• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 1,471 Views, 6 Comments

Love and War - Unicorn in Sunglasses



Nightmare Moon has returned, and Celestia is in no position to defend her kingdom.

  • ...
2
 6
 1,471

Chapter 1: Luna's Night Out

Chapter 1: Luna's Night Out

"Night Court is dismissed!" Princess Luna announced. About twenty ponies left the throne room.

Luna got off the throne, yawning. It was about three o' clock in the morning, and the Lunar Princess was exhausted. Ever since the "Pony" magazine announced Princess Luna the best princess, Luna had been getting more and more visitors. Usually, Luna only got about ten visitors, but tonight, she had forty three.

Before, ponies had often preferred Celestia's court rather than Luna's. For starters, it was more convenient to go in the morning rather than at night, and besides, Celestia was the higher authority in Equestria. However, Princess Luna had a tendency to...bend the rules at times, while Celestia was more strict with the laws, seeing as she had written most of them.

But now, the few ponies left in the court were leaving, and a new group of guards went to watch the Night Court while the previous guards left. Luna stretched her wings, her legs, and even cracked her neck before lighting her horn and vanishing, only to appear once more on the balcony in her bedroom.

She looked up at her moon, a truly beautiful sight in a sky of black. It was a shame no pony saw her night, it was so beautiful, and Luna worked a lot on it. Luna's job was really a lot harder than Celestia's. All Celestia had to do was raise the Sun and then start her day, but Luna had to follow a specific Lunar cycle, raise the stars, and make sure they were all in the correct place. And it wasn't fair that Celestia's morning was so much more...important than her night.

"Stop it." Luna said aloud. She was thinking like she had one thousand years ago, and those thoughts were the exact things that had created Nightmare Moon. But it was true. No pony appreciated her night. No pony even looked at her night!

Luna sighed. What was she even doing? Sitting here, on her balcony, crying about her life troubles? Luna recalled her childhood. How her, Celestia, Discord, and even...Chrysalis and Sombra had always explored during the night. Then Discord became evil, Sombra became evil, Luna followed suit, and sometime during her banishment, Chrysalis disconnected from Equestria. And became evil, of course.

Luna missed the old days. But if no one would have fun with her, Luna would just have to have fun alone.

The Lunar princess spread her magnificent wings, and flew into the sky. Being royal and all, she hardly ever even used her wings, she always had carriages hauling her around Equestria, but that was when she actually went places of course."Princess! Princess Luna! Where are you going?" Screamed an Earth Pony who was guarding the front doors to the castle. "I don't know. But I'll be back." And Luna flew away.

She didn't quite know where she was going, but it would be far away from the castle, and she would make it back in time to lower the moon. She flew straight, not even paying attention to where she was going. All she knew was that she had to be back by the time the moon called her.

Yes. Luna didn't need an alarm to wake her up when it was time to raise the moon, the moon woke her. Luna and the moon had a certain...bond. When it was time to raise or lower the moon, Luna felt it.

"It's Princess Luna!" Said a young Earth Pony outside of a nightclub. No it's- Oh by Starswirl's beard, it is!" Said another pony. Luna paused in the sky. "LOOK EVERYPONY IT'S PRINCESS LUNA!"

Ponies ran out of the nightclub. An awful lot of them were drunk, but eh, it was a nightclub. Why not have a little fun, the Princess thought to herself. She landed gracefully on the ground in front of a group of eager ponies, a quarter of them drunk, a few still sober, and some only buzzed. One even fainted before her.

Luna simply trotted into the nightclub, ignoring the oohing and awing ponies. The music was booming, and a bunch of bright white lights were flashing...everywhere. "Princess Luna...welcome to-to Lunessa!" Luna blinked. "A...nightclub? Named after me?" The manager, as it seemed, nodded. "Wow...huh. Well then, where's the bar?" Luna asked. The manager smiled.

"Bubblegum! Show are very, very, special guest Princess Luna the bar!" A pink earth pony wearing nothing more than a very, very small yellow shirt led Princess Luna to the bar.

Ponies were following the Lunar Princess, many taking pictures. Luna didn't know many nightclubs in Canterlot, but clearly, this was a very famous one. "Your highness-" Luna rolled her eyes. "Luna. Address me as Luna, and nothing more." The bartender smiled. She was clearly also pretty young, a yellow-white mare with a brown mane and light blue eyes. "What would you like to drink?"

Luna thought a moment. It had been so long since she had even had anything to drink. She glanced at the glowing menu and smiled, "A Luna martini." She said mischievously. The mare rushed away and just seconds later the bartender handed Luna a very well-made martini. She glanced at it curiously. She hasn't been drunk in a thousand years, and she had only gotten drunk once.

"I...have my own martini?" Luna asked. "Of course! This club is even named after you!" A club? Named after Princess Luna? "Huh." Luna picked up the glass with her magic, and took a sip. The flavors touched her tongue and Luna instantly fell in love. She put the glass to her lips once more and took yet another sip, and then a very large gulp. It was...wonderful. She picked it up again, and this time, chugged it.

"WHO'S READY TO PARTY?!" Luna asked in the royal Canterlot voice, tossing the empty glass to the side. Until that moment the ponies in the bar had been silent, but now the music was back on, and ponies were heading to the bar, to the dance floor, to the bathroom...

"LUNAR PRINCESS IN THE HOUSE!" Screamed the DJ, a blue-maned unicorn in sunglasses. The music started blasting, and it was exactly the kind Luna liked.

A group of ponies gathered around the princess, asking questions and taking pictures. Was this what it felt like to be...liked?

