• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 600 Views, 6 Comments

The Call to Harmony - AppleBandit



An adventure that begins with the Crystal Empire under attack soon unravels to become far more than what it seemed as Twilight Sparkle and her friends must fight for Equestria and each other.

  • ...
1
 6
 600

Chapter II: Journey to the Forest

THE CALL TO HARMONY

II

"I still don't know why we had to leave so soon," Fluttershy said as she and her friends made their way down a dirt road. Ponyville was a dot on the horizon and the sun was just beginning its climb down. Twilight turned back from looking at a map she'd had in front of her and gave Fluttershy a reassuring smile.

"Because, Princess Celestia wanted us to investigate, and that's just what we're going to do," she answered before returning to her map, leading the way for the group.

"Sweetie, I know you're nervous, but look at the bright side," Rarity said, slowing down a little to get next to Fluttershy. "The last time we went to the Forest we didn't know the way. At least this time we know what to look out for and where to go."

"She's right Fluttershy," Applejack said with a grin. "Ya'll are in th' safest place ya can be right here with us, sugarcube."

Fluttershy lightened up a bit and nodded as they continued down the path. Twilight rolled up the map and place it in her saddlebag with a bit of a frown. The path through the hills would soon come to the same tunnel they'd come to the first time they took this road to the changeling kingdom.

The journey was filled with idle conversation about Twilight's birthday being celebrated when they returned, as well as Pinkie going on about the great surprises she had lined up for her. There was laughter and merriment out of the six friends as the ground beneath them rolled on. The sun was still sinking steadily towards the horizon as the sky began to glow in a mild orange.

Soon the towering entrance to the mines came into view. It looked somehow different though. As they came to a stop, Twilight moved towards the tall, carved stone and put a hoof against an ornate pattern etched into it. Looking it over, she could barely make out a few symbols that looked like a language of sorts. Her head canted to one side before looking up to the carved statue of a dog grimacing at the world around it.

"We should really get going, Twilight," Rainbow Dash said as she fluttered down next to her.

"Rainbow Dash, does this entrance look different to you since the last time we came here?" Twilight asked, pointing up towards the ornate archway that made up the mine's entrance. Rainbow stared up towards the stonework and rubbed her chin.

"...This is a trick question, right?"

"No."

"I dunno, Twilight, it looks like the entrance we used last time," Rainbow said with a roll of her eyes and a shrug.

Twilight stared at it a bit longer before feeling Rainbow Dash poke at her side. Hesitantly, she nodded and began towards the cave entrance. With a whistle, Rainbow roused the others to stand and follow.

Even from the gaping entrance of the cave one could smell the dank, still air. Inside, however, was a totally different story. The mine smelled as though the air had never once been outside for a stroll. It was a time capsule for smells and dust. The ground was littered with bones and tools that both looked to have been long abandoned by their owners.

The darkness of the cave was beginning to gather as they pressed onward. Twilight and Rarity lit their horns with magic to push it back and see the path that lay before them carved in the rough surrounding stone. Twilight frowned a little, narrowing her eyes to try to see past the light their magic provided. Her ears perked up, trying to make out anything that might indicate danger before finally she spoke.

"Girls, this isn't the same way we came last time, this is different, I know it," she said, slowing down a little.

"It does seem kinda scarier this time 'round," Applejack said, her eyes moving about the walls.

"I don't remember it being this dark," Pinkie said as the group began to migrate towards one another. Their pace slowed once more, feeling as though the walls were closing in on them. The light that came from their horns almost seemed as though it were being swallowed by the darkness that surrounded them.

They trekked onward despite the unease. Even Fluttershy continued on, even if she were wedged in the middle of their group and being pushed along. The path snaked beneath their feet until suddenly there was a pale light against the walls of the mine ahead. Turning along the path, they could see a chamber that sprawled outward. A hole in the ceiling granted them the light of the falling sun to at least see a bit. The chamber was a brilliant orange hue as the six of them could finally breathe, thankful to be away from the ghastly tunnel they had passed through.

