• Published 8th Apr 2013
  • 2,322 Views, 67 Comments

On the Fields of Trenzalore - ElderJones



When the TARDIS crash lands in Equestria, the Doctor doesn't know that he will meet his destiny there.

  • ...
7
 67
 2,322

The Silent Foe

The Doctor felt a jolt run through his body as the carriage landed. He could not see out of the carriage, but from the subtle change of lighting he assumed that he was indoors. He decided that he was probably in the castle in Canterlot.

He felt himself being lifted out of the carriage and thrown onto the floor. His nose broke as he landed face first. He felt his throat loosen, and he relished a long, yet painful, breath through his nose. He felt his binds being released, and he was at last able to open his mouth. He saw Twilight being released. She collapsed to the ground, panting through sobs. For a moment the Doctor could have sworn that Celestia had a horrified expression on her face, but it was gone immediately, replaced with a cold look. Strangely, he found himself suddenly holding a black pen. That was odd - he didn't remember getting it out.

"Take them into the dungeons," Celestia ordered.

Twilight was incredibly weak, and had trouble walking. The Doctor supported her as best he could, but he was not quite strong enough to lift her. The guards made no attempt to help, and simply kicked them whenever they started to fall behind. As they walked, the Doctor could hear some of what Celestia was saying.

"-order the headsman-"

This was worrying. He had been hoping that Celestia would want to keep him alive and question him about his knowledge. It seemed that he had been wrong. Twilight's eyes widened, leading the Doctor to believe that she had heard as well.

They eventually arrived at an empty cell, and the Doctor and Twilight were thrown in. There was a rumble as the door was locked, and then the guards walked away, leaving Twilight and the Doctor alone.

"Doctor, what's going to happen to us?" asked Twilight, shuddering.

"I don't know," the Doctor answered. He was trying to think of a way out of the situation, but he couldn't come up with anything.

Suddenly, he noticed something on his arm. He rolled up his sleeve to see what it was. What he saw explained everything. On his arm were two short, black, parallel lines. The kind of parallel lines made by the pen he had been holding earlier. This could only mean one thing.

He needed to remember.

Of course they would be here. This was Trenzalore, the very place they had sworn to keep him from. The Silence had made Celestia bring the Doctor here, in order to have him killed. The only question was, why Twilight? What was the reason for bringing an innocent person into this?

The Doctor's thoughts were interrupted by a purple figure with a bulbous head and no mouth, wearing a suit.

"Greetings, Doctor," it said, in a raspy voice.

The Doctor quickly marked a third line on his arm. "So, I take it you're here to kill me?"

"You shall be executed tomorrow morning," said the silent, showing no emotion whatsoever.

"I thought so. But why her? Why are you bringing an innocent person into this?"

"To make sure you do not try to run. If you accept your fate, she will be spared. If not, she will share your fate. You have never been willing for innocents to pay the price of your actions. You would not try to escape, knowing that she will die if you do."

The silent was right. He couldn't try to escape now.

"However, we had hoped she would not be necessary," the silent added.

"What?"

"We thought that you might come to the realisation that this is necessary. The question must never be answered. Do you not understand that?"

The Doctor understood. He had hoped that he could find a way to avoid the question, but inside he knew that it wasn't worth the risk. He had been running for too long. His death was the only way to ensure the safety of the Universe.

"I understand."

"Good. We shall be watching the execution, in case you change your mind. You know what will happen if you try to escape. You will not remember this conversation, but you will remember what you must do, and what will happen if you try to run. Goodbye, Doctor." The Silent vanished in a flash of light.

* * *

Nothing interesting happened while the Doctor and Twilight waited in their cell. Twilight had stayed in a foetal position on the floor, while the Doctor had paced across the room. He did not know why, but he knew that he would be executed, and that Twilight would be executed as well if he tried to escape. There was no way that he could have gained this information, but he just... knew.

Suddenly, there was a loud creak as the cell door was opened. A guard entered the cell.