"Ummm...bits, Luna?" Asked the bartender. "Oh, I-" Luna realized she had absolutely no bits.

"It's on me." Said a smiling gray coated unicorn. A royal guard. The royal guard levitated his wallet toward him, and pulled out a few bits. "No, I'll pay!"
"I'll pay!"
"I'm the richest pony here!" A fight seemed to have broken out, and strangely enough, it was about who would pay Princess Luna's bill.

"It's been paid!" Said an annoyed Pegasus mare. "Thank you." Luna said. "Are you a royal guard?" Luna asked the gray coated colt who had paid for her drink. "Don't I look like one?" He asked with a grin.

"My turn...what brings you here?" He asked. Luna thought. She actually didn't even know why she was here. "Sheer boredom." The princess said. "What brings you out so late?" She knew what game they were playing.

"I'm a night guard with a night off. Finest night guard in the castle, but Armor gave me the night off. My turn. Would you like another drink?"

"Sure." While other ponies were gathered around the bar, all demanding drinks, the bartender made Luna's first. While Luna was finishing her champagne, she was being bombarded with questions, and tried her best to answer all of them.

When Luna finished her drink, she was feeling just a little drunk. Just a little. The colt who had bought her drink was still sitting next to her, gazing intently at her. "Anyway, it's my turn. What's your name?" The colt smiled "Iron Sword, at your service. Wanna dance?" Luna was beginning to like this colt.

"Gladly." The two trotted to the dance floor, where half the ponies at the bar followed them. "PRINCESS LUNA IS ON THE DANCE FLOOR!" Screamed the DJ. She turned on a song, and Luna danced to her heart's content, grinding on Iron, and even singing along to a few of the songs that she knew. A few ponies were on stage, obviously professional dancers, and stripper ponies were just about everywhere.

All over the club ponies were making out, dancing, and many sneaking away into some of the more private rooms to, well, you know...

Ponies all around Luna were trying to dance with her, colts mostly, and mares were trying to look cool. Colts were trying to flirt with her, and one had even been dragged out by a jumper. Over by the bar, two mares were fighting over a colt, who was just sorta standing there, not knowing what to do.

Luna stopped dancing to approach the couple, who were screaming at each other and throwing drinks. The Pegasus mare had the upper hand, but the Earth Pony mare was pretty good. "Enough!" Said Luna in a royal Canterlot voice. The club shut up. "What's going on?" Asked the Princess staring at the two ponies.

"She was making out with my boyfriend!" Said the earth pony, pointing an accusing hoof at the Pegasus who was still in the air crossing her arms. Luna giggled. She was still, of course a little drunk. Luna turned to colt, he looked a little scared. "How many other ponies have you cheated with?" Luna asked, glaring at the colt.

"How do you know-" both mares went up to the colt and gave him a smack, one at a time. "You said we had something!" The Pegasus said. But the mare was just glaring at him.

"Don't bother coming home." She said. Then, she turned to Princess Luna, who found the whole situation hilarious. "Thank you, princess, for showing me what an ASSHOLE he is. My name is Alana." Now looking a bit more closely, Alana was clearly a very beautiful mare. She had a medium pink coat with a blonde mane, and her cutie mark was a bouquet of flowers. "You know...if you ever need a wedding planner, that's my special talent." Luna giggled.

The Pegasus went up to Luna too, obviously nervous. "Yeah, I'm Bronzy. Thanks for, like, helping me." She turned around and Luna saw her cutie mark, an eyeshadow palette. She had a bronze coat with a deep red mane.

"Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't know he was in a relationship. I'll buy you a drink." Then, the two mares left.

The crowd of ponies left, but a few stayed, just to be with Luna. "I forgot you were there! Can I...have another drink?" The Princess asked, scratching her head. Iron laughed, and led the princess back to the bar, tossed some bits onto the table, and within seconds, Luna was brought her drink.

"Thanks." Suddenly, Luna felt the moon's tug. It was time to raise the moon. "Crap!" She said aloud. "What?" The guard asked, glancing around the bar. He really was a good guard.

"I need to raise the moon! I need to leave! Now!" The guard scratched his head. "Ok...I'll transport you there." Luna laughed aloud. Iron was such a gentleman. "I can do it by myself. I won't ruin your night."

"Nonsense." With a flash of dark blue light, Luna and Iron appeared in front of the castle. "Ummm...thanks..." Luna said. "But I smell like alcohol!" It was true. Luna smelled like a young pony who had just come home from prom, not that Luna had ever even been to prom. "I know a spell for that!" The colt flashed his horn, and the stench was gone. "Thanks...wanna meet, like, tomorrow?" Luna asked. "Sure. Where?"

The Princess grinned. "My bedroom."

Before Iron could respond, Luna flapped her wings and landed on the balcony where she was supposed to raise the moon. She looked down and waved to Iron, who seemed to have been watching her. He waved back, and then trotted to the Guard House, where the guards slept and stuff.

Within minutes, Celestia appeared, yawning, her crown lopsided on her head. "Tia...your crown..." She used her magic to fix the crown and Celestia smiled. "How was the Night Court?" Celestia asked. The dark blue alicorn rolled her eyes "Forty three ponies. I usually only get ten!" Tia giggled "I wish I had that many."

Luna sighed. It had been a while since she had actually had a real conversation with her sister.

Author's Note:

Again, sorry for any mistakes, it was written on my phone, like all the chapters will be. Helpful criticism appreciated and "Ponies" magazine is a pony version of "People" magazine, if you were wondering.