Another sound came to their ears as they looked about their new surroundings. Running water echoed around them. Twilight brought out her map and stared at it curiously. She saw no indication of a river that ran through the mountains which made further questions arise. Planting a hoof on her chin, she rolled up the map and set her gaze now to the bigger question. Which way to go.

The light of day was slowly fading and there only seemed to be three options. All three of the paths seemed as though they would eventually lead into an exit, but the darkness of the three seemed just as eerie as the tunnel they'd just left. She set her jaw in thought, trying to figure out the better path as Rarity lit her horn up again and moved towards the paths.

"We could split up again," Rarity said as she peered into the left path.

"No way, remember what happened last time?" Rainbow asked as she flew next to Rarity, crossing her hooves with a frown.

"I agree, no splitting up," Fluttershy squeaked as she tried to stay in the light that was fading as best she could.

"Well how in the hay are we s'posed to know which of these is th' way out?" Applejack asked turning her gaze to Twilight, hoping she might have the answer.

"We'll just have to try one and see where it takes us," Twilight said with a bit of a sigh. She'd wished there were a better option, but splitting up the last time ended poorly and to her there would be no reliable way of checking other than cracking on. Illuminating her horn, she joined Rarity's side at the left tunnel and nodded. The group huddled back together as the last bit of light faded from the chamber and they moved into the dark tunnel.

The magical light once again seemed to be devoured by darkness, the group barely able to see the rock walls around them. The only sound to accompany them in the dark was the same low droning sound of rushing water. As they continued, it almost sounded as though it were coming from above them as the tunnel snaked. The air seemed to have the smell of moisture mixed with dirt when Rarity yelped, startling them all.

"Oh, this is simply awful!" she cried.

"What's wrong, what happened?" Twilight asked, frantically looking about.

"There is mud everywhere!" Rarity exclaimed. "It was one thing when it was just dry and dusty, now it's all icky!"

"C'mon now gal," Applejack said bumping Rarity a little. "No one said this here was gonna be a walk in th' park."

Rarity squirmed from being pushed further into the thick mud but continued despite her trepidation. The group was moving again, the sound of water sounding as though it were getting closer. Reflections of the light could be seen in small streams of water that ran along the walls and from puddles that had gathered in small pits along the side of the carved path. The water everywhere began to make Twilight wonder if this was part of the reason these shafts seemed to be abandoned and in even worse shape than the ones they had seen previously.

Her musing was cut short, however as Rarity stopped and she continued straight into a solid mound of rocks. Staggering back, she looked up at the rocks that now blocked their way. The sound of water stronger now as the group turned back to one another, sharing worried looks.

"Great, now what?" Rainbow Dash asked with a frown.

"We could try to go back," Twilight said.

"Yeah, how long's that gonna take?" Rainbow scoffed.

"Perhaps we can clear it away," Rarity said. "If we're lucky the cave in won't be too terrible."

"I don't think we have much choice," Applejack said with a nod.

Twilight stepped towards the cave in as Rarity moved closer to it, illuminating it for her. Twilight's horn sparked with magic as one by one the rocks began to move away from the cave in. First the smaller ones marched by, followed by larger and larger rocks. Twilight continued on, straining slightly as each bit of the cave was cleared up. Soon they had a path to follow once more.

Twilight's horn dissipated as the magic soon faded back to a simple light. Letting out a sigh, she wiped a bit of sweat from her brow and smiled back to her friends. Happily, they pat her on the back in congratulations before huddling back together and moving on. The darkness seemed to stretch on forever as drops of water fell on them, passing beneath where the cave in occurred. Bits of rocks also fell with the water around them which gave them pause.

In unison they turned their gaze back towards the ceiling. It seemed like more water was pouring out than before as rocks crumbled and cracked. Twilight's eyes widened as the tunnel they were in started to shake. Her mind pieced it all together. The cave in, why this tunnel wasn't as developed as the others and most importantly the mistake she had just made in clearing up the rocks.

