moment, if I remember correctly...'
Fluttershy squinted and thought for a moment. Pinkie used that moment for pulling at one of Discord's ears as a revenge. Then, the pale yellow pony resumed her story. 'Yeah, and then I saw this giant hawk flying over. I was stunned, because nature is such a wonderful thing. I couldn't keep my eyes off this huge bird and then... it dove down, into the bushes. I kept looking at those bushes in case he'd come out again, but then I saw this very tiny white bunny hopping out of the green. He looked very... scared, I think. The hawk got out of the bushes and was holding a larger bunny in his claws. It was a horrible sight. The bunny, of course, was dead, and the hawk would probably feed its babies with it.'

What Fluttershy didn't tell, was how sick she felt when she saw the poor, brown rabbit looking down for the last time, its eyes half opened, probably knowing what would happen. She felt sorry for the rabbit, but it's just the way Mother Nature works.

'That wasn't Angel, right?' Pinkie Pie asked.
'Oh, no,' Fluttershy quickly said. 'It was his mother.'
Pinkie's eyes widened and even Discord looked a bit stunned.
'Woah, what happened then?' the pink pony asked, eager to hear the end of the story.
Fluttershy looked at her tea cup, which still was half full. 'Well, the tiny bunny looked at his mother, hanging dead in the claws of a giant monstrous... oh, it must've been traumatizing for him!'
'So that's why he is such a plothole all the time,' Discord said, more to himself than to the other ponies.
'Oh, he's actually really nice, if you get to know him,' the Pegasus quickly replied. 'I decided he should live with me, since his mother had died. Poor Angel, his family was killed right before his eyes...'
Pinkie was astonished. 'I... I didn't even know that...' she said. 'Poor Angel indeed, how did he like living with you in the beginning?'
'He was mad at me about everything,' Fluttershy said. 'I think he kind of blamed me for staring at the bird, instead of scaring it away.'
Discord snapped his fingers and a nice, orange-iced cupcake appeared. It had a marzipan carrot on top. 'Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and I have been baking carrot cakes today. Would you please take one home for your Angel-bunny?'
Fluttershy smiled. 'I sure will,' she said. 'That is so kind of you, to think about poor little Angel!'
Discord rolled his eyes. 'Erm, thanks,' he said.
Suddenly, Fluttershy jumped up from her chair. 'Oh, dear Celestia!' she said. 'Look at the time! I have to go home and feed Angel, how could I forget?'
Before Pinkie and Discord could say goodbye, Fluttershy had fluttered out of the store, with a wonderful and delicious carrot cupcake.

Pinkie patted Discord's lion hand. 'You're really starting to blend in here,' she said. 'Sorta. I think we should... make the ceiling a bit higher. Just for you.'
'Nah,' the draconequus replied, and snapped his fingers. He immediately shrunk to half his size and smiled. 'I think I'm fine this way.'
'Come on, silly,' Pinkie said. 'We need to clean up the kitchen before the Cakes get back home.'
As they walked to the kitchen, Discord asked, 'So when are you gonna tell me your life story?'
His friend shrugged. 'When I think the time is right, Discord. Soon enough.'

Author's Note:

Keep calm and flutter on.