"You," the guard barked, "come with me."

The Doctor slowly walked towards the door. He knew what was coming. His time was up.

"I want to come too," said Twilight suddenly. The Doctor and the guard were both taken aback.

"You don't want to see this," the Doctor said. Nobody should have to see what was about to happen.

"Please, I want to see this thing pay for its crimes." The Doctor was shocked by Twilight's sudden change. Why would she hate him all of a sudden? Then he came to a realisation.

The Silence have turned her against me, thought the Doctor. Perhaps it was for the best. If everybody hated him, nobody would be affected by his death. It was better this way.

"I'll be right back," said the guard, before leaving the dungeon to check with Celestia. He returned shortly. "Okay, you can come."

"Thank you," said Twilight with a smile.

The Doctor and Twilight followed the guard outdoors, onto a platform. On the platform was a block with a semicircle hole cut in it. Next to it was a yellow earth pony stallion wearing a black hood and carrying an axe. They appeared to be in an arena of sorts, with seating above the platform. The seating was full of ponies. On a balcony stood Celestia.

"You can watch from here," said the guard to Twilight. Then, to the Doctor, he said, "move towards the block.

As the Doctor approached the block, Celestia stood up.

"We are here today to execute this dangerous creature. It was found in Ponyville, where it took over the mind of Twilight Sparkle. It was then captured and brought here. It is a danger to Equestria!" Celestia's words were followed by cheers from the crowd. The Doctor glanced back at Twilight, who was smiling. She looked happy to see the Doctor go.

"We will now commence the execution."

The Doctor felt himself being pushed down as he was forced onto the block. This is it, he thought. The executioner raised his axe. The Doctor closed his eyes, waiting for the blow...

...which never came. The Doctor opened his eyes. He was no longer in the arena. He was in a forest. The trees were thick, and he could here howling in the distance. Twilight was next to him, laying on the ground and panting.

"What just happened?" asked the Doctor.

"I just teleported us out of Canterlot," replied Twilight. That explained why she looked so exhausted.

"So when you said wanted to watch, you just wanted to get close enough to me to perform the spell?"

"Yes." Twilight expected the Doctor to be glad.

"What did you do that for?!" shouted the Doctor.

"W-what?" Twilight didn't understand.

"If you'd just let me die, the problem would have been averted!"

"But I didn't know!" pleaded Twilight.

The Doctor sighed. "It's all right. But now the question may be answered.

"The question."

The Doctor hadn't meant to mention about his name, but he had no choice now. "There's a prophecy, about me. It says that "On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall the the Eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked, a question that must never be answered."

"What's the question?" Twilight asked.

"Doctor Who?"

"Your name is that important?"

"Apparently. That's why my death would have saved you all. I'm the only one alive who knows my name."

"So what now?"

"I suppose I'll have to find out why my name is so dangerous and put a stop to it."

"Well then, let's go."

"Wait, you can't come."

"Why not?"

"It's far too dangerous!"

"Doctor, you need help. Who knows what could happen? This is too important to do alone. Besides, I know this place."

"I suppose. But I can't guarantee your safety. Or your survival."

"This is too important to let that get in the way."

"All right then. We should get started. Where are we, anyway?"

"This is the Everfree Forest. Its the last place they'll think to look for us. But it's kinda weird."

"What's so strange about it?"

"Well, the clouds move by themselves, and there are all sorts of dangerous creatures."

"Clouds moving by themselves, I'm used to. Dangerous animals could be a problem. We should be careful."

"Yes. So where do you think we should look?"

"I don't know. Perhaps we should-"

There was a loud crash as the Doctor was knocked over by a large, wolf-like creature. The Doctor rolled to the side and jumped up. Looking at the creature, he saw that it was made almost entirely out of wood.

"Timberwolf!" shrieked Twilight, "run!"

So they did.

Author's Note:

And another cliffhanger ending. It just seems like the best way to end a chapter.