"Run!" Twilight shouted as her friends followed her example and did just that. Their hooves beat furiously on the rock floor beneath them as Rarity and Twilight both tried to stay ahead of the pack to light their way. Around them the furious sound of rushing water began to echo as well as the cracking of rock. Behind them it sounded like an explosion as rock gave way to mother nature's furious torrent.

Twilight looked back for only a moment, for that was more than enough for her to see the tidal wave hot on their heels. She ran faster than she'd ever run before, certain her friends had never run so fast either. The water gained on them, nipping at their hooves, flooding the tunnel. Suddenly, Fluttershy yelped behind them, being picked up by the torrent of water. Pinkie was the next to go, but instead of yelping it was more a giggling and a joyous cheer, indicating just how fun it all was to her.

The rush of water was soon too much, scooping the group into its rampant fury. They screamed and tried to hold on to one another as best they could as the water flung them about the tunnel. The light from Rarity and Twilight did little to show them where the water was taking them. Spiraling out of control they clung to each other with hoof and teeth, trying with all their might to not let go of one another.

Up ahead, however, the pale light of the moon could be seen coming in. The outside world lay just ahead of them. Relief didn't stay for long with them as they realized they had no idea where they were coming out and that the tops of the trees seemed rather strangely at eye level. Panic settled back in as they clung to one another before Rainbow Dash burst out of the water trying to fly ahead of the water.

Fluttershy was the first to be scooped out as she beat her wings furiously, trying to keep up. They then reached down for Twilight and nabbed her out of the water. The entrance was coming up swiftly, only further confirming the fact that they were quite a ways from the ground below. Quickly, Rarity wrapped herself around Twilight's waist followed by Applejack and Pinkie Pie who climbed onto Applejack's shoulders and wailed with a smile on her face over how fun this was all going to be.

The side of the mountains they were coming out exploded from the sheer amount of water trying to pass through the whole. Erupting in a waterfall, the six of them emerged, hurtling towards the trees in a mixture of panic and laughter. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy strained to keep the other four in the air but were quickly losing altitude. The ground was approaching far too fast for Rainbow's liking before her eyes caught a vine attached to a tree.

Without thinking, she grabbed it in her teeth. The vine slipped down before going taught and sending the six of them to skirt along the ground as Rainbow let go. The six hit the ground, skidding along and spreading out like bowling pins. The group lay still and panting from the rush of excitement they'd just had, soaked to the bone.

"Is everypony okay?" Applejack asked which was met by a unified groan, save for Pinkie Pie.

"I'm better than okay!" she exclaimed sitting up and waving her hooves around in the air excitedly. "I wanna do it again! That was so much fun! Oh please tell me we can go on the ride again! I mean at first it was scary, but then it was all zoom, whee, pow and then bam!"

Pinkie laughed and snorted to herself as the others slowly rose and counted their various bits to make sure they were still attached.

"Nice catch with that vine, Rainbow," Twilight said, her bones crackling as she stretched herself out.

"Not the best landing I've ever had involving a vine," Rainbow Dash replied, rubbing her head tenderly.

One by one they stood, their attention now turned to the trees that surrounded them. The air seemed thicker than it was in the mine, the smell of ozone hanging densely. The branches that served as their ceiling now were crooked and jutted above at harsh angles. The six ponies mustered their strength and continued into the dark woods.

A low fog rolled slowly along the forest floor, only moving out of the way from their hoof falls. The odd sound of creatures in the night echoed through the still air. A chill ran up their spines with every caw and skittering sound. Their eyes darted around nervously, the unmistakable feeling of eyes on them, filling their hearts with dread. Twilight quietly brought her map back out and illuminated her horn a bit to see just exactly if she could pinpoint where they were.

A snapping twig sent Fluttershy flying towards Applejack, clinging to her back with chattering teeth.

"C'mon Fluttershy," Applejack said in a hushed tone. "Ain't nothin' out here to be scared of. Just some critters rustlin' th' branches."

Fluttershy loosened her grasp until another twig snapped in the darkness. Applejack wasn't certain if Fluttershy knew her own strength since it felt like a vice grip around her. She gave a gasp and plopped onto the ground.

"We don't have time for this, come on," Rainbow Dash said quietly, now pushing Fluttershy forward along with Applejack.

The noises continued as they made their way deeper into the forest. A distinct chill soon hit them, their pace slowing nearly to a crawl. The fog seemed thicker and the darkness seemed more alive as shadows moved just beyond their vision. The unease grew as they huddled together once again. Twilight had put her map away and was now concentrating on lighting their path with Rarity. Even with the light, though, they could barely see along the trail.

A twig snapping ahead of them gave them pause. The six friends peered into the darkness, trying to see just what was in front of them. Another snap came, closer this time and to the side of them. They could hear something walking around them. Something stalking them in the darkness of the forest.

"M-Maybe we should, keep g-going," Rarity whispered to the group.

"W-We sh-should, b-but I can't s-seem t-to move," Twilight managed as they shook in fear.

"C'mon, Twilight, we gotta keep going," Rainbow Dash said in her ear.

"Yes, do keep going," a deep voice whispered in Twilight's other ear.

She yelped and tumbled over, frantically looking around for what whispered in her ear. The whole group pressed their backs to one another, eyes trying to pierce the night. A laughter came on the air, distant and haunting. Twilight gulped, trying to get her heart out of her throat. The forest seemed still once more, no more sounds of woodland creatures or rustling, no more twigs snapping or leaves moving about. Only silence fell save the heavy breaths of the six terrified ponies.

"Wh-What happned to all th' noises?" Applejack asked.

"Whatever it is better show itself, this is getting annoying," Rainbow Dash said defiantly.

"Oh, I don't believe you would want that," the deep voice returned from the middle of them. Terror took them as they scattered into the darkness of the woods. Twilight could hear the distant screams of her friends as they all went running.

She didn't stop however, even when the screams started to fade out of earshot. She continued to run forward, dodging trees and leaping over fallen branches. It wasn't until a dead tree she hadn't seen tripped her that she stopped. Out of breath and matted with sweat, she looked around her from the dim glow of her horn. The realization that she was alone finally set in.

"Guys?!" she shouted into the night air desperately. "Can anypony hear me?!"

She continued to suck in air, trying to calm down. Every muscle in her body screamed in agony as she set the light of her horn out towards the darkness. Her eyes squinted, trying to see as much as she could. Trees as far as she could see, with no sign of a path or clearing. As she calmed, the eerie silence of the forest made itself known.

"Hello?!" she shouted again, turning this way and that in hopes to catch a glimpse of one of her friends. Setting herself down on the ground, she sulked and stared at the ground before the snapping of a twig behind her startled her. Her horn charged and sparked with purple magic before the face of her friend Applejack came into view.

"Thank goodness!" she exclaimed in relief. "I thought I would never find anypony."

Applejack nodded as Twilight turned and stared out into the dark forest. "Now we just need to find the oth-"

She couldn't complete the sentence as the sharp crack made her ears ring. Twilight crumpled into a ball on the forest floor and in her fading vision watched as Applejack's face morph into the hideous visage of a changeling. Before darkness enveloped her, she could feel herself being lifted from the ground and taken into the chilled night.


Twilight groaned as she stirred. The world to her was a very fuzzy and cold one. Her legs moved slowly, trying to focus on everything around her. All she could hear was muffled voices before the world finally came into focus. Stone walls surrounded her save for one side of iron bars. She groaned again, this time out of frustraton.

Her thoughts turned to the mission she had been sent on with her friends, curious to know if they were all right as well. She then began to wonder where she had been taken before she rolled over onto her stomach. Shaking her head, she managed to look up and see shapes contrasted in dim torch light. A voice came, however, that filled her with an overwhelming sense of comfort.

"Hey guys, she's up!" Rainbow Dash shouted into the room as her friends came in from the darkness to see her. They rushed to her side to help her up to her hooves as a smile came across her tired face.

"I'm so glad it's you guys!" Twilight exclaimed, reaching out to hug her friends tightly.

"Ya'll can say that again, while I was out there I got attacked by someone lookin' exactly like you, Twilight," Applejack said, concern in her voice.

"The last thing I remember is seeing you before I was knocked out," Twilight said looking to Applejack.

"It's the same with the rest of us," Rarity explained. "We were all the victims of imposters it seems."

"You are correct," a chilling voice came from the doorway. Beyond the bars of their cell, Queen Chrysalis entered with a sneer on her face.

"Chrysalis!" Twilight shouted in anger.

"We meet again Twilight Sparkle," Chrysalis said with all the smugness in the world. "Only this time on my terms."

"When we get out of here we're going to stop you and your horde of changelings!" Rainbow Dash shouted, flying up towards the bars and looking as though she were trying to bend them. This was met with bemused laughter.

"With what?" Chrysalis asked with a smirk. "You going to bend those bars all by yourselves and beat on me until I give up? I've already taken your precious Elements of Harmony away from you and your magic won't work in here, my partner has seen to that."

At the mention of her partner, shadows snaked into the door Chrysalis had entered. The rolled and gathered before King Sombra stepped out from them. His appearance was met with gasps of surprise from the six ponies as he grinned menacingly at them.

"I would love nothing more than to destroy each of you personally," Sombra said with a low growl. "You cost me my kingdom along with that wretched Princess and her husband. But you're ever so lucky that I have a kingdom to take back or you would each wish I had given you something so sweet as swift destruction."

"You see, you're far too late anyway," Chrysalis added. "As we speak my changelings are preparing to attack your precious Crystal Empire where we will sap the crystal ponies of their happiness. After that, no force in all of Equestria can hope to challenge the combined power of Queen Chrysalis and King Sombra. Our terrible rule shall last for all eternity!"

"Are you quite finished?" Rarity asked from the back of the cell. "Because honestly, these speeches do go on and on. We're the best, blah blah."

"Ya'll will never take th' Crystal Empire anyway," Applejack said with a smirk. "Princess Cadence an' Shinin' Armor are gonna be expectin' ya'll anyway."

"Yeah, and when Princess Celestia hears we never made it back to Ponyville, she's gonna be comin' up here herself!" Rainbow Dash said.

"And then we're gonna throw a big party when we get back to Ponyville!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed, bouncing excitedly.

"Um, what they said," Fluttershy muttered as she shrank a bit into the cell.

"You failed long before you were even able to get your changelings to the Crystal Empire, it's over Chrysalis," Twilight said with a grin. It suddenly faded though as Chrysalis and Sombra both began laughing hysterically. The six ponies looked at one another concerned before Rainbow Dash flew at the bars.

"Hey! What's so funny?! Didn't you hear her, it's over, you lost!"

"Fools," Chrysalis said, wiping a tear from her eye. "Did you really think I would be in here gloating if I didn't already have my changelings prepared to strike. They await my command this very instant to strike from the very heart of the empire!"

"No! That can't be!" Twilight grimaced.

"I'm afraid it is little fool," Chrysalis said peering into the cell. "Changelings are all over the Crystal Empire preparing to feast on the happiness of your precious friends. You should feel lucky though, that you won't suffer their same fate, at least not immediately. You, your friends and your precious princesses shall become mere playthings for my amusement once the whole of Equestria is mine. Should you fail to entertain me, you'll become food for my subjects. All of the love and happiness you hold in your hearts drained away."

Twilight shrank back into the cage with her friends as Chrysalis and Sombra laughed to themselves and began walking back to the door they had entered. As they left the six ponies, Twilight looked back to her friends and sulked, staring at the ground. Her mind turned to her brother and Cadence as she felt her friends place reassuring hooves on her back. There was one thought though that crept into her mind that made her even more sad. The wish that she had made earlier that morning.

As she lay on the cold stone floor, exhaustion seemed to take over as her friends moved to her side and lay with her. All the six could do now was wait and hope that they could either escape or be rescued.